It's September 2020: What fantasy book are you reading?

fl1pper

Fought a battle in the name of the old gods
I finished off Gardens of the Moon and I have to say I don't understand the criticism that book receives, 5/5 on Goodreads for me. I too am now on Deadhouse Gates which was my favorite of the first three books when I read them previously.

Hand of Fear

Journeyed there and back again
I finished off Gardens of the Moon and I have to say I don't understand the criticism that book receives, 5/5 on Goodreads for me. I too am now on Deadhouse Gates which was my favorite of the first three books when I read them previously.
I feel the same way one of my favourite Malazan books, wasn’t as keen on the 2nd one. As for me I know it isn’t fantasy, but I’m reading my first Peter F Hamilton book The Reality Dysfuncuntion. Wasn’t sure if I was going to enjoy this but I was looking for a SF book that I could sink my teeth into, he fit the bill perfectly.

Heard comments that he was to wordy or overly descriptive but it doesn’t feel like it in this book, yes the book is a slow burner but I just like the way he writes. Some beautiful images when he describes things, and it doesn’t even feel like a SF book in places.

fl1pper

I feel the same way one of my favourite Malazan books, wasn’t as keen on the 2nd one. As for me I know it isn’t fantasy, but I’m reading my first Peter F Hamilton book The Reality Dysfuncuntion. Wasn’t sure if I was going to enjoy this but I was looking for a SF book that I could sink my teeth into, he fit the bill perfectly.
You are in for a treat if you've just discovered him. The Reality Dysfunction was my first one as well but my favorite is the The Great North Road which is a standalone novel. The commonwealth saga is great as well, and there's loads of them!

kenubrion

Heard comments that he was to wordy or overly descriptive but it doesn’t feel like it in this book, yes the book is a slow burner but I just like the way he writes. Some beautiful images when he describes things, and it doesn’t even feel like a SF book in places.
Hi Hand. You will really like the first duology of Pandora's Star and Judas Unchained, the first two Commonwealth Saga books and the 'where it all started' books. These are also very accessible sci-fi and the main characters continue to appear in all the following books including Reality Dysfunction.

Hand of Fear

Hi Hand. You will really like the first duology of Pandora's Star and Judas Unchained, the first two Commonwealth Saga books and the 'where it all started' books. These are also very accessible sci-fi and the main characters continue to appear in all the following books including Reality Dysfunction.
Thanks Kenubrion, I wasn’t entirely sure where to start with PFH, I ended up with the Reality Dyfsfunction mainly because it sounded like a mix of SF and horror. Will definitely pick up Pandora’s Star soon, and read that pretty soon ?

Have you by any chance read Fallen Dragon by him ?

kenubrion

Thanks Kenubrion, I wasn’t entirely sure where to start with PFH, I ended up with the Reality Dyfsfunction mainly because it sounded like a mix of SF and horror. Will definitely pick up Pandora’s Star soon, and read that pretty soon ?

Have you by any chance read Fallen Dragon by him ?
Yes, it's a great stand alone book, fast read.

fl1pper

Just finished Deadhouse Gates and the last few chapters were as brilliant/sad/frustrating/rage-inducing as the first time I read it. Brilliant book, gets 5/5 on GR from me and would get more if I could do it. Time for a Bauchelain & Korbal Broach comedy interlude, starting with Blood Follows.

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
Just finished Deadhouse Gates and the last few chapters were as brilliant/sad/frustrating/rage-inducing as the first time I read it.
Yup. Felt the same and this time I knew it was coming and somehow that made it harder emotionally :depressed:

Reading MoI now and I'm really enjoying all the dialogues this book has. A lot is being reveals in the conversations. First time reading I was kind of impatient with them, coming off of action-heavy GotM and DG, but now I'm really enjoying it.

fl1pper

Reading MoI now and I'm really enjoying all the dialogues this book has. A lot is being reveals in the conversations. First time reading I was kind of impatient with them, coming off of action-heavy GotM and DG, but now I'm really enjoying it.
Good to hear you're enjoying it. It's weird but I don't remember much about MoI and I 'only' gave it 4/5. Maybe like you said, that was because of the relative lack of action in it. Guess I'll find out later in the week when I get to it.

Finished Blood Follows which is basically an intoduction to B & KB. On to The Lees of Laughter's End.

kenubrion

I checked out Daggerspell, the first book of the Deverry series, after Silvion recommended it to someone else and I haven't been able to put it down. I finished it last night and bought book 2 immediately. It's a wonderful, magic and action filled epic fantasy with characters you feel like you know. I'm so glad it's a four book series, and there are a couple more series after these four books. Great book, thank you Silvion.

Last edited:

Bill Door

Firsthanded the newest Caine adventure
Joe Abercrombie's The Trouble With Peace (age of madness book 2, his sequel trilogy to first law) came today so I'll be starting that tonight.

Alucard

Staff member
Joe Abercrombie's The Trouble With Peace (age of madness book 2, his sequel trilogy to first law) came today so I'll be starting that tonight.
Nice, thanks for letting us know.

I'm still reading MoI and I've come to a realization that the best thing about it is Kruppe :D

fl1pper

Nice, thanks for letting us know.

I'm still reading MoI and I've come to a realization that the best thing about it is Kruppe :D
Kruppe is fantastic but having read the first couple of chapters I've remembered the wonderful Lady Envy stole the show for me the first time round. She's hilarious.

Alucard

Staff member
Kruppe is fantastic but having read the first couple of chapters I've remembered the wonderful Lady Envy stole the show for me the first time round. She's hilarious.
Haha, she scares me. I find myself sympathizing with poor Toc.

fl1pper

Haha, she scares me. I find myself sympathizing with poor Toc.
I don't remember the details but I'm pretty sure the journey they take gets pretty intense :eek:. BTW I agree with you about the dialogue in this book, it's really well written.