It's November 2020: What fantasy book are you reading?

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Hi all! What are y'all reading? Not reading fantasy right now. I'm reading the latest book by Douglas Murray called 'the madness of crowds'. I do have the Witcher series on the shelf though. I think that will be my next project.

afa

Journeyed there and back again
Still reading (some days) Rogue Protocol. As usual, not getting much time to read, but I try to sneak in a few minutes before sleeping.

I'm reading the latest book by Douglas Murray called 'the madness of crowds'.
Isn't he a neocon and an Islamophobe?

Also, it's funny that the last book in Abercrombie's current trilogy is to be called The Wisdom of Crowds.

rudyjuly2

I'm 30% done the Vagrant (page 120). I still don't know how exactly how I feel about it. I like it but it is strange. I'm not a Mad Max fan and this book has a similarly weird vibe - it's a lot more like a post apolcalyptic sci-fi adventure than fantasy imo. Not sure why it's a Fantasy book other than there is some magic and a sword? Maybe there is no category to explain it. It's hard to picture some of the stuff that is going on as well.

I like the Vagrant despite the fact he can't talk. A couple of things haven't really been explained including the true nature of his "companion". I will continue reading.

kenubrion

I'm 30% done the Vagrant (page 120). I still don't know how exactly how I feel about it. I like it but it is strange. I'm not a Mad Max fan and this book has a similarly weird vibe - it's a lot more like a post apolcalyptic sci-fi adventure than fantasy imo. Not sure why it's a Fantasy book other than there is some magic and a sword? Maybe there is no category to explain it. It's hard to picture some of the stuff that is going on as well.

I like the Vagrant despite the fact he can't talk. A couple of things haven't really been explained including the true nature of his "companion". I will continue reading.
I have been reading his new book The Deathless on and off while I go back and forth between The Liar's Key by Mark Lawrence and The Trouble With Peace. It's been so long since I read Prince of Fools that I'm having a hard time getting into Liar's Key. I just read about a reference to The Builders and NOW I remember. I think I'll stay with Liar's as I'm 16% into that and just 8% into Trouble With Peace. I wonder if anyone else has read Liar's Key and Wheel of Osheim?

Anyway I agree with you rudyjuly about the vagrant. I liked it but I didn't follow up with the next book after I read the sample.

Cyphon

I need something to re-ignite the flame. None of my go to authors have anything new available soon as far as I know and I can't find an author I haven't read that sounds appealing.

I need my a new Scott Lynch or something.

rudyjuly2

I need something to re-ignite the flame. None of my go to authors have anything new available soon as far as I know and I can't find an author I haven't read that sounds appealing.

I need my a new Scott Lynch or something.
I got a PS5 so my reading is taking a hit now lol. Halfway through Vagrant but I’m moving slowly. Next would be Sanderson new book Rhythm of War.

Cyphon

I got a PS5 so my reading is taking a hit now lol. Halfway through Vagrant but I’m moving slowly. Next would be Sanderson new book Rhythm of War.
Oh yeah forgot I had preordered that one.

Decided to do a second read of Red Rising. This series was fantastic my first time through. Put down the 2nd trilogy because it had been too long and I was kind of at a loss for what was going on. Figure if this one catches me the same way as the first time it will boost me into the 2nd trilogy.

stenney

Fought a battle in the name of the old gods
just finished Rockslide (StreetRats of Aramoor bk 3) by Michael Wisehart. fun and easy read. this was a nice quick story, no huge stakes. it was a nice palate cleanser, so to say, after finishing Kings of Ash and Kings of Heaven back to back. those were both very good, and wrapped up nicely, great debut trilogy from Richard Nell, highly recommend.

rudyjuly2

Nice. Is it as ginormous in person as it seems in photos? Did you get the Digital Edition or the one with the disc?
Got the disc version. Between me and the kids we got NBA 2K, AC Valhalla, Godfall and Sack Boy. It’s really smooth. Graphics are nice with 60 FPS being really nice. Super quick load times are really good. Graphics were already nice on PS4 but for a game like AC Valhalla it’s got some really nice looking environments and renders and at 60 FPS it’s clearly an upgrade. Some player models could still see some improvements but it’s nice.

It has been a bit buggy with crashes. I think the controller has been really cool. The haptic feedback has pushback on buttons and this cool rumble affects. The free Astro playroom really highlights it and it’s very nice. A pretty big feature depending on if a game will use it. Even in basketball as a player is tired the turbo button pushes back and gets harder.

kenubrion

I liked Zelda and the Kings Quest games so much that I have to resist playing them now when I'm retired because it would be all I would do. Besides the new games aren't like those old ones with treasures and increasing powers and talents, I assume anyway.

stenney, I'm savoring Kings of Heaven and just reading a few pages at a time. Don't want this trilogy to end.

