It's October 2020: What fantasy book are you reading?

rudyjuly2

Journeyed there and back again
The magic system is testing the limits of my imagination for sure! And I'll admit, possibly from tired reading, there are times that I don't quite understand how aspects of it work.
There are some definite scenes where some pictures would have been nice. But you will get by. So much of the series is about the characters and story. The colour system and the water stuff took me a bit.

kenubrion

Is anyone planning to read / is reading something spooky for Halloween? I'm tempted to do so. I just need to find something small and standalone.
How about a Bauchelain and Korbal Broach book or novella?

rudyjuly2

I’m about 45% complete for Black Song, book 2 of the duology with Vaelin. It feels like the author is just wasting time until the final battle we are expecting. This short series is average quality. It was nice to get back into the world but let’s go! Hopefully there is at least one more subplot or something interesting yet before the finale.

kenubrion

I think I read most of those ;)
Well then, Kings of Paradise by Richard Nell is dam spooky, from page one. It's a dark, Capital D Dark epic fantasy that I've been trying to get the word out here.

Last edited:

ReguIa

Shouldn't be surprised but it sucks nonetheless that I recently picked up Dune and now the movie is delayed until December 2021..

Also disappointing that nothing is sold to streaming services. Everything put on hold for a year and a half more or less.

GreyMouser

I've started on The Blinding Knife.

rudyjuly2

Finished Black Song - final book of Vaelin's new duology. It was OK. Much of the book seems to drag. We go from A to B to C without anything really interesting happening. There is an interesting, if unoriginal, Temple scene early in and then the book goes through more minor characters while forgetting the previous books characters for long stretches. My care factor for a lot of those minor characters was not high. The middle really drags and it’s as though the author is just spinning his wheels, peddling a second book, to set up the finale we all know is coming. But the final 25% (roughly) redeems itself. There is an interesting segment before the final battle and I enjoyed the conclusion.

Overall the series was average. Definitely not as good as Blood Song or Tower Lord. Overall this book was a 3-3.5/5 and the series a 3.5/5.

My brother lent me a non-fantasy basketball book I will read. Then it will be on to Rhythm of War or Dune depending on the timing. Anyone else never remember how to spell rhythm lol?

rudyjuly2

I’m almost 60 pages in to Loose Balls and it’s significantly better than Breaks of the Game. The ABA is crazy and fun to read about. Breaks is highly regarded but I think that is from a nostalgia point of view. It’s written to an audience that the author assumes knows nearly nothing about basketball. I question how much the author actually knows. It’s incredibly dated. There is no way in a million years that book gets written today in the style it was written in. It’s like reading an old science fiction book where they dream about cars and electricity. The same author wrote Summer of 49 about baseball and I liked that a lot more but baseball is timeless.

Bill Simmons wrote a new foreword for the Kindle edition of Breaks of the Game and lauds it as a timeless classic. I completely disagree.

afa

Interesting. I guess it might seem dated because it's specifically chronicling the '70s Blazers? Or maybe it's just that the basketball world has changed a lot in that time.

Yeah, Simmons is very high on the book. That's how I'd first heard of it, actually, because I've been reading/listening to him for years and he's talked about it several times.

rudyjuly2

It’s about the 1980 Blazers I think - after their title. It’s dated because the author calls dunks “stuffs” many times. It’s not guaranteed contracts it’s “no cut” contracts. There is other lingo that is just never used any more. When the author describes the action it’s done in a way you would never read now. He writes in such a basic way when he describes the game that it’s painful at times

Now a lot of the book is about the players and there are some interesting stories. But a lot of those stories revolved around contract disputes and it gets a little tiresome too. The author bounces back and forth between players a lot and it feels a little ragged as as a result. I would recommend downloading the sample and read it for a bit. I personally was disappointed.

rudyjuly2

Last comment on basketball books as I don't want to derail this thread. Loose Balls is WAY better than Breaks of the Game. The stories and characters in the ABA are insane and hilarious. The entire 400+ page book is written in a roundtable or dialogue format. It reads like a long interview with various people in and out of the ABA at that time. I've enjoyed it a lot.

afa

Last comment on basketball books as I don't want to derail this thread. Loose Balls is WAY better than Breaks of the Game. The stories and characters in the ABA are insane and hilarious. The entire 400+ page book is written in a roundtable or dialogue format. It reads like a long interview with various people in and out of the ABA at that time. I've enjoyed it a lot.
I think the NBA should bring back the red, white and blue basketballs. They just look cooler.

rudyjuly2

I think the NBA should bring back the red, white and blue basketballs. They just look cooler.
The ABA went with red, white and blue balls simply because George Mikan as the first commissioner demanded it. He had bad eye sight and thought they were easier to see on TV (even tho the ABA was rarely on TV). He demanded that and a 3 point line. The ABA also came up with the dunk contest at the all star game. Lots of stars came from the ABA too.
As for the ball kids loved them. They preferred the coloured one over brown nearly 100% of the time.

afa

The ABA went with red, white and blue balls simply because George Mikan as the first commissioner demanded it. He had bad eye sight and thought they were easier to see on TV (even tho the ABA was rarely on TV). He demanded that and a 3 point line. The ABA also came up with the dunk contest at the all star game. Lots of stars came from the ABA too.
As for the ball kids loved them. They preferred the coloured one over brown nearly 100% of the time.
So, you're saying I have the similar tastes to little kids? Sounds about right.

I agree, though, the NBA got a lot of cool stuff from the ABA, not least of all Dr. J.