It's September 2019: What fantasy book are you reading?

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I'm on a sci-fi roll at the moment, so no fantasy for me currently. How about y'all?

Cyphon

Journeyed there and back again
I am reading Dark Age by Pierce Brown. Even as a fan of the series I am having trouble getting into it early on. Because of the names and my lack of memory it feels like I am reading a dictionary. Hit with complicated looking names and places makes it hard to re-connect with the characters. Hopefully I can find my rhythm with it soon. This might be one where I need to stop and read back through the series in order to fully appreciate it.

Peat

Recently finished The Killing Moon by NK Jemisin, which falls under the category of hugely admire and like a lot but don't quite love, and am something of a pause. Probably going to try and finish The King in Yellow, and I've got a review copy of the latest Marie Brennan which I should read but am considering whether I'm willing to read period prose and vapours anymore and two beta reads, and after that... got a few options, but nothing singing to me. Got a decent stack of books I want to read, but nothing I'm mad to read. Maybe some re-reads beckon.

ReguIa

Finished The Fires of Heaven, another fantastic book. Thinking about getting started on Red rising. I saw the newest one just came out and I guess there will be at least one more to finish a second trilogy perhaps? I'm weird in the way that I actually get more interested if the series is ongoing. I like having releases to look forward to. Though only if there's a reasonable amount of books to wait for of course!

@Silvion Night Did you also read Tiamat's Wrath after Persepolis Rising or did you take a break from Expanse?

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Finished The Fires of Heaven, another fantastic book. Thinking about getting started on Red rising. I saw the newest one just came out and I guess there will be at least one more to finish a second trilogy perhaps? I'm weird in the way that I actually get more interested if the series is ongoing. I like having releases to look forward to. Though only if there's a reasonable amount of books to wait for of course!

@Silvion Night Did you also read Tiamat's Wrath after Persepolis Rising or did you take a break from Expanse?
It's not available in paperback yet! And I'll be damned if I buy the hardcover. I want it to match with the rest of the series on my book shelf. Sucks though, as I was looking forward to continuing the series.

ReguIa

It's not available in paperback yet! And I'll be damned if I buy the hardcover. I want it to match with the rest of the series on my book shelf. Sucks though, as I was looking forward to continuing the series.
Yea I know that problem. For me it's not even available in hardcover, I can only get the paperback. Or trade paperback or whatever it's called. The bigger version.

I decided to pick up The Desert Spear after The Fires of Heaven. 100 pages in and so far very solid.

Khartun

Yea I know that problem. For me it's not even available in hardcover, I can only get the paperback. Or trade paperback or whatever it's called. The bigger version.

I decided to pick up The Desert Spear after The Fires of Heaven. 100 pages in and so far very solid.
A lot of people around here didn't like Desert Spear. I loved the whole series.

ReguIa

A lot of people around here didn't like Desert Spear. I loved the whole series.
I've heard the series as a whole apparently takes a downturn but I haven't looked into it too much as I'd rather go into it blank and decide for myself.

I'm 200 pages in now. I'm loving the switch in focus and all that. Going back and getting a fully fleshed out story from the Krasian perspective leading up to present day is perfectly done.

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
I've finished the Raven's Mark series and I got to say that this is one of the best debuts I've ever read. Ed McDonald has an incredibly developed personal style of writing for somebody that's so new to this game. One of the most notable things about this series is the setting - Misery. I've never read about such a place or even a similar concept anywhere else. For those of you that like world building, this might be interesting. But in end the author really shined in the emotionally charged conclusion that is this third book.

I read primarily for the characters. I'm just that kind of a reader. The book can have great setting, great ideas, but if it has bad character development or just cardboard cut-outs for characters, I'm out. Ryhalt Galharrow, a Blackwing captain is anything but that. To be honest this guy is right up there with Logan Ninefingers and Geralt of Rivia for me.

You'll probably like this series if you like Joe Abercrombie or Richard Morgan (A Land Fit for Heroes specifically). I also read people saying if you like Peter Newman you'll like Ed too, but I haven't read Newman so I can't say.

It's a gritty, grimdark series, LordGrimdark himself would be proud of.

What can I say, UK has another really good writer. I'll definitely be reading whatever he comes up with next.

Now back to Dresden.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I've finished the Raven's Mark series and I got to say that this is one of the best debuts I've ever read. Ed McDonald has an incredibly developed personal style of writing for somebody that's so new to this game. One of the most notable things about this series is the setting - Misery. I've never read about such a place or even a similar concept anywhere else. For those of you that like world building, this might be interesting. But in end the author really shined in the emotionally charged conclusion that is this third book.

I read primarily for the characters. I'm just that kind of a reader. The book can have great setting, great ideas, but if it has bad character development or just cardboard cut-outs for characters, I'm out. Ryhalt Galharrow, a Blackwing captain is anything but that. To be honest this guy is right up there with Logan Ninefingers and Geralt of Rivia for me.

You'll probably like this series if you like Joe Abercrombie or Richard Morgan (A Land Fit for Heroes specifically). I also read people saying if you like Peter Newman you'll like Ed too, but I haven't read Newman so I can't say.

It's a gritty, grimdark series, LordGrimdark himself would be proud of.

What can I say, UK has another really good writer. I'll definitely be reading whatever he comes up with next.

Now back to Dresden.
I was looking for my next Fantasy series after quite a long sabbatical. Guess I found it. Thanks for the rec, Alucard!

Alucard

Staff member
Hope you like it Silvion!
Giving out recs is always tricky. I don't want to lead anyone down the road of spending money and not enjoying the book. I feel like I would waste that other person's time and money, which is why I gave those parameters of liking grimdark :)

Khartun

Hope you like it Silvion!
Giving out recs is always tricky. I don't want to lead anyone down the road of spending money and not enjoying the book. I feel like I would waste that other person's time and money, which is why I gave those parameters of liking grimdark :)
I've read the first book and enjoyed it very much. It's a solid rec.

ReguIa

The Desert Spear is just fantastic.
450 pages in. Again I'm surprised at how great this is. I always thought it would be more focused on plot and fast paced action like a Sanderson novel. Not like this, being most of all a character focused story with a slow burn in regards to the demons. I mentioned before how that will probably change eventually but still, the build up is so good.
Arlen returning to Miln is something that will stay with me for a long time. I did not expect that to hit me as hard as it did. I also have to mention the sections from the demon princes POV, AMAZING.

Alucard

Staff member
Anthony Ryan's new book The Wolf's Call. very happy to have a new Vaelin story.
That came out?
I loved the whole Raven's Shadow trilogy, absolutely hated The Waking Fire (1st book of his new Draconis Memoria trilogy), so much so, that I dropped that 50 pages in and never looked back.
Well, I got to read that. Fingers crossed it's more like his first trilogy than his second.

ReguIa

@Alucard That trilogy has been in my tbr for a long time because of how good book 1 is supposed to be. Never got around to it due to so many people saying the series goes way downhill later on. If you liked all of it I might just move it to the top of my pile.

rudyjuly2

I loved the first two books of Ravens Shadow. Third book a big disappointment. I’ve yet to find a trilogy on Goodreads where the final book drops in value so much from the first two. It goes from 4.44 to 4.17 to 3.67. The drop in the second book is largely because Vaelyn was the only POV in book one and they went to four in the next book and some hated that change.