It's October 2017: What SF books are you reading?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by TomTB, Oct 3, 2017.

1. TomTB

TomTB The Master Tweeter Staff Member

I'm currently listening to the audiobook of Will Save the Galaxy for Food by Yahtzee Croshaw, and it is absolutely positively fantastically amazing, I love it! Halfway in, or there thereabouts.

2. fl1pper

fl1pper Helped Logen count his fingers

I am just about to finish the audiobook of Excession by Iain M. Banks and I have to say that after a fantastic start it has been a real struggle to finish it. I've thought about it a lot and I've come to the conclusion that I can only handle more trivial audiobooks. I only listen to them when I walk the dogs on my own, so it is 40 minutes or so every few days. When there are multiple PoVs, it just gets hard to follow and you have no way of referring back in the book to help figure stuff out. This book also wasn't helped by the verbatim reading of the inter ship messages which really got on my nerves after a while. It's then almost redeemed by one of the characters complaining about how tedious large chunks of the messages are which I thought was clever at first but then subsequent messages still included all the boring crap. A real shame all in all because I love Iain Banks' books normally and the narrator is great. I will put it back on my wish list and read the kindle version next time.

3. TomTB

Ditto. I've listened to 4 Culture books now and with the exception of Consider Phlebas, i have really struggled with them, because I feel I'd have much preferred reading them rather than listening to them.

4. kenubrion

kenubrion Journeyed there and back again

Tom, I hope that you someday will get around to reading Matter. It's got a medieval feudal society plum full o' knights in armor, chivalry, kings, and a queen or two that becomes involved with the Culture. Great juxtapositioning . My favorite Culture and it was Banks' also.

5. TomTB

Cheers K. I do want to go back to Culture at some point, just not via Audible.

6. TomTB

Rereading The Road by Cormac McCarthy at the moment. Nearly finished, just over an hour to go in the audiobook. Can't remember when I read this one last but this time round it's really resonating with me.

Sure most of you guys have read it (or seen the film), but for those who haven't, it's centred on two characters, a father and son, struggling to survive in a ravaged America following an event which has almost destroyed humanity. They are trying to head south on a road (The Road) to a warmer climate to aid their chances of survival.

There is such a strong bond between father and son, and some of the situations the father has to face are heart wrenching. I've been left slack jawed at times and disturbed more so than i can remember being disturbed by a book.

It's a sparse book. The conversation between father and son is often limited to a handful of words, but this helps intensify the depravity of the setting. The narration is perfect, which adds to the experience in a way that doesn't often happen with audiobooks (at least in my opinion).

Think I'm going to go and sit in a dark room and listen to the last hour..

7. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Journeyed there and back again

@TomTB

Does a book marketed mostly as a thriller but based heavily on a science fiction element belong in this thread or the Fiction thread? Like, a microchip brain implant on our real Earth that enables a guy to read others thoughts. But people are trying to eliminate him because of this.

8. TomTB

Uuuuuurrmmmm ... I'm going with ...... this thread.

9. Silvion Night

Silvion Night Sir Readalot Staff Member

I love that book Tom. It's so depressing though. Last time I finished it I locked myself into my man cave with a stack of Donald Duck comics to boost my mood back up.

10. Khartun

Khartun Journeyed there and back again

I just read Forging Zero by Sara King. I really enjoyed the story. I liked the universe she's built and liked the characters. Thanks @kenubrion for the rec. I then went and read The Moldy Dead, a short story that gives background for a character in Zero Recall, book two in the series, which I'm reading now.

11. Sneaky Burrito

Sneaky Burrito Crazy Cat Lady Staff Member

I got these when they were on Kindle Special. Glad to hear multiple people seem to like them. I may move them up a bit in my enormous queue of books.

12. kenubrion

kenubrion Journeyed there and back again

Yay! Someone finally tried Zero! And I should have known it would be you Khartun, since you're the smartest and nicest person here! Best looking too. I thought Moldy Dead was just a cool, original idea but it factors in big time later in the series.

13. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Journeyed there and back again

Mind's Eye. My third Douglas E. Richards book. Well written fast paced sci fi thriller about accessing the internet inside your head with a brain chip and with some ESP for good measure. He does a good job touching on the social implications of this. Richards is a humble guy who quit his job as a Bio-tech exec to write books which all became NY Times Bestsellers. Afterwards he talks about catching lightning in a bottle while so many great writers out there are unknown due to never catching that lucky break.

14. Alucard

Alucard In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge! Staff Member

Listening to Paradox Bound by Peter Clines.
    I'm debating if I should just DNF it. I'm around 30% in and I just don't care about the story or the characters. It's a time travel story about US history, and while the premise is amazing it's poorly executed.
    Shame really, because I enjoyed the heck out of his two last books The Fold and 14.

15. Khartun

Khartun Journeyed there and back again

That's is a shame. I really like The Fold as well.