It's October 2018: What fantasy book are you reading?

GreyMouser

Journeyed there and back again
Finished Bloody Rose a while back and started Ravencry.

Bloody Rose was amazing.

Maark Abbott

Chugging forward with In The Ruins. Work being hell has stalled my progress somewhat, but it's easing off so I have a bit more energy for reading. Not sure what I'm going for after this - got Locke Lamora book 2, Mistrwraith 1, a GGK (Arbonne) that I've had a year and not gotten around to... Any ideas?

kenubrion

Chugging forward with In The Ruins. Work being hell has stalled my progress somewhat, but it's easing off so I have a bit more energy for reading. Not sure what I'm going for after this - got Locke Lamora book 2, Mistrwraith 1, a GGK (Arbonne) that I've had a year and not gotten around to... Any ideas?
We need someone to spend the big bucks and try Glen Cook's new Black Company book, Port of Shadows. Or Ed McDonald's Ravencry, the sequel to Blackwing. Or Robert McCammon's magnum opus Swan Song which is on sale today, $1.99 for 929 pages of post-apocalypse fun.

Bill Door

Told lies with Locke
We need someone to spend the big bucks and try Glen Cook's new Black Company book, Port of Shadows. Or Ed McDonald's Ravencry, the sequel to Blackwing. Or Robert McCammon's magnum opus Swan Song which is on sale today, $1.99 for 929 pages of post-apocalypse fun.
I finished Port of Shadows last night. I'm not sure how I feel about it. It was a very odd and ambiguous novel in comparison to the rest of the Black Company stories. It was fun getting back with the old gang, but it lacks focus for much of the novel and it kind of comes off as if the entire story was a dream and didn't really happen. I'd say it's worth a read if you are a big fan, but I probably wouldn't recommend it if you are just a casual fan of the series.

Anyway, I've now started Cook's, A Fortress in Shadow.

Last edited:

kenubrion

I finished Port of Shadows last night. I'm not sure how I feel about it. It was a very odd and ambiguous novel in comparison to the rest of the Black Company stories. It was fun getting back with the old gang, but it lacks focus for much of the novel and it kind of comes off as if the entire story was a dream and didn't really happen. I'd say it's worth a read if you are a big fan, but I probably wouldn't recommend it if you are just casual fan of the series.

Anyway, I've now started Cook's, A Fortress in Shadow.
Thanks for the review Bill. I'm a big fan of Dread Empire and a medium fan of Black Company. May pass on it.

Last edited:

Maark Abbott

Haven't read Blackwing and as before I'm put off by how tiny the book is. I'm also not big on Black Company. Never finished the first trilogy.

Matticus Primal

DNF'd Traitor Baru Cormorant last night at 30%. I've been wanting more out-there, non-European analogue fantasy, and I guess this one was a warning at to beware what I wish for. It had a literary fantasy feel in terms of prose, and no actual magic that I ran across. In fact, the whole thing up until I quit looked more at the economics than any traditional fantasy tropes.

In all, it felt like a Neil Stephenson-style book in terms of pointless minutia, but in fantasy form. So take that as either a warning or endorsement as you see fit.

Started The Poppy War today and am already enjoying it 100% more.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I'm now almost finished with The Crippled God (Malazan, book 10). The final 400 pages or so are one big covergence/battle featuring almost all races and characters from the series. Toblakai, T'Lan Imass, Jaghut, Forkrul Assail, Humans, Tiste etc etc It's a slug fest and I love it.

Noor Al-Shanti

Is a wondrous friend of modest Kruppe
I just attempted to start Fall of Gondolin... probably going to DNF very soon... anyone read it?

I liked Children of Hurin, even though I really wished Christopher Tolkien would have just picked one of the versions and stuck with it, but this one is reading more like Silmarillion and those lengthy and pointless History of Middle Earth books.

kenubrion

I finished Red Sister and now I'm trying to decide between Bloody Rose, Morning Star, Redemption's Blade which is never discussed here, and The Liar's Key.

Kevin O Donoghue

Philosophizes with Kellhus
Following on from Tales of the Ketty Jay I decided to buy The Ember Blade. I was not disappointed. I found that it was very enjoyable and found it very hard to put it down for the past week. I highly recommend it if you like your Epic Fantasy.

