James Enge- Morlock the maker series

Lev Daert

Philosophizes with Kellhus
Can't find it on lists here, so Has anyone read this? is it any good?
or If I have missed its place on any of the lists, point it out to me please.

Haven

Became a Faceless Man
Yes, Morlock series is really good, but in a weird fiction kinda way. It needs a couple(or more) reads for complete understanding. The problem is that the completed trilogy(Blood of Ambrose, This Crooked Way and the Wolf Age) all relate to events that currently happen to Morlock, i.e there is little to no backstory given for any characters,the technology and the magic(which are all in their own way, decidedly weird). The currently ongoing series (Tournament of Shadows) is a prequel series and after having read the first book, all the references in the trilogy make WAY more sense.

Having said all this, the series, both old and new are very well written ( The choir of flames dialogue/concept is one of THE most awesome I have come across in fantasy ever ), and I would highly recommend you to read them all.(Probably better to start with the original trilogy, since the last book in the prequel trilogy may be a while coming yet.)

Be warned though, the books get progressively weirder and weirder and the antagonists may come across as more than a little strange, insane, random or all of the above. :p

Good fun tho.

Which reminds me, I need to go buy Wrath-Bearing Tree. Which is gonna take a while since I have like 3 more books to finish first x_X

Lev Daert

Philosophizes with Kellhus
Ok wow, Thank you.
I was going to ask which one I should read first, but you already answered that. :)
On the buy list it is.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Yes, Morlock series is really good, but in a weird fiction kinda way. It needs a couple(or more) reads for complete understanding. The problem is that the completed trilogy(Blood of Ambrose, This Crooked Way and the Wolf Age) all relate to events that currently happen to Morlock, i.e there is little to no backstory given for any characters,the technology and the magic(which are all in their own way, decidedly weird). The currently ongoing series (Tournament of Shadows) is a prequel series and after having read the first book, all the references in the trilogy make WAY more sense.

Having said all this, the series, both old and new are very well written ( The choir of flames dialogue/concept is one of THE most awesome I have come across in fantasy ever ), and I would highly recommend you to read them all.(Probably better to start with the original trilogy, since the last book in the prequel trilogy may be a while coming yet.)

Be warned though, the books get progressively weirder and weirder and the antagonists may come across as more than a little strange, insane, random or all of the above. :p

Good fun tho.

Which reminds me, I need to go buy Wrath-Bearing Tree. Which is gonna take a while since I have like 3 more books to finish first x_X
I liked the first trilogy, haven't read any of the second. They are a bit odd, but I agree with everything you've said.

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
Be warned though, the books get progressively weirder and weirder and the antagonists may come across as more than a little strange, insane, random or all of the above.
Same. Agree with everything you said. Weird but totally worth it. I would use the reading order supplied by Haven anything to make the references make sense would be helpful. Aside from that! get ready for some head scratching and some chuckling! :D