It's September 2017 - What fantasy books are you reading?

Darth Tater

Journeyed there and back again
I finished reading Wolves of the Calla yesterday, and it was definitely better than Wizard and Glass. The book felt more like the first three books, the only thing I didn't like was Callahan's tale. It wasn't really that long but it felt as if it was, I just found it boring and uninteresting. The book ended with a few what-the-fuck moments, and it has setup the next book very nicely indeed.

This was also the book that actually made me like Susannah better, which I'm really grateful for especially since the next book is called 'The Song of Susannah' and I'm looking forward to how it plays out. One of the things I really like is the way these books are connected to each other, and also how these books are linked to some of his other books.
IIRC, IMO, Susannah was the creepiest of the book. In the last two books some really bizarre stuff pops up.

It is fine to read the following Callahan spoiler for people who've completed the Wolves book. Maybe beneficial for even those who haven't. It explains why he goes into detail about Callahans past. But I agree it was a bit TMI.

He went into so much about Callahan's past because he was catching the reader up with Callahans role and experience in a previous Stephen King book called Salems Lot. I think it was one of Kings first books. In the series there are many references to the Stand (Crimson King and Walking Dude, a restaurant, Captain Tripps (the killer flu, etc.) and other books.

MorteTorment

Knows Who John Uskglass Is
I wrote a summary of my reading this month on a goodreads forum. figured I might as well post it here as well.

I've read so much this month that it's insane! And yeah, hoping that someone will respond to this.

Started off with [book:The Summoner|321353], then I went on vacation and was able to just relax more, leading me to read more, where I tried going through [book:Blood Rites|99383], but I just found it kinda annoying.

Still on vacation, I decided to check out another YA fantasy novel (yeah, those that know me here, I now read YA novels, and I'm so happy I do now.) series, and I started out where it was recommended with the prequel [book:The Assassin's Blade|18243700] where I got to know an an awesome female assassin main character. Then I broke character and decided to read the next book right away, something I'm rarely able to do, as I'm someone who can rarely read another book in the same series without a few months passing by, and I rarely read more than 2 books in a series in a year. To make things even more complicated, I made a mistake and read book 2 in the series instead [book:Crown of Midnight|17167166]. From what I hear the book series changes so much after it that it feels like it's a whole new series, so I'm not looking forward to more of it, but I'll eventually give it a chance.

Finally back from vacation, I decided to continue on with Drizz't's origin trilogy with The Dark Elf Trilogy via [book:Exile|66678], It's just as good as I remember, and I'm so glad that I got over myself and admitted that I lie R. A Salvatore's trilogy. I need to read more pf his work sometime, and while I'll skip [book:The Icewind Dale Trilogy Collector's Edition|62485] as I never liked it, I plan to read a detailed summary of them, and continue on with whatever's next.

In more getting over myself news, I picked back up [book:Red Sister|25895524] and finished it this time, so now I have 2 female main character assassins to look forward to reading more of in the future, so yay me!

Still wanting more assassins, I read [book:A Dance of Mirrors|17368232] and had a blast. Came close to a 5 star review. So different for the series!

Finally, I decided to finally give A Forgotten Realms book that isn't Drizz't related a chance, and went with something written by both a male and female author, and looked for something promising. Something that was an adventure of self discovery, and I ended up reading a really really fun sword and sorcery novel known as [book:Azure Bonds|291735]. It was essentially a pure fun fantasy novel. My only complaint is that it's part of a trilogy, yet the main characters story seems to end with this book, and I really really wanted to see her go on more adventures. Sure the sequel has some reoccurring characters, but it's the main character that I wanted to see more of. Also, the main character in the sequel sounds kinda bland.To make matters much worse, I looked into all the other Forgotten Realms series up until 98 and nothing else comes off as a fun adventure, which is a shame. In fact, a lot of it seems to be about war, which is a major shame.

Wow, 7 book. Been quite a month.

Bierschneeman

Been away from reading for a bit, starting Brian buckley's winterbirth.

I read this when it came out during my (rediscover fantasy) phase. I remember liking the first hundred pages , but hating it from there strictly because its resemblance to the awful, badly written avatar (which came out when I reached the halfway point) I have all three of the trilogy. Best try again and finish it.

Darth Tater

No, I'm eagerly awaiting the last installment of the Shadow Campaigns, and I think that every book in this series is better than the previous one - although The Thousand Names is still a personal favorite o'mine, due to the unusual setting and my predilection for military fantasy.
But they do become quite different beasts after the first book: a completely different setting, much less focus on the military in favour of political aspects, and a much better -although still far from perfect - characterization.
Thanks Kalavan. I will definitely take what you said into consideration. Still slow going at 62% and I just don't know but it is encouraging that you think the series improves as it progresses.

However, I too like it when there is a military focus while politics can become tiresome to me at a certain point. That along with an urban setting makes me heaitant.

Then again what you said sounds intriguing and I'm a bit more curious now as well. Since I still have almost 200 pages to go I will see where I'm at when I've completed the book. :cool:

kenubrion

You've said on numerous occasions that you will never read GOT or ASOIAF because of what others have said.