ExTended

I am almost 3/4 through Bloody Rose I have no idea if it'd be a 1/10 or 9/10 book yet. Kings of the Wyld was buckets of fun and trope trolling aimed to get some chuckles from the long-time fantasy readers. I honestly don't know who Bloody Rose is aimed at - most likely the far left in the fantasy crowd from which I am not part of. And even if I was - I like my fantasy books completely politics-free.

The main romance of the book, which is LGBTQ for what it's worth, is more toothless and pathetic than what Brandon Sanderson usually ends up having in his books. The fantasy tropes in the book are done very well, but there's just so much inept preaching and incompetent renditions of straight and non-straight relationships, it's not even funny. What a mess...

In my opinion the author should definitely keep to making fun of non-platonic relationships instead of trying to portray realistic ones in his books.

I am really glad that I am re-reading Harry Potter on the side. Bloody Rose has a much better chance of being finished that way.

Between Bloody Rose, Iron Gold and Age of War( the books I was most excited about this year) only Age of War didn't flop so far. I hope that Miles Cameron, Ed McDonald and Brandon Sanderson would deliver enough to save the year from being a total let down.

So far by far the best 2017 published books I've read were Wrath of Empire by Brian McClellan at 7.7/10, then Grey Sister by Mark Lawrence at 8.9/10 and Senlin Ascends by Josiah Bancroft at 9.2/10

Last edited:

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
I'm reading Bloody Rose as well right now. It started out great and I thought it will be just as good as the first book, but I'm getting increasingly bored by it as it goes. I'm almost done with it and I can say it lacks the sense of fantasy adventure the Kings of the Wyld had, as well as humor which made the first book so great for me.
Another thing is that I don't care half as much about the characters of the band Fable, as I did with Saga. I like the shaman and Roderick. Bloody Rose's personality consist of 'I wanna be more famous than my dad, and I don't care what I need to do to achieve that'. Freecloud is kind of like a distant, reserved elf, there's not much personality to him to begin with, and Cura the inkwitch is like an angsty, emo teen.
As for our main character Tam, she just pales in comparison to Clay Cooper, the main character of the first book. She's has a rather plain personality to begin with, and not enough life experience to make her remotely interesting.

Anyhow I thought this would be 5 star book when I started, but I think it will end up somewhere around 3.

ExTended

I think that the lack of clear goal/conflict and relate-able reasoning behind the new band's direction for the end of the book plays a big part here. That's usually the problem of many second books - the first one starts strong, awesome premise, clear end goal and conflict to solve( Mistborn 1) and once they solve it, the second book becomes about "Whatever comes our way", and that's just too reactive instead of proactive, and gives the reader less incentive/opportunity to care and try to guess the end game - especially when you don't have a well-defined end-game to aim at to begin with. Every other second book I get my hands on seems to have this "Let's wait it out and roam about" feel to it that lingers for at least a book or two, until the author gives the character some new worthy end game to aim themselves at.

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
I think that the lack of clear goal/conflict and relate-able reasoning behind the new band's direction for the end of the book plays a big part here.
Yeah that's a good way to put it, but also the major thing for me is the lack of connection I have with these new characters.
They are just not as interesting in comparison to Saga members.

ExTended

I agree.

For me the biggest issue is that the dynamics within and outside of the group are so different from the first book. There we've had people who were tired of each other, did respect each other all that much, but loved and would've died a 1 000 times for each other a thousand times over( very similar to siblings/close family relations, the small but important things) and each of them was pushed into their path by misfortune, their own private lives getting dragged through the mud or because of their deep love and friendship for each other, i.e. not letting a comrade in peril even if it's dangerous. They just didn't want to be there, on a quest, doing what they were doing, going where they were going, and they both loved and hated the thought of spending time in each-other's company. There was lots of baggage between the different members of the group, the leadership wasn't defined since no one was good enough to sholulder all of the responsibility, there was this feeling that their complemented each-other's imcopmpetence as much as each other's competence.

While with the new group we get 3 guys, from which 2 of them have zero grief towards the women, the 3rd guy is the funny uncle, and the women are the Mary Sue whom everyone believes in, the sulking romance side-kick with dark past, and the new girl who enters seam-lessly into the already friendly group. Zero tension, zero authority problems, zero conflict inside or outsider of the group. It's basically 6 people who are doing what they'd want to do anyway, going places, drinking and boning, zero hurry, zero f*cks gives than their world is attacked by the biggest enemy army that threatens to anniliate all of the people they ever loved or knew. They're just doing their thing - adventuring.

The more I think about it - the more bizzare the whole thing feels. :)