It's November 2020: What fantasy book are you reading?

ReguIa

Journeyed there and back again
I wanted to get Rhythm of War today but had no idea my local would end up selling all their 300 copies in just 5 hours. Goes to show just how popular this series is because that never happens here. I still haven't read Dawnshard though so it's not the end of the world.

Khartun

Cyphon

I am definitely going to need a recap because it will take too long to back through all 3 books before I read it. By the way this thing is a damn TOME.

That being said, going to finish out the Red Rising trilogy I just started before I dive in. Really engrossed in book 1 right now.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
That's right Silvion, you're the person who I had noticed was so far into the series. I was wondering about your ranking of the books from Abbadon's Gate forward. I really liked Gate but Cibola Burn seems to be dragging.
I agree with you and Jakyro. Cibola Burn was the weakest one for me too. Quite a drag to be honest. The subsequent books are a lot of fun though.

I'm 25% into book 8 and I realise I've forgotten so much! I read all books in one go about two years ago, but left this one on the shelf for a while. After some chapters I went online to read a summary, because I was really lost at some points.

ReguIa

Nemesis Games and Tiamat's Wrath are the two favorites from the series. The only weak book after Cibola Burn is Babylon's Ashes but it's still more liked than Cibola Burn. Book 7, Persepolis Rising is also really, really good. A certain thing about it breathed new life into the series, something it didn't even need IMO, and as a result the series became even better.
Tiamat is #1 and Nemesis/Persepolis #2 for me.

kenubrion

Thank you all for the Expanse reviews. Cibola Burn was a slog but now I get to read Nemesis Games. The unanimity of opinions on these books is cool. A great reason to belong here.

rudyjuly2

Just started reading Rhythm of War. What was annoying was that page numbers were NOT being shown on the Kindle version. I found a Reddit thread where they were having the same issue. But if you open the book in a Kindle App on your phone it does have the page numbers. If you sync it then go back to my Paperwhite the page numbers do show up. Odd but a good solution for Kindle users.

ReguIa

Finished Dune yesterday which I thought was just incredible. However I thought it had a good ending and definitely don't see the need for the 3-4 sequels?

I'm now on to Dawnshard and planning on going into Rhythm of War when I get my hands on it later this week. It's so much fun reading Stormlight again. I've read a lot of great stuff this year but there's just something about the world of Roshar that feels so comfortable in a way.

Also considering all the Expanse talk here recently, the show just got cancelled again unfortunately. Fucking sucks if you ask me. We're getting one more season after the upcoming 5th but I honestly don't see the point for it if they're not going to adapt the endgame trilogy.

kenubrion

but I honestly don't see the point for it if they're not going to adapt the endgame trilogy.
I'm just finishing Nemesis Games and wondering what you mean by endgame trilogy. The last three books are considered that?

kenubrion

@kenubrion Yea they wrote the series in 3 arcs of 3 books each. If they stop at season 6 (Babylon's Ashes) they won't get to the Protomolecule conclusion.
Thanks. I didn't realize the show was on Prime so I need to check it out.

Jakyro

Also considering all the Expanse talk here recently, the show just got cancelled again unfortunately. Fucking sucks if you ask me. We're getting one more season after the upcoming 5th but I honestly don't see the point for it if they're not going to adapt the endgame trilogy.
I'm about to finish Persepolis Rising (book 7), and I have book 8 planned for December. Once I finished those I would have liked to start the show.
Did they mention any reason for the cancellation?

ReguIa

@Jakyro It's pretty unclear atm. In their words it wasn't cancelled but pitched as an ending the producers want. Which is weird as hell when they're going to completely skip the series ending.
If it wasn't working out for Amazon it's confusing why they greenlit seasons 5 and 6 in the first place. And now cancelling it without seeing how at the very least season 5 performs. The last 3 books could also be condensed into 2 seasons. If you're planning the 6th anyway it seems a good choice to finish it and you'll have a complete show that will draw viewers for a long time to your streaming service.

rudyjuly2

I'm now on to Dawnshard and planning on going into Rhythm of War when I get my hands on it later this week. It's so much fun reading Stormlight again. I've read a lot of great stuff this year but there's just something about the world of Roshar that feels so comfortable in a way.
I didn’t even realize Dawnshard was another novella between books. I’ve gotten some of the others through the library. The Lift one was solid but I refuse to pay a large amount of money for short books. I remember being appalled at the price of a 60 page novella for the Steelheart series. I saw you gave Dawnshard 3 stars?

rudyjuly2

I have been critical of Shallan in this Stormlight series. I think Sanderson struggles to write witty characters much like he struggled writing Mat at the end of WOT. Shallan came across as far more annoying. But I grew to at least not hate her character by book two. In this book, with her multiple personalities, I think it makes her a lot more interesting. I have enjoyed reading her chapters so far (only on page 143).

What other fantasy series will have every book over 1000 pages? I don't know if this series will end up as an all-time classic of Epic Fantasy or not but the page counts are.