It's November 2019: What fantasy book are you reading?

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I'm currently re-reading Bakker's Prince of Nothing series. Am now racing through book 2 (the Warrior-Prophet) and having a lot of fun. Morbid fun though (these books are as dark as I remembered).

How 'bout you?

kenubrion

Journeyed there and back again
I am involved with a multi-week marathon of reading the Tom Swan series of medieval chivalrous historical mini-novels by Miles Cameron writing as Christian Cameron. As with his Chivalry series starring Sir William Gold these are historically accurate with fictitious characters living and fighting in the middle 15th century against the Turks. It reads like fantasy to me and the accuracy of the weaponry and armor in his Red Knight series makes this all seem familiar. Anyone who loved the Red Knight will love these and I highly recommend you start with The Ill-Made Knight.

rudyjuly2

I’m getting near the end of the third and final (initial) Mistborn book. Have to say the final book has been the weakest so far. Been very slow. The first two books had slow stretches and usually built in some good stuff to break it and both finished with a bang. Really hoping I get a great finish as this has dragged too much so far.

Then the Burning White will happen. Read all 4 books about 1.5 years ago. Praying I can remember most things still. That series is one of my all time favourites.

I also see the sequel to Skyward has been released. Another thing to look forward to.

ReguIa

Okay Lightbringer ended up NOT being one of the strongest endings I've read. I thought it was solid overall, however one arc in particular is one of the best things I've read.

@rudyjuly2 Where are you exactly in Hero of Ages? 5 years since I read it so I don't remember everything, but while I recall the middle being a bit slow the last third? or something definitely is not.

rudyjuly2

Okay Lightbringer ended up NOT being one of the strongest endings I've read. I thought it was solid overall, however one arc in particular is one of the best things I've read.

@rudyjuly2 Where are you exactly in Hero of Ages? 5 years since I read it so I don't remember everything, but while I recall the middle being a bit slow the last third? or something definitely is not.
I’m right near the end now. The finale of the book has been really good but I still think the bulk of this final book was slower than the first two. I didn’t see this twist coming but I’m pretty bad at seeing this stuff.

Vins earring blocking her from using the mists and what happened with her mom and sister.

stenney

Got in a fistfight with Dresden
The Burning White, about 1/3 in. A bit slower at the start, but still very good.

finished Red Sister before this, and liked the world, will do Grey Sister next, really love Lawrence's works,

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I am involved with a multi-week marathon of reading the Tom Swan series of medieval chivalrous historical mini-novels by Miles Cameron writing as Christian Cameron. As with his Chivalry series starring Sir William Gold these are historically accurate with fictitious characters living and fighting in the middle 15th century against the Turks. It reads like fantasy to me and the accuracy of the weaponry and armor in his Red Knight series makes this all seem familiar. Anyone who loved the Red Knight will love these and I highly recommend you start with The Ill-Made Knight.
The Red Knight is awesome in my opinion, so I will definitely put this new series on my TBR list. Thanks for pointing it out

rudyjuly2

The Burning White, about 1/3 in. A bit slower at the start, but still very good.

finished Red Sister before this, and liked the world, will do Grey Sister next, really love Lawrence's works,
Just starting the Burning White. Almost 50 pages in and I find my memory is failing. I read all 4 books about 1.5+ years ago but the names of the side characters and where their story lines finished after 4 books eludes me. I can remember enough major things but the recaps at the beginning didn't fill in enough of the side details. Struggling a bit.

Maark Abbott

I finished Reincarnated as a Vending Machine 3 and have moved onto SukaSuka 1 for light novels. In full novels I am halfway through Black Sun Rising.[/I]

stenney

Just starting the Burning White. Almost 50 pages in and I find my memory is failing. I read all 4 books about 1.5+ years ago but the names of the side characters and where their story lines finished after 4 books eludes me. I can remember enough major things but the recaps at the beginning didn't fill in enough of the side details. Struggling a bit.
i can see that, i just read books 1-4 from august to september this year, and only did 2 books until this one came out, and there are still some details that are fuzzy. but i will reread this series all in a row at some point in the future, i really love it.

TheBloodyNine85

Just getting started on Joe Abercrombie's A Little Hatred, which will go by too fast. Next up will The True Bastards by Jonathan French, sequel to last years The Grey Bastards, a book I had a lot of fun with.

Cyphon

Been in a pretty big reading slump but with The Burning White out I am back to reading. I am about 270 pages in and while it started slow it is starting to gain speed and I am excited to keep going. One thing that is jumping out at me that I don't remember from the previous books is that it feels like Weeks is overwriting in certain parts of the book. Like every character is using/think in unecessarily complicated words and waxing a bit too poetic for my taste.

Perfect example coming from the chapter I just read.

"Kip looked out over all those thousands of people taking his direction, and though he knew it was there, he didn't see the glory of the community united, unselfish, moving toward a worthy goal. He saw thousands of people he could fail. Ten thousand ways he could fall short. And yet, how could he solve the paradoxical audacity in his breast?"

Like what the hell is that all about in a Kip chapter? That doesn't even remotely seem like words he would use or thoughts he would have and really no character in the book would IMO. This isn't the only time I noticed it and in my opinion he seems to lose the voice of his characters in those moments. Like he really dug into a dictionary while writing this final book to show us how many big words he knows instead of staying true to what he had already established.

rudyjuly2

I agree Cyphon. There has been a disconnect at times between this book and the rest of the series. I didn’t think it was just me forgetting stuff. I’m 200 pages in to Burning White and at least we have some better moments between characters now. The first 100 pages was slow, lacked emotion and was overly political and strategic. And there have been numerous times where I’ve had to resort to my dictionary on Kindle to double check words.

kenubrion

Just finished Quillifer the Knight by Walter Jon Williams, the sequel to Quillifer, and I loved it. It's a chivalry-based story about the title character who goes through more action and romance than a dozen other knights, a rise-from-tragedy to fame story with a very appealing star player. This book follows his rise to the royal courts and the dangers and intrigues hiding therein are far more dangerous than he found in the road to the palace to begin with. Action on every page. Williams is one of my favorite authors. I highly recommend this book to everyone who can read.