It's September 2018: What fantasy book are you reading?

Peat

Journeyed there and back again
Currently reading

The Eagle's Flight by DE Olsen - Very old fashioned and political, but intriguing
The House of Shattered Wings by Aliette de Bodard - Slow, intricate, intriguing. Reminds me a little of GGK.

GreyMouser

I got halfway into KOTW and DNF'd it because the pace was far, far too fast. That and it just fell entirely flat for me in terms of world, characters and story. I directly blame it for my current reading funk because it was so, so hyped and delivered exactly nothing.

In this it has a distinction because I even managed to finish WOK.
Oh well every book has its haters. I'll try to stop over-hyping for my part.

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
I've read KOTW and really liked it - 4 stars on GR. It had all the elements of classic fantasy adventure, with a slight twist of featuring middle aged grumpy men and the humour that goes along with that kind - which only made the book better in my opinion. Granted, as a middle aged grumpy lady I'm biased and sympathetic to it.
It was a really solid debut, and one of my favorite books in 2017, along with another debut: Blackwing by Ed McDonald - which has a completely different tone and is a proper representative of grimdark genre.

I'm looking forward to Bloody Rose.

GreyMouser

I've read KOTW and really liked it - 4 stars on GR. It had all the elements of classic fantasy adventure, with a slight twist of featuring middle aged grumpy men and the humour that goes along with that kind - which only made the book better in my opinion. Granted, as a middle aged grumpy lady I'm biased and sympathetic to it.
It was a really solid debut, and one of my favorite books in 2017, along with another debut: Blackwing by Ed McDonald - which has a completely different tone and is a proper representative of grimdark genre.

I'm looking forward to Bloody Rose.
I read KOTW and Blackwing after reading your descriptions of them here and really enjoyed both. In fact, most of the TV shows and books I've read in the last 6 or 7 years have come from recommendations here. This site rules.

Ravencry is next in line TBR after I finish Bloody Rose and Acts of Caine.

Alucard

Staff member
I read KOTW and Blackwing after reading your descriptions of them here and really enjoyed both. In fact, most of the TV shows and books I've read in the last 6 or 7 years have come from recommendations here. This site rules.

Ravencry is next in line TBR after I finish Bloody Rose and Acts of Caine.
Ah I didn't know that. I'm really happy you liked them :)
I've read Ravencry last month. It's just as good, if not better than Blackwing. Capt. Galharrow has officially made it to my list of favorite characters.

rudyjuly2

Finally finished the Liveship trader trilogy by Robin Hobb. The final book was just too slow and uneventful much like the entire trilogy. I waited for it to pick up and yet it dragged too long at times. The characters and interactions were good but this series should have been shorter imo. I did enjoy the finish of the book which made up for the rest.

GreyMouser

Ah I didn't know that. I'm really happy you liked them :)
I've read Ravencry last month. It's just as good, if not better than Blackwing. Capt. Galharrow has officially made it to my list of favorite characters.
That's exciting to hear! I'm going to have to read Ravencry next after Bloody Rose. I pre-ordered it and have been looking at it out of the corner of my eye every time I pass by my bookshelves.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I finished Sapiens by Harari. Good book, but also had some weird chapters, such as the one on agriculture and the one on patriarchy. I gave it 4 GR stars (8/10).

I now started on Station Eleven by Emily St John Mandel. It's a story set in a post-Apocalyptic world. It's about a troupe of actors who traverse what once was Michigan 20 years after the calamity that annihilated most of civilization. The story meanders between the post-Apocalyptic here and now and the pre-calamity years. The lives of the characters are very cleverly interwoven (I'm about half way through now) and I'm really having a blast reading it. This is one of those books that qualify as literature in my view (just like a canticle for Leibowitz). A very satisfying read.

Bierschneeman

Finished
The Dreamthiefs Daughter~ Michael Moorcock

This has been on my TBR for a while. worth it. This is one of the best of his work. One of his early characters ,Count Von Bek, was unconnected to the eternal champion. a german explorer during, and counter, to Jules verne heroes. Doing all sorts of wild extravagance in adventure.
but now his descendant takes the role. this time he is part of the eternal champion. The world war 2 is in full swing and Ulrich Von bek wants nothing to do with it. His cousin is trying to steal his family heirloom Black runeblade as property of the Reich in unauthorized hands. when he dreams into the new world to combine with Elric in his battle against chaos.
this time Law is the evil antagonists. (much like mirroring the events earth side.

