It's September 2018: What fantasy book are you reading?

kenubrion

Journeyed there and back again
A note on Red Sister, although a few here have said they have read it: I am getting such a kick out of the coming of age story of a little girl, or rather girls, the first such after all boys' COA stories. I have daughters so this appeals. Nona is a great character and unique in my reading life. At 33% I cannot put it down, I have to find out what's next and hear her say something again. And the action hasn't even started, it's mostly background. Love it.

ExTended

A note on Red Sister, although a few here have said they have read it: I am getting such a kick out of the coming of age story of a little girl, or rather girls, the first such after all boys' COA stories. I have daughters so this appeals. Nona is a great character and unique in my reading life. At 33% I cannot put it down, I have to find out what's next and hear her say something again. And the action hasn't even started, it's mostly background. Love it.
These books are some of the best girls COA stories out there. The young-adult authors should watch and learn from mr. Lawrence, about how a girl could be bad-ass in a quiet, efficient, non-teen-angst way and have a character arc that doesn't revolve around splitting love pentagons apart.

In the meantime I've finished the 2nd and 3rd book in The Wounded Kingdom trilogy by R. J. Barker and I have a new favorite for the most under-rated non-household author out there. The quality of the 3rd book is bordering on outstanding. The first books is very nice too, the second one was a bit average.

8/10 for the whole trilogy, 8.7/10 for the 3rd book. :)

And the audiobook narrations are no less than brilliant. Brilliant I tell you. Joe Jameson has easily become one of my favorite narrators after The Greatcoats series and this one. He has also narrated The Broken Empire by Mark Lawrence and I am actually considering going for a re-read at some point, just so I can hear this marvelous man narrate me some roguish protagonists with his mesmerizing voice. 11/10!

Having one's book narrated by him or Michael J. Sullivan - that's the dream, guys, that's the author's dream of dreams! :)

Also re-reading some WoT and Harry Potter. It's so damn comforting and relaxing. :)

@kenubrion - I'd advise you on giving Nevernight a chance too. Another decent teen girl COA story, although a touch or two more young-adultish.

kenubrion

@kenubrion - I'd advise you on giving Nevernight a chance too. Another decent teen girl COA story, although a touch or two more young-adultish.
Thanks for your comments and the rec of Nevernight, Extended. A reviewer of Red Sister mentioned it but I wouldn't have checked it out without your suggestion.

Now, on your narration comments, Michael J. Sullivan narrates books as well as writing great ones? How cool is that?

ExTended

Thanks for your comments and the rec of Nevernight, Extended. A reviewer of Red Sister mentioned it but I wouldn't have checked it out without your suggestion.

Now, on your narration comments, Michael J. Sullivan narrates books as well as writing great ones? How cool is that?
Damn, sorry! I've written the wrong name.

It's Tim Gerard Reynolds. He narrates all of the Michael J. Sullivan's book, so I'm automatically associating the two of them. He also narrates The Red Queen's War trilogy by Lawrence and Pierce Brown's book, well and many others tbh, and he is utterly awesome.

About Nevernight - yeah, it's a very decent YA fantasy. A somewhat sharpish sense of humor that totally changes the tone of the books for the better. A very immature sense of humor that makes the characters to seems more mature than they are, if that makes sense. Very similar to The Lies of Locke Lamora in that regard. :)