It's September 2017 - What fantasy books are you reading?

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by TomTB, Sep 1, 2017.

1. TomTB

TomTB The Master Tweeter Staff Member

I'm reading The Black Company. It's 'meh' ...

2. Maark Abbott

Maark Abbott Journeyed there and back again

Yeah, I didn't get on with it either. Ordered book 3 a couple of years back for dirt cheap but it never arrived and I never felt obliged to chase it up.

I'm currently reading Firebrand and interspersing it with issues of Gakkou Gurashi!. I knew that I couldn't stay away from grim as fuck stuff for too long and GG! delivers that in spades. Er... In shovels.

3. Kalavan

Kalavan Ran bridges next to Kaladin

Long time no posting, but the last few months has been, although satisfying, extremely hectic, between work and restructuring my grandparents’ house and moving in with my GF I didn’t have much spare time, and the only books I’ve read are:

Tom Lloyd’s Princess of Blood: another entertaining and fast-paced, if a bit unremarkable, fantasy romp, much as the first book of this series;

Tad Williams’ The Heart of What Was Lost: a lovely and melancholic novella, a proper conclusion to the MST trilogy and at the same time a nice set up for the new Osten Ard trilogy, I was planning to wait till all the three books were published in order to start it, but now I’m tempted;

Robert Jackson Bennett’s City of Stairs: interesting and extremely well-written, but sterile, I didn’t liked nor disliked in any particular way any of the character, nor did I feel any particular attachment to any of the different factions, my expectations were definitely higher;

David Gemmell’s Troy trilogy: I really liked the Gemmell’s take on Odysseus and a few secondary characters, but all considered a quite shallow and mediocre trilogy, together with the Skillgannon’s and Sigarni’s books one of his worst works;

Megan Whalen Turner’s Thick as Thieves: another brilliant installment in this lovely YA series, but still not as good as the sensational third book;

Now halfway through Rachel Aaron’s The Spirit Thief, decent if perhaps a bit too much young adult-ish for my tastes

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Jakyro

Jakyro Ran bridges next to Kaladin

I'm still reading Dust of Dreams. I finished chapter 9 yesterday and I'm still fully entertained.
    From many comments I thought it would be one of the lesser books in the series, but for now I'm liking it pretty good. Certainly an improvement over Toll the Hounds which has been the weakest book in the series for me together with House of Chains.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Sneaky Burrito

Sneaky Burrito Crazy Cat Lady Staff Member

I thought the second and third books were a bit better. Especially the second one. I felt like the characters in book one were, like, collections of attributes (Shara likes tea and wears glasses! Mulaghesh likes to swim and wants to retire to an island!) rather than connecting with them as people.

• Like Like x 1
  6. kenubrion

kenubrion Journeyed there and back again

I'm reading book two of the Powder Mage trilogy, The Shadow Campaign, and being awed by it as I was with book one. I'm also now and then reading a few pages of The Legion of Flame, book two in Anthony Ryan's new Draconis Memoria series. 50% into it. Also reading Rite of Passage, a science fiction book that our newly formed reading club in the SF forum has selected for our first group read. After these I plan to reread The Black Company, which starts out meh but gets much better with every book in the long series.

7. rudyjuly2

rudyjuly2 A Poet of the Khaiem

I liked the first book as well but wasn't wowed by it. I may have to return to this series at some point. I did like Mulaghesh and I did enjoy the Sample for book 2. Just didn't pull the trigger.

Kenubrion - I enjoyed the first book of Promise of Blood. I really enjoyed the characters. But my one problem was I felt the book had too much deus ex machina.
    When the one guy captures Tamas and doesn't kill him right away. Wanted to bring him back home first. That annoyed me. The girl became a master of her skills with no trainer and in a short time, out fighting other more experienced people easily at the end. And I read the sample of book two and they found a secret entrance to go around. That stuff bothers me more than many and I gave up.

8. MorteTorment

MorteTorment Reluctantly made a Warden of the White Council

Yeah, my condolences. Dear god is terse prose painful!

How's it going Tom?

And yeah, currently reading Chronicles of the Necromancer: Book 1: The Summoner And I'm finally going back to timing myself and writing it down again.

Read three chapters for 20 minutes. Read about 67 out of 371 pages, for about 18% of the book. I'm liking it. It's not great, but it's very engaging. So far it's been moving at a very very fast pace, and I love it for that!

9. Andrew.J

Andrew.J Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

I'm currently reading Perdido Street Station by China Miéville. The beginning was a bit slow, but it's picking up steam very quickly now. I'm having a blast having found something I really enjoy reading. Good/engaging literature has been scarce the past few months.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Buffy V Slayer

Buffy V Slayer Knows Who John Uskglass Is

I'm about 350 pages into The Dragonbone Chair - thanks Tom! - and just ordered next one from the library. It was a slow build at the beginning, but this usually happens with my favourites (Ie. The Farseer series, LOTR, etc). Now I am thoroughly interested, and I am really enjoying it, as it's what I was looking for in this busy month of September: some good, old fashioned, farm-person-with-a-sword, epic fantasy. Fantasy is the best for it's pure escapist element so this was what I needed.

So far I'm finding it a bit of a cross between LOTR (the small, unimportant, wide-eyed protagonist with some potentially significant parentage, the mysterious wizardly figure etc) and SoIaF, due to the more dark (and graphic) elements, as well as the political manoeuvring.

Anyways, long story short, I dig it. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  11. TomTB

Once you've finished the trilogy make sure you read the recent novella The Heart of What Was Lost, as it ... erm .. nicely finishes off the trilogy :)

12. Buffy V Slayer

Buffy V Slayer Knows Who John Uskglass Is

Good to know! I feel like I've also read on the boards somewhere that Williams is writing a new trilogy in Osten Ard. Do you know if it will relate at all to the first trilogy?

13. TomTB

Not sure. I'll read it once it's near completed. I don't tend to read series until they're nearly finished due to my shockingly poor memory!

• Like Like x 1
  14. kenubrion

kenubrion Journeyed there and back again

From the Amazon product descritption: "Now, twenty-four years after the conclusion of Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn, Tad returns to his beloved universe and characters with The Witchwood Crown, the first novel in the long-awaited sequel trilogy, The Last King of Osten Ard."

So, you are correct.

15. Maark Abbott

Maark Abbott Journeyed there and back again

Haven't read Firebrand over the weekend but I am now up to the end of Issue 4 of Gakkou Gurashi! so that's cool. Grimmer than Bakker.

16. rudyjuly2

The Fifth Season or Broken Earth Series by NK Jemisin was a very good series. A post apocalyptic, sci fi (but not fantasy imo) series with a really good group of characters and an interesting premise. On the whole I think book 2 may have been the best although both the first two books were great. The final book was a slight let down for me.

I found the flashbacks very interesting with how the world was and Hoa's role in it as revealed in the final book. The present time stories with Essun and Nassun were not as interesting though. I didn't like the final "battle" as Nassun seemed too young to hate enough to kill the world and fight her mom although the resolution was fine.

Overall a very enjoyable series.

17. rudyjuly2

I think I may start the Dragonbone chair next. Maybe the Red Knight.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Silvion Night

Silvion Night Sir Readalot Staff Member

Both excellent choices, although both series are very different. You're in for a treat!

• Like Like x 2
  19. rudyjuly2

After all the talk about Dragonbone I am starting on that. Maybe it's peer pressure from Tom!
    ;)

• Like Like x 1
  20. Noor Al-Shanti

Noor Al-Shanti Stood on the wall with Druss

Dragonbone's on my TBR list now. I'm currently reading Steel, Blood and Fire. I realized after starting that it's grimdark, which I'm not really into, but the writing is great so...

• Like Like x 1