It's October 2017 - What fantasy books are you reading?

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by kenubrion, Oct 1, 2017.

1. TomTB

TomTB The Master Tweeter Staff Member

Steel Remains was awful. I gave up at about the 50 page mark I think. Then again, I didn't like Altered Carbon either. I find Morgan an extremely dry, boring author.

2. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Journeyed there and back again

Began book 3 of 5 in The Shadow Campaigns. Should be done with it around the time book 5 of The Traitor Son Cycle is released!

3. kenubrion

kenubrion Journeyed there and back again

You quit before the fun started. You missed your chance to find out all about gay sex.

4. Hand of Fear

Hand of Fear Journeyed there and back again

I didn't like Altered Carbon either, probably the reason I haven't gone ahead and actually bought The Steel Remains.

Have you bought Dancer's Lament yet ? Don't think many Forum members have read it on here. Definitely one of my favourite books I've read this year !

5. TomTB

TomTB The Master Tweeter Staff Member

No .. is that ffirst in a trilogy? Will definitely read soon if the final book is about ready.

6. Khartun

Khartun Journeyed there and back again

Yes, book two, Deadhouse Landing, comes out Nov 14th.

7. ReguIa

ReguIa Journeyed there and back again

@Hand of Fear I read the Black Magician trilogy a couple years back. At the time I very much enjoyed it, read all 3 books in the first trilogy in maybe 2 weeks. Compared to everything I've read since then though, I'd say it's mediocre at best. It's not bad, but there's nothing special about it.

Everything from characters to worldbuilding, magic system and politics.. I don't know how to say it, it's just meh... None of it stands out.

There is a 2nd trilogy out, which I read the first book of, but after that I never continued. There was too much else that I got more interested in.

8. Sneaky Burrito

Sneaky Burrito Crazy Cat Lady Staff Member

This is my feeling about the Black Magician trilogy, too. There is an inappropriate romantic relationship that kind of comes out of nowhere, too.

9. Ryan W. Mueller

Ryan W. Mueller Ran bridges next to Kaladin

So I started reading City of Blades by Robert Jackson Bennett. There's nothing definitively wrong with it, but I didn't find myself as interested in reading it as I was in the first book. Maybe I'll sit it aside and try again some other time.

10. stenney

stenney Will likely be killed by a Lannister soon

i'm more the half through The Core, and this has been one of my favorite and most recommended series since i started it years ago. i would say that this is the end of The Demon Cycle, but i can see more 'cycles' or stories continuing in the universe, because with the amount of world building and characters, he could continue with the same universe, just go to what happens if the demons are gone, and magic starts to fade for everyone, or some other issue in the same world. possibly the same way Feist kept with the same world and characters, or descendants of, just with different 'sagas'.

11. Silvion Night

Silvion Night Sir Readalot Staff Member

Some days ago I started on Return of the Crimson Guard (that was shipped to me all the way from Houston, Texas for some reason).

I am thoroughly enjoying this book. This second book in Esslemont's Malazan series is much more like the Malazan books written by Erikson. As opposed to Night of Knives, the world and story in RotCG are again sprawling and interesting. I realized this some chapters ago when I constantly found myself toggling back and forth between the story and the dramatis personae and/or the world map. I dubbed this sequence of activities 'The Malazan Shuffle'. I'm not at a point where this happens less and less often (I have the feeling we have been introduced to almost all the PoVs now) and the story is quickly picking up. I saw @Jakyro referred to it on GoodReads as 'a constantly running battle' and I definitely see what he means. Having a blast with this!

12. Sneaky Burrito

Sneaky Burrito Crazy Cat Lady Staff Member

I actually liked that one better than the first one. It may have been my favorite of the whole trilogy. This isn't one of those series I'm super excited about, though.

13. Hand of Fear

Hand of Fear Journeyed there and back again

I know it's the first book, but not sure if it's part of a trilogy !

@ReguIa and @Sneaky Burrito think I will also skip that series too then, thanks for the replies/information.

@Silvion Night RotCG was one of my favourites and one of not many I give 5 out of 5. Enjoyed it right from the opening scenes, I think it was when they were looking for a mage in a castle or fort ??

14. Silvion Night

Silvion Night Sir Readalot Staff Member

Not sure. If so, I don't think I have reached that part yet. Having a blast reading though. Malazan is back with a vengeance; backstabbing, murdering Claws, insurrection, Seti plainsmen, Warrens. Yay!

15. Jakyro

Jakyro Journeyed there and back again

I think @Hand of Fear is refering to Stonewielder
    RotCG is the one with the rebellion on Quon Tali and the invasion of the Crimson Guard. It plays out mostly around Li Heng
    This is my favourite Esslemont book so far. The next two are also good (Stonewielder and Orb Sceptre Throne), and are on some points maybe a bit better, but RotCG was so much fun that I still prefer it over those

Currently reading The Crippled God (60% in). Afterwards I'll continue with the final two Esslemont books in ME. After that I'll have a break from Malazan. I'll read the new trilogies once they are finished, and I still have the short novels to read as well

16. kenubrion

kenubrion Journeyed there and back again

I believe I will read Stonewielder now that I've been reminded about this series. Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
  17. fl1pper

fl1pper Got in a fistfight with Dresden

Just finished listening to Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman which was great (9/10) and has me hoping he writes a sequel one day. Continuing the comedy theme, I've started listening to The Colour of Magic - Terry Pratchett, which I suspect will be the start of a long run of Pratchett novels.

18. Peat

Peat Journeyed there and back again

I went out looking for news for a sequel the moment I finished the graphic novel adaption of Neverwhere - apparently he's working on one based around Seven Sisters.

19. fl1pper

fl1pper Got in a fistfight with Dresden

Great news, I'll keep an eye out for that.

20. Anti_Quated

Anti_Quated Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

Completed The Drawing of the Three and moved on to The Wastelands. I'm enjoying it, with a few minor grumbles along the way that are more to do with my personality. Mr King's success I finally understand, leastways based on how cleverly composed Drawing and Wastelands have been thus far. I do note one quirk, neither positive or negative - the books are incredibly American.