It's October 2017 - What fantasy books are you reading?

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by kenubrion, Oct 1, 2017.

1. kenubrion

kenubrion Journeyed there and back again

I'm reading The Golem and the Jinni.

2. ReguIa

ReguIa Journeyed there and back again

Eye of the World, almost finished too. After that I'm going to read something shorter, Ship of the Dead, the new Norse book by Rick Riordan and Edgedancer (the Stormlight novella) in preparation for Oathbringer. When I'm done with those it's time for La Belle Sauvage, Philip Pullman's new addition to His Dark Materials. Which I read only a year ago too, such a great timing!

3. Peat

Peat Journeyed there and back again

I tried Swords and Scoundrels by Julia Knight. Think its a DNF.

Kenubrion, how's Golem and the Djinni?

4. kenubrion

I'm just 10% in Peat but the backstory of each is compelling. I like Wecker's writing and I think this is a debut so I'm impressed.

5. Sneaky Burrito

Sneaky Burrito Crazy Cat Lady Staff Member

I am reading Ruin of Angels by Max Gladstone in paper and An Echo of Things to Come by James Islington in Kindle. Reading has slowed down for the time being. I'm falling asleep at like 9:30 PM.

6. rudyjuly2

rudyjuly2 A Poet of the Khaiem

Almost done The Dragonbone Chair. 91% done and unsure if I will continue with the series. The last 10% has been solid but it's been such a slow read for me. Constantly picking it up and putting it back down as I get bored quickly by the over abundance of descriptive writing. My gosh, every change in character or scenery starts out trying to bore me to death. The story just feels disjointed and I don't think the writing is that strong. Some characters are interesting but I have not been sucked in. Part of that is I don't care that much about the primary character Simon but the painfully slow world building and long winded descriptions really hurt my enjoyment.

7. btkong

btkong Journeyed there and back again Staff Member

The Core by Peter V Brett. Finally finishing up this series. I hope he doesn't drop the ball on this one -- the series really started out pretty awesome but the last few books killed it. I'll post my review on the review part of the forum when done.

8. kenubrion

Hey bt, the Amazon forums are all closing forever on Oct 6. Do you want the fantasy books forum and sci-fi forum there to know about this place?

9. Hand of Fear

Hand of Fear Journeyed there and back again

Currently reading The third book of the first law trilogy, The Last Argument of Kings !

10. Sneaky Burrito

Can you still post there? I've seen reports of most places (not TRF yet, but a lot of other ones) already being locked out. If you can get the word out, I think we would all welcome some new members.

11. rudyjuly2

Finished the Dragonbone Chair and while the last 20% picked up I won't continue. There just isn't anything really special about this book for me. The slow pace and overly descriptive style caused a very slow read. Far too boring in parts as I had to push my way through. It had the feel of a mediocre indie book to me. I don't think it aged well compared to modern fantasy.

On to the Red Knight by Miles Cameron! That is a completed (?) 5 book series I think. Oathbringer may be delayed if I like this series.

12. kenubrion

Thanks Sneaky. It has been done, for the fantasy forum as well as the sci-fi side. ABatch and Boreas issued the invites before posting was halted.

13. Cyphon

Cyphon Ran bridges next to Kaladin

Didn't realize this was out already. Going to be getting right on this.

The series has its flaws but I am a bigger fan than most.

14. TomTB

TomTB The Master Tweeter Staff Member

That's a shame. I was kind of in the same boat after book 1, and to a much lesser extent book 2, but the finale to the trilogy is superb, one of my favourites. I'm really looking forward to the new trilogy. The recent novella was brilliant too!

15. Sneaky Burrito

Not yet. Last book still not out. But he doesn't take a long time between books. I'm sure it'll be here soon.

Ah, just checked Ammy. Halloween release date in the US.

16. Jakyro

Jakyro Journeyed there and back again

Finished Dust of Dreams two weeks ago and I liked it a lot, more than I expected as it is often mentioned as one of the lesser books. I feel that Erikson did a lot of things right with this book after the (for me) disappointing Toll the Hounds.

I'm already busy with Orb Sceptre Throne and I should finish it today or tomorrow. I'm liking it pretty well so far. Once finished I'm heading immediately into The Crippled God; I usually take a break from Malazan after 2-3 books, but TCG will be the fourth in a row now.

17. fl1pper

fl1pper Helped Logen count his fingers

I'm just coming towards the end of Deadhouse Gates and am agonising about whether to have a break or not. Not because I am fed up of Malazan, far from it, but the books do require a lot more concentration than most.

18. Anti_Quated

Anti_Quated Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

More than halfway through Drawing of the Three. Initially I was feverishly smashing through, really engaged even though I loathe junkies and have zero sympathy for addicts. Call it a lingering, small measure of good-will cultivated by shit-heel no-hopers like Marron Shed and Asa from Black Company, but Eddie was tolerable and Roland equally badarse despite the Lobstrosities (John Carpenter's The Thing immediately came to mind!). Then Odetta turned up. And I lost it.

Between the crude and vulgar schizophrenic masturbation scene, and the jarring 'uppety nigger' transition to 'GOAN FUCK YOU UP HONKY!' it was just too much. Creative? Sure. Entertaining, stimulating, or any sort of positive appeal? Not my cup of tea at all. I'm at a loss for Eddie's day one romantic blue-balls for her, and the unappealing nonsense spewing out of this woman's mouth. It's sort of odd, in that the character (or half, leastways) is rather racist and uncouth, yet this portrayal is seemingly built entirely on racist caricatures of low socioeconomic African-American cultural discourse and colloquialisms. Not to mention garish and simplistic 'shopping' habits. I do hope the Lady of Shadows leaves the cast swiftly, or undergoes a metamorphosis into a more bearable character. It's way too similar (and perhaps inspired) that Family Guy clip of Condoleeza Rice as a wild, frothing Black Panther race agitator in her college days. About as appealing too, which is disappointing given how I started to really enjoy the book/series. Of course, it may be a Yankee thing that I don't have a sufficiently authentic or anecdotal experience or understanding of (wouldn't be the first time either, mind), and in my ignorance cannot fully comprehend nor appreciate whatever brilliance may lay in King's possibly perspicacious delineation.

Fingers crossed for an upswing. Elseways I think I might shuffle on and started a second book to break-up the drivel and nonsense dialogue.

19. rudyjuly2

Yeah, I was hoping to like it more but the style doesn't fit me I guess. Different strokes!
    :)

20. fl1pper

fl1pper Helped Logen count his fingers

Just started listening to Neverwhere - Neil Gaiman. Had me laughing out loud on my dog walk so that's a good start.