It's October 2019: What fantasy book are you reading?

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Halfway through October already, but forgot to make the new thread....

In any case, I'm reading Children of Ruin, a sci-fi book by Adrian Tchaikovsky. I'm also reading the Meditations by Marcus Aurelius on the side.

So currently no Fantasy for me, although I did just buy the full Aspect Emperor series by Bakker, which will be my next reading challenge (read the first trilogy some years ago and now I want to dive back in).

How about you?

rudyjuly2

Journeyed there and back again
I'm not even sure how far I am into Mistbook #2. Too bad this trilogy didn't support real page numbers on Kindle. I like it so far. A bit slow but the Watcher and his identity have me intrigued.

kenubrion

I am reading Ravencry.

ReguIa

A little past the halfway mark in The Shining. It's solid but honestly I am slightly disappointed so far. I did add Salem's Lot to the list too, on recommendation by @Hand of Fear.

I'm checking in at my local bookstore every day too in case The Burning White comes in early. At the beginning of the year I got Tiamat's Wrath a week earlier so I'm really, really hoping. The release date is the same day I start school again after a one and a half week break so that sucks.

rudyjuly2

Question regarding Mistborn. I'm almost halfway through the second book I think.

I thought it was very clear that Elend's father Venture Straff sent the woman Mistborn to kill Elend in the first book and Vin saved him (while Eland didn't know she was Mistborn). And yet in the second book Elend keeps thinking he's safe with his dad because he doesn't really think he would kill him. I don't get it. That makes no sense. Am I missing something?

ReguIa

Question regarding Mistborn. I'm almost halfway through the second book I think.

I thought it was very clear that Elend's father Venture Straff sent the woman Mistborn to kill Elend in the first book and Vin saved him (while Eland didn't know she was Mistborn). And yet in the second book Elend keeps thinking he's safe with his dad because he doesn't really think he would kill him. I don't get it. That makes no sense. Am I missing something?
I read it 5 years ago, unfortunately I can't remember. But it doesn't sound right about him wanting to kill Elend in The Final Empire.

kenubrion

Finished Ravencry last night. Close call as I came to a wtf? part of the story at 52% the day before. Tried again yesterday and it was one of the best most exciting series of events I have ever read. I was thinking Ed McDonald was a one-trick pony as I wasn't really blown away with book one but it was solid. I quit thinking 1-1/2 books were all I would read from him. Soooo glad I tried one more time. So while book one is a good book, book 2 became a great book. I immediately bought book 3, Crowfall (so thankful it's already out and waiting for me to catch up), and it starts with an incredible open that puts his unique storytelling on display. He's not just a great writer of prose but his ideas are just amazing, unique and will blow you away. And his books are only $9.99. OK, gotta go, time to do some power-reading.

Alucard, you were spot on, thanks for getting me to try book 2.

Hand of Fear

A little past the halfway mark in The Shining. It's solid but honestly I am slightly disappointed so far. I did add Salem's Lot to the list too, on recommendation by @Hand of Fear.
I was disappointed with The Shining too, there where some really good parts in it but overall I felt it was pretty mediocre. Salem’s Lot is much better and is definitely in my top 5 SK books.

ReguIa

Finished Ravencry last night. Close call as I came to a wtf? part of the story at 52% the day before. Tried again yesterday and it was one of the best most exciting series of events I have ever read. I was thinking Ed McDonald was a one-trick pony as I wasn't really blown away with book one but it was solid. I quit thinking 1-1/2 books were all I would read from him. Soooo glad I tried one more time. So while book one is a good book, book 2 became a great book. I immediately bought book 3, Crowfall (so thankful it's already out and waiting for me to catch up), and it starts with an incredible open that puts his unique storytelling on display. He's not just a great writer of prose but his ideas are just amazing, unique and will blow you away. And his books are only $9.99. OK, gotta go, time to do some power-reading.

And now you just sold me on it too.

rudyjuly2

Finished book 2 of Mistborn and I really liked it. A solid 4/5. Maybe deserves a little more. The first half did have some overly slow and overly political scenes. However it never got to the point where it bored me and caused me to put the book down. Read it in two weeks so that lets me know I liked it.

I enjoyed the prophetic puzzle and Saze. I can never figure these things out so some of the clues left for us after the reveal at the end were interesting. I really enjoyed the Watcher and the interactions with Vin as well as the final battle. Looking forward to the final book. I guess books 4-7 are sequels 300 years after but I will be reading Book 5 of Lightbringer first. Out October 22nd I think! That series has been one of my favourites of all time.

ReguIa

Finished book 2 of Mistborn and I really liked it. A solid 4/5. Maybe deserves a little more. The first half did have some overly slow and overly political scenes. However it never got to the point where it bored me and caused me to put the book down. Read it in two weeks so that lets me know I liked it.

I enjoyed the prophetic puzzle and Saze. I can never figure these things out so some of the clues left for us after the reveal at the end were interesting. I really enjoyed the Watcher and the interactions with Vin as well as the final battle. Looking forward to the final book. I guess books 4-7 are sequels 300 years after but I will be reading Book 5 of Lightbringer first. Out October 22nd I think! That series has been one of my favourites of all time.
Hm Hero of Ages or The Burning White.. That's not a choice I'd want to make!

In Sweden we have 1 great english fantasy bookstore chain, and even then only 3 stores in the country. 2 of them already have Burning White in stores. Unfortunately not the one I go to.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Today I started re-reading the Prince of Nothing series by Scott Bakker. I read it some years ago, right up until book 2 in the Aspect Emperor series. I've now bought the final 2 books in that series and I'm planning on reading all the books in consecutive order now.

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member

I'm glad you really like it.
I agree with what you say about his ideas and uniqueness. He's definitely one of the more creative writers out there when it comes to setting and worldbuilding. I never came across anything like Misery and I probably never will. I really like the whole 'magical / supernatural' side of that story. I don't care much about magic systems at all, and his books are far from any system, but I still appreciate the way he handles magic in a unique way.

kenubrion

I only do horror in October, but I'll be posting a link to lots of great grimdark on sale (my own and others) tomorrow morning. Every book is a winner!
Kings of Paradise is great, strong rec. Completely different style and story. The sequel is out as well. City of Kings is in the world of The Ties that Bind series and is the first book of a new series and it is very good. Steel, Blood & Fire is a classic grimdark fantasy masterpiece.

I am starting The Wolf's Call, the first book of Anthony Ryan's new series starring Vaelin and back in the Blood Song world.

Bill Door

Killed a Balrog
Finished Joe Abercrombie's A Little Hatred tonight. Great read. If you are a fan of the First Law series of books, you'll love it. I've now started Stephen King's The Stand.

Last edited: