January 2015: What are you reading?

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member
Happy New Year BFB members. Hope you all partied hard like Ben and I did.

I've just started Fated by Benedict Jacka.

ofer

Journeyed there and back again
Happy new year, everyone!

Kicking 2015 off with the last two books of the Black Company - Water Sleeps and Soldiers Live.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
HNY all ... I partied hard with a nice cup of tea and falling asleep on the sofa ... rock on!

Over halfway through with Skin Game, and starting to enjoy it a bit more, after a bit of a slow start.

Parkour!

Last edited:

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member

I wish for once I could make this thread lol. Alas, my GMT+1 time zone is always a bit too late.
Not reading anything now, but once I get a bit better, in a few days, I'll continue with the books I've chosen for BFB's reading challenge, and open this new year with Neuromancer by William Gibson.

Griffin

Happy new year everyone!! Hope you guys had a blast in any particular way you wanted :)

I'm still going with Consider Phlebas, which come to think of it, I shouldn't really post about it in the fantasy thread. Well...too late :)

Last edited:

J P Ashman

Stood on the wall with Druss
Happy New Year everyone.

I loved Consider Phlebas!

Back to fantasy though, I am reading The Daylight War still. After that, I will be switching to Trinity (Historical Fiction) before looking for my next fantasy fix!

kenubrion

Happy New Year folks. I'm reading sci-fi, Peter Hamilton's extremely great The Abyss of Dreams, and after that I'm going to The Godling Chronicles (back to epic fantasy) on a strong recommendation from someone on the Amazon fantasy forum.

Anyone here read The Godling Chronicles?

Haven

Became a Faceless Man
partied hard like Ben and I did.
Wait was this a separate party or do you both know each other IRL ?

Aaaaanyway, I'm steadily working my way through the Witcher Saga in the (forlorn) hope that I will find enough money and time to buy and play Wild Hunt when it comes out. So far it's been excellent, since I only read the prequel books back when the first game was out and most of the books weren't translated into English. Still, I can't help but feel that the books lose something indefinable in translation, can someone who has read the books in original Polish confirm ?

I recently re-read, after almost 6 years , Tigana and the Fionavar Tapestry, and I still feel that GGK writes some of the best prose around, and reminds me why I like Rothfuss's writing so much. Brilliant series, and I should really read the others.

I also managed to get my hands on, and read an early copy of the Providence of Fire by Brian Staveley. I'm happy to say that it is quite an improvement over the last book(especially wrt to Adare's POVs) but I am still unconvinced that it is a really good book, since some of the plot devices(and characters) seem a bit thrown together. It is plenty engrossing however, I started in the afternoon and finished it the next morning at 6 AM(which is only possible since I'm on holidays)

Anyone here read The Godling Chronicles?
I have(first book), and it's not worth it at all, generic fantasy which blatantly copies a lot of stuff from the novels. Avoid, if at all possible.

J P Ashman

Stood on the wall with Druss
Love all the Malazan Book of the Fallen series. There are some deep philosophical moments, but wow is it epic. It has to be my all time fave fantasy series if I am honest. Would love to see it in series/movie format, although I cannot see how they'd manage it and do it justice.
Enjoy the rest of Toll the Hounds!

Ser Pounce

Happy New Year everybody! As far as reading is concerned, it's been a complete chore to get through The Dragonbone Chair so far. I just haven't been able to get into it. I'm pretty much dragging my feet until Golden Son comes out.

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member
Wait was this a separate party or do you both know each other IRL ?
Ben is Canadian who lives in Thailand at the moment. I live in New Zealand but I decided to visit him in Thailand. :)

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Finished Skin Game, really enjoyed it, the last half of the book was super. Pleased to finally be up to speed with all things Dresden. Learnt a new thing too; parkour!

Going to start Stone of Farewell tomorrow, book 2 of Memory, Sorrow and Thorn.

wakarimasen

I've got an ex library hardback of Changes to read now I've scrubbed my mind out with dan brown and red wine. If I can find it that is... How the hades can you lose a hardback?

Happy new year folks!

jwertz19

Philosophizes with Kellhus
Finishing some non fantasy things right now. Started "The Crystal Shard". I am only a couple chapters in, but I am really struggling with this one. Please tell me it's worth the time.

ReguIa

Hello everyone. I've been checking up on this forum from time to time for reading suggestions for a while. Never registered until now because I just realized that the confirmation email I never received could have ended up in my spam folder..
So anyway, happy new year folks ;)

I'll just jump right in. Finished Firefight by Brandon Sanderson a few days ago and have begun Elantris.

ofer

Welcome, @ReguIa :)

Ben is Canadian who lives in Thailand at the moment. I live in New Zealand but I decided to visit him in Thailand. :)
Parties in the Far East are awsome. A few years back I was backpacking in that area. I went to see Angkor and was at a new year party in Siem Reap (Cambodia, but still close to Thailand). It was unbelievable. The whole main tourist street (Phar Chaa, which is like a small version of the Khao San) there became a giant party.

Last edited:

Derk of Derkholm

We partied so hard that our apartment now needs extensive repairs.
No, seriously, the last surprise that 2014 had in store for us was that the tiles in our living room rose up from the floor with some earthquake-like noises. Pretty awesome. A result of the combination of shoddy workmanship (too little tile glue applied/tiles spaced too close), tensions in the floor and the brutal temperature differences we had been experiencing recently in this - particularly hard - Kuala Lumpur winter (only 23 degrees centigrade instead of 28 as usual :)

Other than that, I have just thoroughly enjoyed "The Martian" - wonderful book, funny, nerdy, with just the right amount of suspense.

Happy 2015 everybody!!!

Best regards,
Andy