It's September 2018: What fantasy book are you reading?

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
I'm currently reading The Bonehunters. It has a weirder, darker feel to it so far, than the rest of the books, but I haven't read that much so I could be totally off base.

Matticus Primal

Journeyed there and back again
Rereading Promise of Blood for a podcast appearance and am again in awe of the sheer number of plot threads going on here. Revolution, creating a new government, a noir-ish detective story, a hunt for traitors, an invasion... and that's just 50% of the way through.

This and Wexler's 1000 Names have got to be the best flintlock fantasy out there.

Maark Abbott

Slammed through Issues 3-3 of Re:Zero manga. Now this is how you do dark as the abyss.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Currently reading "Sapiens" by Harari. It's an account of the history of mankind from 2 million years ago all the way up to today. Some interesting insights and some points I don't really agree with, but a great read nonetheless.

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
Karsa's back. The big oaf.

Kind of like him now.
What has happened to me?! I hated his guts, but that battle with the dragon-like monster (I'm guessing it was a d'iver?) was pretty damn epic.

Noor Al-Shanti

Is a wondrous friend of modest Kruppe
Slammed through Issues 3-3 of Re:Zero manga. Now this is how you do dark as the abyss.

Does it make more sense than the anime? I liked the first few episodes, but then I found it just started to become really random... and yeah, just a little bit too dark for my tastes...

Maark Abbott

Does it make more sense than the anime? I liked the first few episodes, but then I found it just started to become really random... and yeah, just a little bit too dark for my tastes...
Too dark? No Slogs for yoooooooooooou. Also, I can't really see how the anime would come over as random at all; the story is very structured and quite straightforward.

The manga, so far, has followed the anime without deviation.

RE Karsa: Whilst I of course love him, the fact that the Unready's bleating has delayed Kharkanas in favour of the Teblor is... distressing.

Maark Abbott

So I've got issue 1 of New Game! to go through and then finish up Killing Slimes. After that, maybe finish Crown of Stars or give GGK a whirl? I'm not enticed to go near anything current at all just now.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Karsa's back. The big oaf.

Kind of like him now.
What has happened to me?! I hated his guts, but that battle with the dragon-like monster (I'm guessing it was a d'iver?) was pretty damn epic.
Join the club. I didn't like Karsa in House of Chain and only came to like him in subsequent books. Upon my current (third) re-read he is by far my favorite character. Very complex.

Travis

Might as well be a Malazan regular
I finished Age of Assassins and while the writing itself was nothing special (kind of what I expected from a debut book - neither particularly good or bad, just average), and the plot was pretty basic, it was a fun read. The plot twists were pretty easy to see from a mile away, and when I thought things were too obvious and that there must be something I don't expect, they still turned out the way I expected. It was a short book though and kind of ended up reading like a YA book without the annoying YA tropes. Young protagonist learning about the world, romance subplot (that was handled, if not especially well, at least not grating and annoying to read), fast paced plot, and little to no world-building. But I did enjoy it and have started the 2nd book Blood of Assassins. I'd give the first book a 7.5-8/10.

Last edited:

Blastoise

Got in a fistfight with Dresden
I'm on the second Malazan book, Deadhouse Gates, and found myself struggling a bit. A lot of the names (characters, cities, etc) are fairly similar and/or completely foreign, so trying to take the story in small bites (like I have been doing) makes it a little challenging for me to follow/remember some of the things going on/the relations between characters and different parts of the story. I've now switched to trying to speed read (ish- certainly must faster than my normal pacing, probably a solid 4x times faster) and I'm having better success in terms of getting a better feel for the relations and remembering names of characters/places/things, helping improve my enjoyment of the series. I would say, that up to this point, I still enjoyed the first book more than the second. I'm about 30% through the second.

I had no trouble making it through all of ASOIAF, but the names in that series are a lot closer to conventional names IRL and a lot less "obnoxious" (for a lack of a better word). Tbf, I also digested ASOIAF in bigger chunks as well.

kenubrion

I started Bloody Rose. I recall that Kings of the Wyld started slowly for me before grabbing me in the second half. Hope that will happen again. Anyone else reading it yet? I think I will put it aside for a while because two highly anticipated sci-fi novels dropped yesterday, Accidental War by Walter Jon Williams and Salvation by Peter Hamilton. War is the new book in Williams' Praxis/Dread Empire military space opera series which is the best of that genre that I have read. Like Glen Cook's new Black Company novel, it returns to a series that was considered complete a decade ago. Salvation begins a completely new universe and story line for Hamilton and involves colonization of the far flung regions of our galaxy.

Last edited:

Khartun

I started Bloody Rose. I recall that Kings of the Wyld started slowly for me before grabbing me in the second half. Hope that will happen again. Anyone else reading it yet? I think I will put it aside for a while because two highly anticipated sci-fi novels dropped yesterday, Accidental War by Walter Jon Williams and Salvation by Peter Hamilton. War is the new book in Williams' Praxis/Dread Empire military space opera series which is the best of that genre that I have read. Like Glen Cook's new Black Company novel, it returns to a series that was considered complete a decade ago. Salvation begins a completely new universe and story line for Hamilton and involves colonization of the far flung regions of our galaxy.
Speaking of Jon Williams series, the other books are all on sale for $3.99 or $4.99 right now.

GreyMouser

I think it's cool how different people can have completely different experiences reading the same material. I felt that Kings of the Wylde and now Bloody Rose both started out at a perfect pace and slowly built up as I read on. In my opinion, Nicholas Eames has gotten even better at pacing, has added more depth to his amazing world and he somehow just keeps churning out top notch characters.

Maark Abbott

I got halfway into KOTW and DNF'd it because the pace was far, far too fast. That and it just fell entirely flat for me in terms of world, characters and story. I directly blame it for my current reading funk because it was so, so hyped and delivered exactly nothing.

In this it has a distinction because I even managed to finish WOK.

kenubrion

Speaking of Jon Williams series, the other books are all on sale for $3.99 or $4.99 right now.
Great news, Khartun! Thank you. I think everyone should read Quillifer, his new epic fantasy series beginning book and his first try at epic fantasy. It's just great. His Praxis trilogy is the best military space opera I've read and as I mentioned he has written a new Praxis book. Hardwired and Angel Station are my favorite sci-fi books and I have several more I want to get to so THANK YOU Khartun.

Edit to note that in his blog posts on his author's page, he mentions that he is just finishing the sequel to Quillifer. Great news.

He writes: "You can read The Accidental War without having read the earlier books in the series, but we do want you to read them, so the first three ebooks of the Praxis are now on sale, and will remain on sale for the rest of September."

Last edited:

Darwin

@kenubrion I loved Bloody Rose. I was in right from the beginning, though.

I'm currently listening to Foundryside by the guy who wrote City of Stairs. I read the first book in his last series and I liked it, but then forgot too much to continue the series without re-reading book 1, which I wasn't up to at the time. Anyway, I'm ~7 chapters in and it's just ok. Another example of a book reduced in quality by following Sanderson's laws of magic.

kenubrion

I think Tam is too nice and there isn't the edge that Kings had, about the most edge ever. I like it dark. Maark, note to you, if you get to the second half you'll be satisfied with darkness of the tale.

Edit to say I can't believe I'm the only person here to read Quillifer. It's great. And it's only $7.99