It's October 2017 - What fantasy books are you reading?

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by kenubrion, Oct 1, 2017.

1. kenubrion

kenubrion Journeyed there and back again

OK Silvion, thank you.

Forgot to mention I'm still reading Blackwing by Ed McDonald and Quillifer by Walter Jon Williams. They are both very good.

2. rudyjuly2

rudyjuly2 Ran bridges next to Kaladin

I'm glad I'm not crazy then and someone else noticed the maps don't line up with the directions written in the story. The editing is a bit of an issue in the first book as there are some minor spelling and punctuation mistakes. That hasn't bothered me though but the whole east-west thing was confusing me, especially when the map had a North arrow on it. They head east to Lissen Carak from Albinkirk despite this map below (and Harndon is supposed to be south which is correct):

[​IMG]

3. Sneaky Burrito

Sneaky Burrito Crazy Cat Lady Staff Member

I am reading The Tainted City by Courtney Schafer. I read the previous one years and years ago, and never got around to this. I am having an easier time getting back into this world than I have with some other series I've picked up lately. I'm a bit irked, but I think volume 3 is only available as an ebook (Courtney Schafer is one of the authors who got screwed over by Night Shade Books going under) and I don't like to have series mixed with print and ebooks, but I will deal.

Still on James Islington's latest as well (An Echo of Things to Come or something like that?). It is weird to read a book where you like the storylines of three POV characters and not the fourth (Caeden's attempt to recover his memories isn't doing much for me). But I am getting more into this. Probably because I read it like 90 minutes straight yesterday while waiting at the veterinary ophthalmologist's office.

4. Nuomer1

Nuomer1 Journeyed there and back again

Re Quillifer, and my earlier posts. Amazon haven't got the message yet - they are sending me advertising for this, but the Kindle price is still a silly joke.

5. Sneaky Burrito

If you so much as visited the page, they will keep hounding you with it until you clear your browsing history.

Right now they are recommending me live cockroaches because I viewed some water storing granules for house plants (apparently some people use these as a moisture source for feeder insects?).

6. rudyjuly2

7. Kalavan

Kalavan Ran bridges next to Kaladin

I've just checked, since I was quite sure that in The Red Knight there was a map, and yup, at least in the UK-kindle edition they've added it. Too bad it is kinda amateurish and quite different from the one you've posted(and that is published on the following books): Lissen Carak is a little bit more to the North, Dorling is to the East of Albinkirk, rather than to the North, and a few other differences.

EDIT: found it

[​IMG]

Anyway, finished also Ruin, the final installment of The Faithful and the Fallen. Not to belabour my point, but I've definitely enjoyed this series, a bit generic and unremarkable, but quite engaging nonetheless. And now, since I needed something quick to tide me over till the release of The Fall of Dragons, I've picked up the third installment of McClung's Amra Thetys series, The Thief Who Knocked on Sorrow's Gate

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  8. Nuomer1

Right. I think the advertising profile definition software (or whatever they call it) has been written by some kid on work experience for a couple of weeks. It has less connection with the real world than a Tory politician.

9. Bill Door

Bill Door Listens to The Unbeliever whine about life

I just started Stone of Farewell yesterday. I think now I'll power through the rest of the trilogy, read The Heart of what was Lost and jump into the first book of the new trilogy after I read Assassin's Fate.

10. Cyphon

Cyphon Journeyed there and back again

Just finished up The Core by Peter V. Brett. It was a good, solid conclusion to the series that felt satisfying. I posted a thread for in the 2017 Published section with more detail but I am at a 8/10 on it.

Not sure what I will jump into next. Still going through the audiobook of A Dance with Dragons and am considering starting The Powder Mage trilogy.

11. TomTB

TomTB The Master Tweeter Staff Member

Started

Just One Damned Thing After Another by Jodi Taylor

this morning. Fell back to sleep after 5 pages, so not sure what to think of it yet.

