It's October 2017 - What fantasy books are you reading?

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by kenubrion, Oct 1, 2017.

1. Alucard

Alucard In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge! Staff Member

I finished Wizard and Glass. I liked it well enough, but wasn't so into the flashback part. It was too long, although written really well. I don't know, it just took me out of the story. Like I was reading some other book, even though I found Roland's past and the events of Mejis barony interesting, I am much more into the present story of Jake, Eddie and Susannah.

So that is my 30th book I've read this year. I would have finished my original GR challenge for 2017 with WaG, but I've upped the challenge to 40 books for this year.
    I'm not overly sure I will meet it, but we'll see.

Right now I'm listening to What the Hell Did I Just Read: A Novel of Cosmic Horror by David Wong. It's the third book in the series John Dies at the End, and it's standard fare so far. I'm expecting Lovecraftian kind of monsters, which is the thing with this series, as well as some juvenile humour, which I like as much as I like highbrow stuff. John is already crazy as fuck and fulfilling his role splendidly.

2. Cyphon

Cyphon Ran bridges next to Kaladin

I bought that edition as well and still haven't even opened it up because I have listened to the audiobooks before. Last I read he is aiming for around 9 of the Dunk and Egg installments and that would be awesome because I have enjoyed this little side trek in the ASoIaF universe. We need Winds of Winter first though.

3. Hand of Fear

Hand of Fear Journeyed there and back again

@Alucard it's my least favourite book in the series so far. Like you said it was too long, you will be glad to hear that the next book is a lot better and back on track !

4. ExTended

ExTended Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

You're welcome! :)

The series is top notch, even by today's standards. There are some offenders like too often usage of the maid-butler dialogues, abstract world-building and such, but over-all it's a very well-thought out series littered with subtle and over-arching plotting from the characters involved. :)

On another note - I've just finished The Builders by Daniel Polansky. It's a short-ish fantasy novel featuring animals as the heroes and villains. The cover is just gorgeous, and the story is nothing short of delicious.

[​IMG]

Almost all of the characters have that wonderful over-the-top characterization as in "Puss in Boots". The combination of grittiness, flashy dialogues, top-notch banter and chuckle-full one-liners is almost perfect.

It's Kings of the Wyld with crazy bat-shit bad-ass animals. A touch of Joe Abercrombie have also graced the tone of the story.

The plot is nothing fancy, though, the character arcs are non-existent, but the thing is - they are not really needed.

The book is, in its core, the answer to the question "How much fun could it be if you let loose two gun-wielding psychopathic bands of animals on one another" and the end result is plenty fun indeed.

There are, of course, better ways for one to spend a few bucks or an Audible credit, but if you have one of the latter to spare - the audio version is a delight. The narrator really knows how to deliver a punch-line and unlike in many other fantasy series - the ones here aren't obvious from miles off.

I am giving it 8/10 for entertaining value. I might've been persuaded to go as high as 9/10. In literary aspect, I wouldn't give it more than 7/10, but damn if the cool things about it don't make up the book's weaknesses.

Loved it. :)

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  5. Cyphon

Cyphon Ran bridges next to Kaladin

Got The Core in the mail faster than I thought. Starting it tonight. Excited to see how it ends.

6. ABatch

ABatch Ran bridges next to Kaladin

I am reading The Goblins of Bellwater, by another indie author in my neighborhood. It's kind of romantic fantasy, but the descriptions of life on Puget Sound are lush and lyrical.

7. Alucard

Alucard In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge! Staff Member

Good to hear!
    Is it really the end? No unexpected sequels looming behind the corner?
    If so I might revisit the series.

8. Silvion Night

Silvion Night Sir Readalot Staff Member

Thanks! I am about 100 pages in and man, have I missed Malazan. Reading about the world again feels like a chance meet up with a good friend of yore (without the awkward "should we hug, shake hands, fist bump or kiss?" part).

9. Kalavan

Kalavan Ran bridges next to Kaladin

Still going through Gwynne’s The Faithful and the Fallen, I’ve nearly finished Ruin and then I’ll pick up immediately the last installment, Wrath.
    There really isn’t much to say about this series, quite generic (the farm boy with a sword and a direwolf – sorry, actually a blacksmith’s son and a wolfen – cub, the prophecy, the Manichaean division between good and bad guys) and a bit shallow, but at the same time quite engaging and competently written, in an extremely accessible and quick paced commercial style.

