J.V. Jones breaks radio silence

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by Davis Ashura, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Davis Ashura

Davis Ashura Got in a fistfight with Dresden

She has a Patreon page and she's back on Twitter. I don't know what hardships she's had to overcome over the past few years, but I'm just glad she's back to doing what she loves. There was a time when her Endlords series competed with aSoIaF for finest epic fantasy currently written, so from a purely selfish POV, this is excellent news.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Elvira

Elvira Became a Faceless Man

I don’t know anything about this author, which books would you recommend by her?

3. Sneaky Burrito

Sneaky Burrito Crazy Cat Lady Staff Member

I've read pretty much everything she has out at this point, which is only like 8 books. Most of them I bought as used paperbacks on Ammy (many were out of print and I think I didn't have a Kindle yet for the first few).

The Barbed Coil is a standalone and is unrelated to the rest of her work.

The Book of Words series is kind of standard coming of age fantasy but is set in the same world as the series she is trying to finish now, A Sword of Shadows. You can find hints of connections between characters in the second series if you have read the first, but it is not necessary to read the first to understand the second. I have no idea if she'll link things up in the end or not. The tone of the two series is somewhat different for me, although that is kind of distant memory at this point and someone who has read the books more recently might disagree.

• Like Like x 2
  4. kenubrion

kenubrion Journeyed there and back again

Great news. I had decided to be happy with book 4 as an ending but obviously would like more. I read the omnibus Book of Words after that and really liked it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Sneaky Burrito

I really thought Raif was boring in book 4. His little sister (forgot her name, it's been so long...Effie?) was more interesting.

6. Davis Ashura

Davis Ashura Got in a fistfight with Dresden

I started out with Book of Words when it was first published, but then I'm old. I liked that series, but as Sneaky mentions, it's a standard coming of age story, but the true stars are the Cardinal/religious figure whose every scene involves him eating. No matter what he's planning or doing, he's eating. How she came up with so many fatty, gross foods and new ways of describing a person shoveling food down their throats is amazing. And hilarious. Then there was Brodger and Grift (I think those were their names), two guards, one young, and the other older. Their conversations which were apropos about nothing always revolved on the best way to woe women, with the old guard offering terrible advice.

A lot of people think Book of Words was basic, but I really enjoyed it. But then she wrote the Endlord series, and her writing, her characterization, and her plotting just became stellar. She wrote grimdark at roughly the same time as Martin, and for a long time, the question was open as to who had the better series. To me, the question is still open.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Sneaky Burrito

The other open question is whether either one of them will ever finish...

However, this recent news has me hopeful she actually might.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Elvira

Elvira Became a Faceless Man

9. fbones24

fbones24 Journeyed there and back again

This is great news! Sword of Shadows is so underrated and if she is back at it, that is simply amazing!

• Like Like x 1