12. rudyjuly2

I have to say that there are a lot of unique words in the Red Knight that sometimes don't even show up on my Kindle's dictionary. Wergild as an example, showed up on the internet but not my offline Kindle. Some words used by Cameron in the book seem to have a different meaning than their intended purpose when I do find them on search. Words like "bassinet" are used to describe your gear/armour and difficult to find exactly what they are in real life. Not a big fan of that. Use something simpler please that doesn't involve me looking it up. Using a complex thesaurus to come up with different words just makes it more difficult on the reader.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
  13. Sneaky Burrito

Honestly I just interpret most of this from context without bothering to look it up. If someone is getting help taking a piece of armor off, it doesn't really matter to me whether it is on the leg or the arm or the shoulder (unless there is some injury involved). I have a feeling the words are obscure to modern readers but appropriate in the context of this book because Cameron really seems to be interested in the details of medieval weapons, armor, etc.

14. rudyjuly2

Cameron is supposed to be a real history buff and he is probably getting these terms from his studies but my anal nature makes me look up every word I don’t know even if you can infer what they mean. I can’t help myself lol.

15. Silvion Night

Silvion Night Sir Readalot Staff Member

I know most of the terms he uses (I majored in History). I really like these little details. Did you manage to find the definitions of those two words?

Wergild: money you pay (or are obliged to pay) when you have wronged someone. For example: I chop of the hand of your servant, I pay you a silver piece as wergild (was prevelant mostly in Germanic / Nordic societies)
    Bassinet: Helmet type which can be easily recognized by the pointy snout (popular in the late middle ages).

16. Nuomer1

Correct . . . but I suspect a language problem. In English, the word is usually spelled "weregild" - I think "were" is "man" and "gild" is "payment" - so this is a standard form of financial compensation, usually for personal injury to a 'citizen in good standing'. It might be paid to the lord for injury or death of a serf, or to a widow. The problem is that spelling without the second 'e' will confound most dictionaries.
    Not sure what the equivalent spellings look like across the rest of Europe.

17. kenubrion

kenubrion Journeyed there and back again

For those who like the chivalric minutia, I highly recommend Cameron's historical fiction series which starts with The Ill-Made Knight. No magic and his attention to detail includes actual events like The Hundred Years War and the Crusades, the only fictional thing being the protagonist Sir William Gold. The story follows his life from gutter rat to glory. There are three books now with the recent publication of the third, The Green Count.

https://www.amazon.com/Ill-Made-Kni...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=TKDXTF2W31JN9HG1J9MB

18. Kalavan

Kalavan Ran bridges next to Kaladin

Bloody cliffhangers!

After the lackluster and chaotic second installment, my enthusiasm for McClung’s Amra Thetys series kinda waned, and I wasn’t in a hurry to pick up the third book. But after finishing my previous read just a couple of days before the release of the book I was most eagerly looking forward this year – Cameron’s The Fall of Dragons – I’ve decided to have a go at the short and quick paced The Thief Who Knocked on Sorrow’s Gate, who turned out to be brilliant, easily on par with the first book, except for the finale, perhaps a bit rushed and unsatisfactory.

The final cliffhanger and the epilogue, introducing a new and captivating narrator, convinced me to continue with The Thief Who Wasn’t There

19. HeroineOfCanton

HeroineOfCanton Firsthanded the newest Caine adventure

So glad I dumped Queen of Fire audiobook for Morgan's Steel Remains. Ripped through that in under a week and now I'm listening to the next book, Cold Commands. I also just started reading Trudi Canavan Magicians Guild.

Completely unrelated to fantasy, reading Fates and Furies by Laura Groff for work, and enjoying it decidedly more than I usually do very stylized lit fic.

20. Hand of Fear

Hand of Fear Journeyed there and back again

@HeroineOfCanton Steel Remains and The Magicians Guild have been on my radar for awhile.

How popular are these books on here and opinions ??