Moorcock originally chose his german hero to thumb his nose at the rampant xenophobia infesting england at the time. This time He needs not. I think this was just to tie in his characters together as the eternal champion.

whats next... more TBRs that i keep putting off. I tried reading Abercrombie a few years back, time to give it another go.

9/10

Khartun

I think Tam is too nice and there isn't the edge that Kings had, about the most edge ever. I like it dark. Maark, note to you, if you get to the second half you'll be satisfied with darkness of the tale.

Edit to say I can't believe I'm the only person here to read Quillifer. It's great. And it's only $7.99
Adding it to mount TBR.

Alucard

Staff member
I finished Sapiens by Harari. Good book, but also had some weird chapters, such as the one on agriculture and the one on patriarchy. I gave it 4 GR stars (8/10).

I now started on Station Eleven by Emily St John Mandel. It's a story set in a post-Apocalyptic world. It's about a troupe of actors who traverse what once was Michigan 20 years after the calamity that annihilated most of civilization. The story meanders between the post-Apocalyptic here and now and the pre-calamity years. The lives of the characters are very cleverly interwoven (I'm about half way through now) and I'm really having a blast reading it. This is one of those books that qualify as literature in my view (just like a canticle for Leibowitz). A very satisfying read.
You always read books that I find interesting and that sit on my PTR list for ages, or that I know are a bit more than just your ordinary fantasy/sf, but there are always some more fun titles to choose instead. So these classics end up sitting on my shelf for ages. For example it took me a long time to start Hyperion, and it's a wonderful book, along with Endimiyon, and I enjoyed the heck out of it, but not as much as I did when reading Ravencry for example - a classic grimdark. I don't know what it is, I guess it's more work and less reward, even though it's still rewarding. Idk...do you have some similar or different sentiments on this?

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
You always read books that I find interesting and that sit on my PTR list for ages, or that I know are a bit more than just your ordinary fantasy/sf, but there are always some more fun titles to choose instead. So these classics end up sitting on my shelf for ages. For example it took me a long time to start Hyperion, and it's a wonderful book, along with Endimiyon, and I enjoyed the heck out of it, but not as much as I did when reading Ravencry for example - a classic grimdark. I don't know what it is, I guess it's more work and less reward, even though it's still rewarding. Idk...do you have some similar or different sentiments on this?
Well, I've not really given it a lot of thought to be honest. I just read whatever catches my interest. I try to intersperse my fantasy reading with other genres (speculative fiction, post-Apocalyptic novels, sometimes drama or horror) and non-fiction.

Actually, sometimes when I'm on here I see you guys reading all these awesome fantasy books and I realize I have catching up to do. It often triggers me into buying a new cool series. For example, I'm now looking into buying the Greatcoats series, because I've seen you lot so excited about it.

So I guess that I tend to read these classics that are sitting on your shelf and you are reading the fun stuff that is sitting on my shelf. :p

Alucard

Staff member
So I guess that I tend to read these classics that are sitting on your shelf and you are reading the fun stuff that is sitting on my shelf. :p
That's a great way to put it tbh :D
I guess the fun stuff just has a stronger call in my case.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Thanks for that Silvion. What a great recommendation. Nobody has said a word about it. Now I'm putting it in the queue.
I can really, really recommend it, kenubrion. I'm about 3/4ths in now. If the ending is just as good as the rest of the book, it will be my new favorite post-Apocalyptic novel.

Maark Abbott

Oh well every book has its haters. I'll try to stop over-hyping for my part.
The massive hype is pretty exhausting, especially given that the book was just a letdown in every regard. I'll reiterate that I managed to slog to the end of The Wank of Kings and we all know my thoughts on that one, and KOTW was a DNF.

Anyway, I've finally started reading something again though: In The Ruins, volume 6 of Crown of Stars. And within 20 pages it's smashing the bad taste out of my mouth pretty rapidly. Looking forward to getting back to it.

I've cautiously had my eye on the Blackwing stuff but the incredibly thin girth of the tomes is offputting.