It's October 2017 - What fantasy books are you reading?

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by kenubrion, Oct 1, 2017.

1. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Journeyed there and back again

Completed The Price Of Valor. Book 3 of 5 in the Shadow Campaigns. The first book was militaristic and the second political. This one was a nice mixture.

I hadn't realized (duh) that this was a historical allegory. It is the French Revolution in an alternate universe. But throw in some magic. I'm enjoying this series. It isn't one of my favorites but it would make my top 25 so I will definitely continue. I gave it a 5/5. But a 4/5 would fit here too, IMO. I may take a slightly longer than usual break from the series.

Hmmm...what to read next? Wait, I think a new book is coming out tomorrow. Yes. Now that I think of it the book is the finale of a series that DOES make my top ten. I remember now. It is book 5 (the finale) of the Traitor Son Cycle! Not sure why people refer to it as "The Red Night" which was only the first book of the series. We don't call The Wheel Of Time "The Eye Of The World". Same with most series. It's not a big deal, naturally, but I'm just a bit curious...not that anyone knows the reason. Just one of those things I suppose. :)

2. rudyjuly2

rudyjuly2 Ran bridges next to Kaladin

The Wheel of Time is easy to remember because he starts every book with quoting the Wheel of Time.
    “The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. In one Age, called the Third Age by some, an Age yet to come, and Age long past, a wind rose in the Mountains of Mist. The wind was not the beginning, there are neither Beginnings nor endings to the turning of The Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.”

As for the Red Knight - it's about the Red Knight lol! I think many series tend to also be referred to by the title of the first book (although that could be just my brain). I think of Name of the Wind and not The Kingkiller Chronicles. I think Blood Song and not Raven's Shadow series. I think Way of Kings for Sanderson's new series and not Stormlight Chronicles. Although I do think Codex Alera for series and not the first book. And certainly Lord of the Rings is thought of by series name. I think it really depends on how attached you are to the first book and how good or bad a name the overall series gets named vs. the name of the first book.

3. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Journeyed there and back again

I guess it's just how individuals think.I think of the Rothfuss series as KKC,WOK as Stormlight. Maybe WOK is easier to type. Although SA would be even easier. Just was interesting to me because it seems like most series here go by the actual series name. I could be mistaken. No matter. We could use either name and everyone knows what we mean. Red Knight is easier to type than The Traitor Son Cycle. Although maybe one day we will refer to it as TTSC. I hope so. Less chance of my making another typo. ;)

4. Sneaky Burrito

Sneaky Burrito Crazy Cat Lady Staff Member

The Guns of Dawn by Adrian Tchaikovsky. Like it but this morphine drip I am on makes it hard to concentrate.

5. Silvion Night

Silvion Night Sir Readalot Staff Member

I really liked that one too. Pride and Prejudice with guns. :p Hope you're not too doped up Sneaky. Wishing you a swift recuperation.

6. Hand of Fear

Hand of Fear Journeyed there and back again

Started reading the Tower Lord, didn't realise how long ago I read Blood Song (which was in January I think).

Not really sure what to make of it so far, seems to have started in a completely random place ? I tried looking at a recap of the first book but it hasn't really helped.

Did anyone else feel the same when they read the 2nd book ?

7. rudyjuly2

It’s a hard series to read if you have a long break between books because of all the minor characters sometimes. However, Tower Lord will be different largely because it has 4 point of views and not just Valyn. For people that can accept this big change I think you will find the book to be very good. Others got too annoyed by it. I personally liked Reva a lot and the book starts out with her I believe.

8. kenubrion

kenubrion Journeyed there and back again

Hi Hand. I go to the Wikipedia article about a book I've read in the past and it comes back. Might try it for just Blood Song but not Raven's Shadow as there are separate articles for each book and the series, or you may get spoilers. Vaelin is now a big shot and the hero of the land and his personality has become reserved.

9. ReguIa

ReguIa Journeyed there and back again

There was a lot of talk about Kevin Hearne's new fantasy book ''A Plague of Giants'' a while back. I haven't seen anyone saying they're reading it. Have I missed something? Because it's already out since like a month ago..

10. Alucard

Alucard In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge! Staff Member

Are you ok Sneaky?

It came out on October 17, so not really a month, more like two weeks.
    I got it, but I haven't had time yet to start it. Wanna finish what I'm reading right now.

11. Sneaky Burrito

Sneaky Burrito Crazy Cat Lady Staff Member

I had a planned surgery. It went well but I feel like carp and have been in the hospital for two days. Off the morphine and on to ibuprofen and Percocet.

Sorry for typos, I am posting this from a Kindle Fire tablet.

12. rudyjuly2

Hope you feel better!

13. kenubrion

kenubrion Journeyed there and back again

Here's hoping you recover soon Sneaky.

14. Alucard

Alucard In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge! Staff Member

I hope you'll be better very soon.

I figured. Carps might be feeling dandy all the time who knows ;)

15. Khartun

Khartun Journeyed there and back again

Hope you feel better soon @Sneaky Burrito!

16. Jakyro

Jakyro Journeyed there and back again