It's October 2018: What fantasy book are you reading?

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
Yeah I don't know what happened. The first book is so good as you said because relationships in the group are pretty much a realistic interpretation of lifelong relationships between half a dozen guys, with all the baggage and comradery that goes with it. On the other Bloody Rose feels more like it was written for YA audience. There's not much going on inside the group.

Bierschneeman

Journeyed there and back again
I just attempted to start Fall of Gondolin... probably going to DNF very soon... anyone read it?

I liked Children of Hurin, even though I really wished Christopher Tolkien would have just picked one of the versions and stuck with it, but this one is reading more like Silmarillion and those lengthy and pointless History of Middle Earth books.
I think i read that....not sure. I agree. with thecexception of Silmarillon and Children of Huron, I think most of the Chris Tolkien s books are him riding his Dads corpse for a paycheck, rather than letting someone better qualified write His fathers unfinished work (which would honor him a whole lot better).

I read just about everything he "wrote" and i regret giving him money.

This is a great example of copyright law gone wrong.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I recently finished The Crippled God (Malazan 10). The ending was every bit as good as I remembered it to be, even though some story threads remain without a proper wrap-up. Then again, this is maybe one of the things that make Malazan so great; some characters just disappear into obscurity. I guess the same principle applies to the real world. Not everyone is and can remain a hero.

My newest reading challenge is to finish My Struggle by Adolf Hitler. This year it is the first time that this book is published in the Netherlands after the conclusion of WW2. Here, as well as in Germany, it used to be prohibited to publish it (if not to buy, own or read it). During my studies I read a lot of snippets from English translations, but this will be the first time I read the full book. The book comes with a hefty introduction and each chapter again starts with an introduction to put the content into context. It makes for a very interesting reading experience.

kenubrion

I dropped Bloody Rose and started Grey Sister and noticed yesterday a new book and author in the recommendations from Grey Sister and the other grimdarks. It's Kings of Paradise by Richard Nell. I flew through the sample and then bought it (only $3.92 US) and I've been reading it since, it's so good. Anyway a heads-up.

Last edited:

Matticus Primal

I dropped Bloody Rose and started Grey Sister and noticed yesterday a new book and author in the recommendations from Grey Sister and the other grimdarks. It's Kings of Paradise by Richard Nell. I flew through the sample and then bought it (only $3.92 US) and I've been reading it since, it's so good. Anyway a heads-up.
I've heard only great things about Kings of Paradise but never picked it up since I didn't enjoy his free prequel novella. Still, it's considered one of the front runners in this year's SPFBO. Like We Ride the Storm, I hear if you can make it through the gruesomeness of the first chapter then you are going to love it.

I'm putting the excellent Poppy War aside for a while since I just received an ARC of Rob Hayes' latest. Can't say too much about it, but believe me, you'll be hearing about this one in the news really soon...

Bierschneeman

I am supposed to be reading the argument of kings right, now. but i cant open it.... maybe because i know whwe'ren i finish it the world is closed....

sigh and i think i might have to read something else now.

it is october, and i have promising to read Anne Rice now, since last year.

Derk of Derkholm

Re-Reading the "Night Watch" series by Sergeij Lukyanenko, as I finally bought the fifth book in the series, "New Watch" and am getting ready to read it. Am happy to realize there is also a translation of the last book in the series, "Sixth Watch", out there, which was not so clear from Goodreads. Will order that as well.

Belg

Philosophizes with Kellhus
so i ended up preordering Skyward by Brandon Sanderson

maybe ill reread something while i wait for it to be released

ExTended

Finished Bloody Rose.

I am giving it 5/10. Meaningless stakes, aimless plot, and too much politics, WOKEness and YA tropes for my taste. The bromances, girlmances and love relationships are shallower than a puddle in the desert. The family elements in this book are abysmally bad/unrealistic/sad... Someone should put that poor book out of its misery tbh.

The narration of the audiobook is 10/10 though. It probably was the main reason for me to not DNF the book 2/3 through, when it became obvious how direcitonless it really is. I cannot remember a sequel book that way off from the quality of its predecessor since Mistborn 2.

I am trying to decide between Cold Iron by Miles Cameron and Ravencry by Ed McDonald. I'd probably go with Miles though, I don't trust Ed not to drop the ball Nicholas Eames style and I need something exciting to get into now. I was really rooting for Eames to become the next big thing in fantasy, but he burned his lottery ticket by not including a single trope or element that made his first book the awesome story it is. At least Anthony Ryan and Brian Staveley would have a third for 3-5-8 in their "Epic sequel flops in fantasy" club.

Last edited:

rudyjuly2

Reading has been slow for me. In the second book of Divine Cities but so far I think I like it better than the first book. This book is centered on the old war general Turyin Mugalesh and I like her fiery attitude more than the librarian style woman in book 1. It's a mystery that is interesting and I need to get back into reading. Just a lot of other stuff going on right now.

GreyMouser

Bloody Rose was one of the best books I've read this year. As far as the characters and relationships, I guess they were realistic to me because as KotW reminded me of some of my current friendships, BR reminded me of reationships from my teenage years.

Bill Door

Told lies with Locke
I Finished a A Fortress in Shadow and a read Garrett PI novel and now I'm going to start Cook's, Wrath of Kings. I really enjoyed AFiS. You could really see how much he had grown as a writer since the original main series. I was going to read Gaiman's Neverwhere next instead, but I have the regular version and I've decided I'd rather read the author's preferred text version, so I'll just get to that later.

Derk of Derkholm

Reading "New Watch" by Lukyanenko now.

Very nice, he has not lost his magic, and it is fun to see how the series has caught up with reality (including Harry Potter references).

kenubrion

I am liking the former quite much so far. I am around 1/3 through the story. :)
Me too, Extended. Started Cold Iron yesterday when I dropped Grey Sister at 90%, the story just dropped off a cliff for my overly critical self. I'm at 27% in Cold Iron and it's great. I'll go back to Grey Sister. For Cameron fans I cannot recommend more highly his historical fiction Chivalry series starting with Ill-Made Knight. Cold Iron reminded me of it. Chivalry is written under his Christian Cameron name and doesn't have magic but you don't miss it, seems to have some anyway.

Thanks for the rec on New Watch, Derk.

Belg

Philosophizes with Kellhus
over the weekend i started Black Prism by Brent Weeks.

i am kinda surprised i haven't stumbled on these sooner. they seem to have good reviews. I am not very far into the first book yet, Does this series hold up ?

kenubrion

over the weekend i started Black Prism by Brent Weeks.

i am kinda surprised i haven't stumbled on these sooner. they seem to have good reviews. I am not very far into the first book yet, Does this series hold up ?
It's a great series Bleg, big favorite around here. The first two books in particular. Have you read Weeks' Night Angel trilogy? It's an amazing debut.