I’m enjoying it quite a bit, but it probably won’t leave any lasting impression. Only for die-hard epic fantasy aficionados

10. Bill Door

Bill Door Listens to The Unbeliever whine about life

I finished The Dragonbone Chair. I'm now going to read Glen Cooks 'Old Tin Sorrows' while I wait for the Stone of Farewell arrive. First books quality just as I remember and I also remember the series only getting better as it went on so I'm really looking forward to SoF. I also think that TBC was better than any book in Shadowmarch which I read last year and was really disappointed in in comparison to Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn.

11. kenubrion

kenubrion Journeyed there and back again

I'm still reading Golem and the Jinni. Totally unlike anything I've ever read, definitely not my type of story, but it's irresistible. I'm reading it slowly without meaning to, so that's good. Today I took a break to see how Blackwing starts and when I looked up I had read 20%. Best start of a book since Steel Blood & Fire or Blood Song. I think it will be the next big thing.

12. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Journeyed there and back again

@Kalavan

Good call. 1/3 through and I like book 2 better. A twist or two early and I agree on the characterization although I think it's quite good, actually.

13. MorteTorment

MorteTorment Knows Who John Uskglass Is

Looking forward to it

On my own other note, finished Night Owls. considering that I can't tell you what it's about without covering what's already on the back of the book, so I feel like I kinda wasted my time, Most of the book was really hard to flllow for some reason. Ah well.

I didn't know what to read next and goodreads was down, so I decided to pick the final book in the Dark Elf Trilogy. Dear god is it a downgrade from the previous 2 books. I read the first 40% or so, and well, the book is nowhere near as fun when Drizz't doesn't actually get to have a conversation with anyone for such a large amount of time. And I know, there's this big arc where Drizz't gets trained and stuff, but that's the thing, I remember a lot of the book, and when I think abou it the characters aren't all that interesting, and as awesome and Drizz't is, he needs interesting characters to bounce off of. Same thing for jsut about any character in any book. Putting this book on hold until I'm really craving it.

Right now I'm reading a horror fantasy mystery novel, Graveyard Queen #5: Sinner. It was recommendation from someone on goodreads. I wanted something really scary. It's not really scary, but it's really atmospheric, and I like how the chapters are really small, 2 VERY big points in its favor.

14. Kalavan

Kalavan Ran bridges next to Kaladin

Glad you've decided to continue with this series, I really liked the first 2 installments, but it's with the third book, where the military and the political storylines are masterfully blended together, that I've definitely fallen for The Shadow Campaigns, hope it'll be the same for you

15. tackysmoked

tackysmoked A Muggle

are Dr. Seuss books considered fantasy books?

16. Darth Tater

Sure. If reading at a 2nd grade level is the best you can manage we won't hold it against you. Although I have a feeling you'll be jettisoned* before you get a chance to post much more...

*You'll want to look that word up in a dictionary.

17. Sneaky Burrito

Sneaky Burrito Crazy Cat Lady Staff Member

Yeah, his profile says he is 28 so unless he has a young son or daughter he is reading these books to, he is probably a spammer. (I would not click on any links he posts...) Keeping an eye on this one.

18. Darth Tater

Right. No reason to believe his proile is accurate or even that "he" is actually a "she". Definitely bad news. I just wonder...do people really have such miserable boring lives that they have both the time and inclination to do this stuff? Or perhaps it is someone with a grudge against the forum. I cannot imagine why but at least it makes sense in a twisted sort of way. Who cares? Brief entertainment but I'm already bored. I won't validate this person with any more attention as I realize it is what he/she/It (as in Pennywise the clown) wants. Funny, It pops up every 27 (?) years. These clowns show up every 27 days. Same material. Different authors.

19. MorteTorment

MorteTorment Knows Who John Uskglass Is

*busts up laughing* Dr. Seuss. Oh my god, hilariously obvious spammer is hilariously obvious. I thought the person spamming their Amnish romance novels was bad!

Feels like I just got my first birthday present! :D

20. Darth Tater

Yeah. SB knows that. But she won't ban him right away. Think of a cat (notice her avatar) playing with a mouse...;)

Happy Birthday (if it really is).