It's November 2019: What fantasy book are you reading?

rudyjuly2

Journeyed there and back again
Halfway through Burning White and while I have enjoyed some things I have found it disjointed, slow and overly political at times and lacking the special qualities of the first 4 books. The previous books were great based on the characters and some mystery. Not a lot of mystery left and the character interaction hasn’t been as good imo.

Even Gavin pilgrimage up the Tower was disjointed. If it’s a test of 7 things why didn’t we get more detail? We sort of get one flashback to Marissia (which was good) and not much else. That could have been interesting and yet it felt off. And where is Gunner while this is going on?

ReguIa

why didn’t we get more detail?
It's coming.

Overall I'm satisfied with the ending. Could have been better for sure, but definitely not disappointing. Without Gavins arc however I doubt I would've found these books better than average.
IMO there's too much Kip and Teia. Not something that sit well with me when my favorite characters are Gavin and Andross.

I started A Starless Sea today. I haven't read The Night Circus but I've heard good things about it, and her new book is supposed to be really good too.

Last edited:

Derk of Derkholm

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I'm now reading Bakker's second series set in Earwa; the Aspect-Emperor. Just finished the Prince of Nothing series. I read both series some 8 years ago (the second series until book 2, the others were not released yet back then) and I absolutely loved them. Great dark atmosphere and style, interesting philosophical exploration. Now with the re-read I still enjoy it a lot.

Maark Abbott

The Unholy Consult was far and away the best book I read last year.

I am 2/3 through Black Sun Rising. I am enjoying this quite a bit.

Derk of Derkholm

Catching up on Alex Verus now.....