It's September 2017 - What fantasy books are you reading?

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by TomTB, Sep 1, 2017.

1. Maark Abbott

Maark Abbott Journeyed there and back again

I've had a MASSIVE paperback of Dragonbone for years now (inherited it off of my granddad about twenty years back) but never got around to reading it. That said, it's fucking huge. Almost as big as my hatred for Stormlight. Which is a bit of a put-off as I usually read when travelling.

2. fbones24

fbones24 Journeyed there and back again

It's been a long while since I posted on here. I'm currently reading "Assassin's Fate: Book 3 of the Fitz and the Fool Trilogy." Typical of most of her novels, it starts out slow but I love the way Hobb builds up the tension.

3. Buffy V Slayer

Buffy V Slayer Knows Who John Uskglass Is

Me too. She's my favourite, and I find the characters are all really memorable.

4. Buffy V Slayer

Buffy V Slayer Knows Who John Uskglass Is

If a number of you out there are picking up The Dragonbone Chair, which I am really enjoying - just finished the 1st one and am heading right into 2nd book, Stone of Farewell - maybe we can create a thread about it and discuss! I found it really picked up the pace in the last 200 pages. A good, solid, epic fantasy.

5. Bill Door

Bill Door Listens to The Unbeliever whine about life

Glen Cook - The Tower of Fear

6. Cyphon

Cyphon Journeyed there and back again

FINALLY finished The Queen of Fire by Anthony Ryan.

All of the rumors turned out to be true and this was definitely a disappointing finish to an otherwise solid series. A good portion of it felt like what is normally a middle book where there are a lot of pieces moving into position for the grand finale but Queen of Fire just combined the 2. Did a lot of moving pieces into position and went out with a......flutter? Simply put the vast majority of it just wasn't interesting. On top of that everything was WAY too easy for the good guys.

5/10

7. Kevin O Donoghue

Kevin O Donoghue Knows how to pronounce Kvothe

Read Red Sister by Mark Lawerence and the Mad Lancers by Brian McClellan. Enjoyed both. Looking for another book now. May re read Way of Kings before Oathbringer by Sanderson comes out.

8. TomTB

TomTB The Master Tweeter Staff Member

The Black Company kind of grew on me .. ended up giving it 3* on GR. The characters ended up reminding me a lot of certain ones in Malazan, which is what kept me going.

Despite saying for 90% of the book that I'd not read the sequels, I started Shadows Linger this morning. Only made a small dent but I'm already enjoying the deprived setting.

9. Maark Abbott

Maark Abbott Journeyed there and back again

I actually struggled with Black Company. For whatever reason, it just didn't click with me at all.

10. Silvion Night

Silvion Night Sir Readalot Staff Member

Like Tom said, some characters really reminded me of those in the Malazan world, especially the Bridgeburners. I mean, Croaker could have been a brother of Fiddler or Hedge.

I read the Black Company after I read Malazan. I'm not sure I would have liked Black Company if I had read it before Malazan though.

11. TomTB

Can someone help me? There was a Wheel of Time encyclopedia or similar published a year or two ago. Can someone post the link to it, there are several similar books on Amazon and I'm not sure which one it is?

12. Kalavan

Kalavan Ran bridges next to Kaladin

It should be this one https://www.amazon.com/Wheel-Time-C...43340&sr=8-1&keywords=wheel+of+time+companion

Anyway, finished The Spirit Thief, a bit too much light-hearted and YA for my tastes, but interesting, I’m probably going to give a chance to the second book of this series in the near future.

I’ve then decided to choose a random series from one of the lists on the main site, so I’ve started Laura Resnick’s Chronicles of Sirkara and I’ve probably picked up a winner, I’ve already finished In Legend Born and I’m currently halfway through the second installment, The White Dragon.

Far from perfect – there are several pacing issues, especially in the second book, and a few redundant storylines – it is nonetheless an extremely engaging and fast-paced read, a real page-turner with several complex and likeable characters, an intricate plot and an outstanding and extremely detailed world building

13. TomTB

14. The bard`s song

The bard`s song Will likely be killed by a Lannister soon

Shadowplay. Great series so far. Very traditional while not too simplistic.

15. Alucard

Alucard In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge! Staff Member

16. rudyjuly2

rudyjuly2 Ran bridges next to Kaladin

About 60 or so pages in to the Dragonbone Chair and it is a slow start. I had read that and so I'm hoping it picks up relatively soon. Some info dumping definitely taking place early on with regards to world building.

17. Bierschneeman

Bierschneeman Journeyed there and back again

My eating across the world has left me without time to read as much as I'd like. But I did manage to read Stealer of Souls ~Michael Moorcock.

The elric series has been published in many orders in the U.S., none of them approved by the author. I'm trying out a new published order. It contains all the works, in a published first chronology.

This is a pretty good set of stories, but I don't like the idea of starting with this. There's an obvious reason Moorcock has always put this book near the middle.

7.5/10

18. Bill Door

Bill Door Listens to The Unbeliever whine about life

I also read Black Company after (and because of Malazan) and initially found it a struggle, but really enjoyed it once I got into it. Glen Cook has become one of my favorite authors now.

19. ExTended

ExTended Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

I've recently finished with the whole Red Queen's War trilogy by Mark Lawrence and then with Age of Swords by Michael J. Sullivan, all of which are masterfully narrated by Tim Gerard Reynolds. Someone should clone the guy like a million times and then pass a law for every book in the world to be narrated by him or something drastic like that. The narrators of his level when it comes to fantasy are just too few - many great guys and gals, but too few exceptional ones.

About the books themselves - I'd content myself with noting that Age of Swords is a very, very, very fine example of how you write a female character centered story. In this case it's a group of female characters the story is mostly revolving around, but it's done splendidly. Not perfectly, but it still should be the go-to textbook-like work when authors like Sarah J. Maas and Victoria Aveyard and the sort go on writing female characters who are either Mary Sue x 2, or whos shallowness is hidden behind a barrage of love-triangles and pentagons.

A little bit of a rant, but having recently gone through a few YA fantasy works, I've developed a fine distaste for good fantasy stories ruined by purple prose and aimless romances.

But back on the point - Tim Gerard Reynolds - a legend. Age of Swords and The Red Queen's War - solid works. Not impeccable, nor perfect, but comfortably in the middle between very good and awesome.

20. hamnida

hamnida Killed in the battle against the Mad King

I just finished Red Sister by Mark Lawrence. Very engaging with plenty of action, but not as dark and grimy as his previous books. The atmosphere reminded me of Gene Wolfe.