It's October 2020: What fantasy book are you reading?

kenubrion

Journeyed there and back again
I am going to begin The Trouble With Peace after I finish my current guilty pleasure, a Louis L'Amour western (cowboy) novel titled Bendigo Shafter. I really enjoyed the first book of Abercrombie's current trilogy, A Little Hatred, so I'm excited to start the new one.

fl1pper

Fought a battle in the name of the old gods
I've finished House of Chains and I have to say that it's my least favorite of the series so far. I loved the first quarter of the book which exclusively follows Karsa Orlong who is a fantastic character who just gets better and better throughout the book. After that section, it reverts back to the traditional multi PoV style of the other books which is where I started to find it hard work. Switching like that after 2 or 3 hundred pages was just irritating because by that point in a book I want to be done with all the learning who characters are. A failed experiment which I hope he didn't repeat. I didn't hate it, it just was not as fantastic as the previous books.

I am now moving on to Midnight Tides but progress will be a little slower as I finally got the Witcher 3 (the game) bug which will be quickly followed by Cyberpunk 2077 if they ever stop delaying the release.

afa

Finished Artificial Condition by Martha Wells, the second novella in The Murderbot Diaries.

This book centers around Murderbot trying to travel to a particular colony and find clues to a significant event that happened in the past, and essentially made Murderbot who it is, while hiding its true nature from any observers. Being a novella, there isn't a deep-dive into the events or what is discovered, but it does show that there are some larger forces at play here who have been up to some shady shit, and covering their tracks to avoid consequences.

There are a few new human characters in the book, but like the first novella, they aren't very interesting of fleshed out. Also like the first novella, you don't necessarily mind that because the focus is on Murderbot and a new frenemy he makes on his journey - a transport bot that Murderbot tries to manipulate, but ends up being a lot smarter and capable than Murderbot realized, and who Murderbot names ART (for Asshole Research Transport).

As with the first one, I liked it. The books so far are self-contained and not directly connected, though there are references to events from the first book, but you are now starting to see that there is a larger narrative that is being fleshed out in the background. I enjoyed it enough, not probably not as much as the first one. It's a little bit less than its predecessor, but does get some points for hinting at a larger overarching story. Since I gave the first one a 4-star, I'll give this a 3.5 out of 5.

Now starting with the next novella in the series - Rogue Protocol.

kenubrion

Finished Artificial Condition by Martha Wells, the second novella in The Murderbot Diaries.

This book centers around Murderbot trying to travel to a particular colony and find clues to a significant event that happened in the past, and ressentially made Murderbot who it is, while hiding its true nature from any observers. Being a novella, there isn't a deep-dive into the events or what is discovered, but it does show that there are some larger forces at play here who have been up to some shady shit, and covering their tracks to avoid consequences.

There are a few new human characters in the book, but like the first novella, they aren't very interesting of fleshed out. Also like the first novella, you don't necessarily mind that because the focus is on Murderbot and a new frenemy he makes on his journey - a transport bot that Murderbot tries to manipulate, but ends up being a lot smarter and capable than Murderbot realized, and who Murderbot names ART (for Asshole Research Transport).

As with the first one, I liked it. The books so far are self-contained and not directly connected, though there are references to events from the first book, but you are now starting to see that there is a larger narrative that is being fleshed out in the background. I enjoyed it enough, not probably not as much as the first one. It's a little bit less than its predecessor, but does get some points for hinting at a larger overarching story. Since I gave the first one a 4-star, I'll give this a 3.5 out of 5.

Now starting with the next novella in the series - Rogue Protocol.
Great book report, afa. About it becoming a murderbot, didn't it get explained why in book/novella one? I can't remember a thing and maybe that's because it just wasn't explained? I am definitely going to read number two now that you hint that what happened IS in this one.

afa

Great book report, afa.
About it becoming a murderbot, didn't it get explained why in book/novella one? I can't remember a thing and maybe that's because it just wasn't explained? I am definitely going to read number two now that you hint that what happened IS in this one.
So the first one does briefly tell you what supposedly happened, but there are open questions about the exact details and, more importantly, why it happened. That's what Murderbot wants to find out with his investigation. This books gives some more information about those events, but again there are questions around it (not least of all, the why). I guess we'll find out more as the series progresses.

Starting the Vagrant (bought it super cheap awhile ago).
I saw this a while back on a Kindle sale, I think, but never took the plunge, though the blurb sounded interesting.

Bill Door

Firsthanded the newest Caine adventure
Finished Abraham's The Long Price Quartet. Started it awhile ago, but I just wasn't reading much till recently. It was pretty good. I wouldn't put it up there with the best I've read, but it was enjoyable. Reviewing it as a series is hard as I thought book 1 and 4 were only decent while I loved book 2 and 3. I believe this was his first published novel work so it's impressive in that regard. I plan to get to The Expanse and later Dagger and Coin eventually. I actually thought this was the first book of his I read, but it isn't as I recently found out he was one of the writers on Hunter's Run which I read years ago when I was reading A Song of Ice and Fire and going through a GRRM phase.l

Anyway, I was going to read The Trouble with Peace next, but as it's the Halloween season and it's been awhile since I read a horror novel I've decided to start Peter Straub's Floating Dragon tonight instead.

Last edited:

Jakyro

Finished Abraham's The Long Price Quartet. Started it awhile ago, but I just wasn't reading much till recently. It was pretty good. I wouldn't put it up there with the best I've read, but it was enjoyable. Reviewing it as a series is hard as I thought book 1 and 4 were decent while I loved book 2 and 3. I believe this was his first published novel work so it's impressive in that regard. I plan to get to The Expanse and later Dagger and Coin eventually. I actually thought this was the first book of his I read, but it isn't as I recently found out he was one of the writers on Hunter's Run which I read years ago when I was reading A Song of Ice and Fire and going through a GRRM phase. lol
I'm not a big fan of Abraham's Long Price Quartet,
I liked the third book the best and the fourth book the least. The others were decent ... I think it's just a matter of taste because in general these books are highly praised. I thought there wasn't enough happening in them too really enjoy them. Especially the fourth was a bit of a slog to get through. I'm liking the Expanse series much more. I'm on book six now, and except the fourth book, I liked all of them so far

kenubrion

I haven't read anything since the pandemic hit my area back in April. Big slump.

So, I've started reading Blood and Bone by ICE. What better way to get back to reading than some Malazan!
Great choice Khartun. Have you read the Path To Ascendency trilogy yet? That will keep you reading.

Bill Door

Firsthanded the newest Caine adventure
Great choice Khartun. Have you read the Path To Ascendency trilogy yet? That will keep you reading.
I need to get to Path to Ascendancy. I need to get to a lot of books. I haven't read as much as I usually do the last two years for various reasons. I've still been buying books, though, so I have a good 20, 25 books I need to get to. lol

rudyjuly2

The Vagrant is interesting. The reviews are very polarizing. Some love it, some disappointed. It’s odd in that the main character does not speak. And the story, at least through 40 pages, is all in third person so you really don’t know what he’s fully thinking although you have a good feel. It’s also a post apocalyptic book and this setting isn’t usually my favourite but I’ve read enough good ones to be OK with it. Good so far.