It's October 2021: What fantasy book are you reading?

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I'm still re-reading The Stand, although I'm almost done now. The Wisdom of Crowds (Abercrombie) is waiting on my to be read shelf though. Can't wait!

afa

Journeyed there and back again
I'm still re-reading The Stand, although I'm almost done now. The Wisdom of Crowds (Abercrombie) is waiting on my to be read shelf though. Can't wait!
I'll be starting The Wisdom of Crowds, too. Bought it a few days ago, but haven't yet found the time to start; just had a newborn!

rudyjuly2

In a lull lately. Got a sample for Brian Stavely new trilogy based on the Kattral “The Empires Ruin”. Really enjoyed the first trilogy except for Adare in the final book. That trilogy seemed to lose steam as it went but I liked the world.

Mohammed Al Mulla

Downed a vial of metals
I really envy you guys.. Managing to finish whole books in short times that you actually get to re read any book you like.. I would do anything to be able to re read the entire David Gemmell collection.. But i have a long way to go in term of completing my pending list.. Need to get my shit together if i am to complete reading them before i go 6 feet under

Jakyro

I'll be starting The Wisdom of Crowds, too. Bought it a few days ago, but haven't yet found the time to start; just had a newborn!
congratulations afa ! ... I have a second boy on the way myself, foreseen for 11/11, but probably he'll come earlier (the first one was also 4 weeks early)

kenubrion

Major congrats afa and Jaykro! Our second child was the one we had to wait a while for but she is sure worth it.

Jakyro

Thanks everyone ... we're looking forward to it. Having a new baby around will (again) take some time getting used to. It has been almost four years since the first one was born

Mohammed Al Mulla

Downed a vial of metals
This thread turned from October readings to Congrats for new borns ^. ^ congrats for alllllll new Father's.. And old ones..
OMG.. When i said the "New Fathers" Part.. The Purge Siren came into my mind XD

kenubrion

I'm flying through the new Deverry book by Katharine Kerr as she has resumed writing the series after a more than 10 year pause. She said she was done at the 15th book in 2009 and even wrote a farewell at the end. Her writing is still as good as it was, probably because she writes so many books on different subjects. The new one, Sword of Fire, is the first of a new trilogy and it's great. New characters as it's about two hundred and fifty years later. Not as much action yet as she sets the stage for the players.

kenubrion

rudyjuly2

Reading the Emperors Ruin and I can’t remember a lot from the first trilogy and this book does next to nothing to remind me. Usually in a follow up book they might remind you what a “leach” was or a “kenta” or what happened to some older characters. Nope! On my own to read recaps.

kenubrion

I finished Sword of Fire and devoured Hail Mary and have started the new Revelation Space novel by Alistair Reynolds called Inhibitor Phase. I had no idea he was going to start writing again in that galaxy and it's great. He's an astrophysicist who went to writing and has been very successful. His Revelation Space trilogy is considered a classic and all science fiction fans should read it. It's a huge epic story that goes from one end of the galaxy to the other. Like a Neal Stephenson tale.

Last edited:

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I'm flying through the new Deverry book by Katharine Kerr as she has resumed writing the series after a more than 10 year pause. She said she was done at the 15th book in 2009 and even wrote a farewell at the end. Her writing is still as good as it was, probably because she writes so many books on different subjects. The new one, Sword of Fire, is the first of a new trilogy and it's great. New characters as it's about two hundred and fifty years later. Not as much action yet as she sets the stage for the players.
Great recommendation. I'll have to get the first book in the new trilogy.