Darth Tater

You've said on numerous occasions that you will never read GOT or ASOIAF because of what others have said.
1. That has absolutely no relation whatsoever to your claim of people badmouthing books they haven't read.

2. Almost everyone, including yourself, asks for feedback on books. Why ask if you aren't sincere about using their feedback as part of your "choosing equation"? I have confidence in, trust and respect most of the the people here a lot more than some jacket cover. By implication it sounds like you do not feel that way. That's your prerogative. Forum members address specific concerns you have and are truly seem that their only motivation is trying to help others find something they enjoy. I've never received advice here that is self serving. I'm at a loss as to seeing why anyone would take issue with this? Why would anyone even care what criteria another person uses to chooses their book?

kenubrion

Darth, I apologize. I'm going to do as Monte says and let it go. I'm not even going to point out that calling people out for trashing a book(s) they haven't read based on someone else's opinion, is appropriate on a books forum. I will get over it and again I apologize.

Darth Tater

Darth, I apologize. I'm going to do as Monte says and let it go. I'm not even going to point out that calling people out for trashing a book(s) they haven't read based on someone else's opinion, is appropriate on a books forum. I will get over it and again I apologize.

I think you just did point it out. If so, I still contend that I did no such thing. But no matter. No need at all for...errr... "apologies". ;) I will in turn not point out that there isn't anybody on a book forum in any position to tell me that my method for choosing books for myself is dumb and that therefore they know what is best and should work best for me because it isn't their way of doing things. Agreed! Let's move on...although I'm sure sooner or later it is inevitable ...:hilarious:

MorteTorment

Knows Who John Uskglass Is
I've never sat down and listened to that song before, and watched the animation. That was beautiful! Both the song and the animation.

Last edited:

kenubrion

Reading The Death of the Necromancer by Martha Wells as well as Taerak's Void (Fantastica Book 1), M.R. Mathias' first book in his new series.

Peat

Finished Three Parts Dead. There are, I think on very cold reflection, a problems of substance, but the sheer style and wonder of it all completely overwhelms this. As a match of really cool idea and damn stellar writing goes, it beats everything I've encountered since... at least Lies of Locke Lamora/The Goddess Project, possibly as far back as Pratchett himself. I think I'm prepared to give this a 6/5 and, while I am a mostly generous marker, I don't usually feel the need to scream "Your rating system is invalid for how awesome this book is!"

I'll have to come back and revisit my feelings once they've cooled a little.

rudyjuly2

Ran bridges next to Kaladin
Finished Three Parts Dead. There are, I think on very cold reflection, a problems of substance, but the sheer style and wonder of it all completely overwhelms this. As a match of really cool idea and damn stellar writing goes, it beats everything I've encountered since... at least Lies of Locke Lamora/The Goddess Project, possibly as far back as Pratchett himself. I think I'm prepared to give this a 6/5 and, while I am a mostly generous marker, I don't usually feel the need to scream "Your rating system is invalid for how awesome this book is!"

I'll have to come back and revisit my feelings once they've cooled a little.
I haven't read this yet. Three Parts Dead is modern fantasy is it not? I tend to stay away from that as I like the old school feel of no technology - just swords and magic. At the same time I loved Vicious. If I may ask, what is the #1 reason someone that doesn't want to read modern fantasy should read this book? I see your review among others that suggest it's very good and it's pretty cheap on Kindle too.

Peat

I haven't read this yet. Three Parts Dead is modern fantasy is it not? I tend to stay away from that as I like the old school feel of no technology - just swords and magic. At the same time I loved Vicious. If I may ask, what is the #1 reason someone that doesn't want to read modern fantasy should read this book? I see your review among others that suggest it's very good and it's pretty cheap on Kindle too.
Its hard to give a time period for it. There is technology, powered by divine forces, but not huge amounts of it. I think the ships rely on wind. No guns. Carriages pulled along by horses. I suppose its all physical might and magic, although mainly magic. I guess my end answer would be its sorta steampunk but not really. I'm not sure if it would be too modern for you, but its certainly not Urban Fantasy or a modern day one.

Reasons people might love this book -

The writing style sits somewhere between neo-noir and somewhat ornate trad fantasy. I'm jealous of now that I think about it.
Interesting magic system that has a big influence on the world and the story
Good mystery plot
Interesting characters - they're not explored that deeply, but Gladstone does a fair bit with the time he gives them
Interesting world - great mix of metaphysics, modernism and post-apocalyptic

The comparison I make in my mind is to Robert Jackson Bennett's City of Stairs - half-modern, half-archaic mystery with gods and bureaucracy - only this book has a better style and pacing. Other comparisons might be a grown-up chain-smoking cynical version of Pullman's Northern Lights, The Goddess Project only with mean streets and lawyers instead of occult adventures... uhm... Gaiman, but with far less passive characters and far less fairy tale and a brisker style. I'm struggling a little here tbh, there's not a lot to compare it to, although whatever this subgenre is I want in.

TomTB

The Master Tweeter
Staff member
Currently reading The White Rose, #3 in the Black Company series. Shadows Linger was superb, possibly the best book I've read this year. Great characters (very Malazan-esque), a page turning plot and a dark, dank setting. I'd put this series as a cross between Malazan and Drenai. Good stuff!!