Cyphon

I liked Zelda and the Kings Quest games so much that I have to resist playing them now when I'm retired because it would be all I would do. Besides the new games aren't like those old ones with treasures and increasing powers and talents, I assume anyway.
The newest Zelda for the Nintendo Switch moved away from linear story progression but kept a some of the same elements of your classic Zelda games. It did become a lot more advanced with the RPG elements. Instead of just going from sword A to sword B by completing a dungeoun there are a lot of varying weapons with different levels of durability you constantly break and replace. It is kind of a Zelda meets Fable I guess.

There is another one for the Switch that looks a lot like the SNES Zelda game. I really want to play it but haven't yet.

rudyjuly2

Final Vagrant Review.

This is a hard book to review. First it’s not really fantasy. This is a post apocalyptic Sci-fi book as much as it is fantasy. And the main protagonist doesn’t utter a word through the entire book although it largely works and never bothered me. Just because the Vagrant has a sword doesn't automatically make it fantasy. But I didn't mind this.

It sets up as an epic tale of good vs evil but most of the book is about the Vagrant and a journey from one place to another. He meets and deals with people along the way including some scuffles. In many ways it’s anti-climatic. Side characters do change and we get flashbacks to fill in the story and what is going on. There were times when I think things could have been explained better and it wasn't always easy to visualize what was going on. The story comes to a bit of a conclusion while setting up more.

Generally speaking it’s well written but an odd tale that is hard to explain and also hard for me to recommend. I didn’t love it but I did enjoy most of it even if it was odd.

I will give it 3.5/5 but round down as a 4/5 or higher means I would recommend it to others. I won't continue at this point but may later.

I was actually a little annoyed at how quickly the story went through the side characters. Some you like and then are gone.

afa

Got the disc version.
Yeah, I think disc is the way to go. I know digital is easier and more convenient in some ways, but one problem with the entertainment industry moving to digital for all media is no resales. With a disc, I can sell a game I'm done with and recover some of my cost, and then use that towards a new game. My cousin does this with his PS4 all the time. He's played virtually every "big" game there is, but doesn't spend much because he buys it, finishes it, then either returns it for store credit or sells it on Kijiji or something and then adds a little more to get another game. Saves him a ton. Like Ghost of Tsushima; he bought it for about $80, finished it, then sold it for $70. Then when he wanted another AAA game, he just needed to put in another $10 and he had a new game, and so on. Compared to digital where you would have to pay $80 every time you want a game. Digital is probably better for Sony and the developers bottom line, but disc is better for consumers.

The free Astro playroom really highlights it and it’s very nice.
Yeah, I've seen videos of that. It's pretty cool that Sony made an entire game who primary purpose is really just to showcase the versatility of the new controller.

kenubrion

The newest Zelda for the Nintendo Switch moved away from linear story progression but kept a some of the same elements of your classic Zelda games. It did become a lot more advanced with the RPG elements. Instead of just going from sword A to sword B by completing a dungeoun there are a lot of varying weapons with different levels of durability you constantly break and replace. It is kind of a Zelda meets Fable I guess.

There is another one for the Switch that looks a lot like the SNES Zelda game. I really want to play it but haven't yet.
Thanks Cyphon. So you have to buy a new player to play each companies games? Guess that's obvious. Well now I really want to buy this and the game.

kenubrion

I finished my previous non-fiction book and started on Tiamat's Wrath (Expanse #8), which had been lying on the shelf for a while.
That's right Silvion, you're the person who I had noticed was so far into the series. I was wondering about your ranking of the books from Abbadon's Gate forward. I really liked Gate but Cibola Burn seems to be dragging.

Jakyro

That's right Silvion, you're the person who I had noticed was so far into the series. I was wondering about your ranking of the books from Abbadon's Gate forward. I really liked Gate but Cibola Burn seems to be dragging.
I've been reading The Expanse this year; I started with Leviathan Wakes in january and currently I'm on Persepolis Rising (Expanse #7). I should end it by the end of the month. After that I'll start immediatly with book 8. I liked all the books, but Cibola Burn was the weakest so far. It dragged too much and it's only in the last 25% of the book that it got more interesting. It's the only one I gave a 3 star rating, all others were 4 or 5 star ratings for me. Just get through this one and you should be ok.

kenubrion

I've been reading The Expanse this year; I started with Leviathan Wakes in january and currently I'm on Persepolis Rising (Expanse #7). I should end it by the end of the month. After that I'll start immediatly with book 8. I liked all the books, but Cibola Burn was the weakest so far. It dragged too much and it's only in the last 25% of the book that it got more interesting. It's the only one I gave a 3 star rating, all others were 4 or 5 star ratings for me. Just get through this one and you should be ok.
Thank you Jakyro. You have put my mind at ease. I think I'll just skim through it and get on to the next one.