January 2015: What are you reading?

João Ribeiro

Journeyed there and back again
Started Half a King yesterday. YA it may be but Abercrombie sure likes his crippled characters. I'm hoping Yarvin turns out to be as great a character as Glotka was.

ReguIa

I'm almost done with The Martian, just 100 pages to go... And it is awesome! After that I'm thinking about mixing up my reading order a bit. I started Warbreaker, got as far as 60 pages but it just didn't pull me in. I'm thinking about skipping it for the time being and jumping back into the Mistborn world with The Alloy of Law. Read Stormlight after that and then later, when I'm in the mood for a ''new'' world, get started on Warbreaker again. I'd just like to know if this reading order would spoil any surprises for me in any of the books. Or should I read them in publication order?

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm almost done with The Martian, just 100 pages to go... And it is awesome! After that I'm thinking about mixing up my reading order a bit. I started Warbreaker, got as far as 60 pages but it just didn't pull me in. I'm thinking about skipping it for the time being and jumping back into the Mistborn world with The Alloy of Law. Read Stormlight after that and then later, when I'm in the mood for a ''new'' world, get started on Warbreaker again. I'd just like to know if this reading order would spoil any surprises for me in any of the books. Or should I read them in publication order?
I don't think it really matters when you read Warbreaker - it can be treated as a standalone. What are you going to read when you've finished with Sanderson's back catalogue?

kenubrion

Hi Regula. I love Sanderson but I had the same experience as you with both Warbreaker and Elantris, just too slow to start and I gave up. I wish someone would comment on these, as to whether that's a common reaction but then it really gets going or something. They are the only Sanderson works I have had that problem with.

Sir Arthur

I'm about 300 pages into Glen Cooks Tyranny of the Night, book one of The Instrumentalities of the Night. I'm starting to really like it. It took at least 100 pages for me to get a vague idea of what the hell was going on. It's not a light read, my pages per night are way down, but it seems like it'll be worth the effort. Lots of political and religious maneuvering . It's been hard to follow at times, but I'm starting to get it.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
I'm about 300 pages into Glen Cooks Tyranny of the Night, book one of The Instrumentalities of the Night. I'm starting to really like it. It took at least 100 pages for me to get a vague idea of what the hell was going on. It's not a light read, my pages per night are way down, but it seems like it'll be worth the effort. Lots of political and religious maneuvering . It's been hard to follow at times, but I'm starting to get it.
I love that series. I need to get started on book 4.

Meanwhile, I'm reading more Cook: Garrett PI #14 (Wicked Bronze Ambition, I think). Then I will have to find something else.

ReguIa

What are you going to read when you've finished with Sanderson's back catalogue?
I think I'd like to read some sci-fi after all the fantasy again. So probably get started on Leviathan Wakes again. I want to read the series before the TV show comes out.
After that back to some fantasy with the Lightbringer series by Brent Weeks. I've heard great things about it and it sounds interesting. Ready Player One next, just a short break this time because Lightbringer isn't that long. Then I want to jump into the Gentleman Bastard series.
Beyond that I have no idea. I want to start Robin Hobb so badly, but I'm postponing it because she's written so much. Thanks to ofer's advice I'm waiting with Hyperion as well. Kingkiller Chronicle is going to be a while too.
I could use some advice on other stand alone's. In case I'm not in the mood for a new series right after I finish one, I want to have a stack of ''easy reads'' :p So far that stack only consist of Neil Gaiman's American Gods and Stardust.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Finished Garrett, PI #14 (Wicked Bronze Ambition). Well, that was different for this series. Actually rather emotional at the end. In a way that reminds me of this:

Haven

Became a Faceless Man
I wish someone would comment on these, as to whether that's a common reaction but then it really gets going or something.
Elantris I gave up somewhere in the middle because it was just too boring and the magic system was mostly meh. Also, (and I've said this before) Sanderson for all his excellence, just does not write good romance(IMHO), even in the Stormlight Cycle.

Warbreaker though, was pretty damn good...even if the magic system didn't make any technical sense whatsoever. I will definitely grab the sequel if and when it comes out.

Also if you've read Warbreaker before..the Words of Radiance ending takes on a whole new level of special :p

ReguIa

Started The Alloy of Law. With 332 pages it's only half the usual mistborn goodness :( Good thing there are 2 mistborn serquels coming late this year.

What. Darn it Haven! now I need to read it before Stormlight after all :mad: New reading order.
- The Alloy of Law
- Warbreaker
- The Way of Kings

Last edited:

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Oh F-word. I can't handle that level of feels!
It might not've been that extreme in terms of my reaction. But it was the first thing I thought of.

ETA: I figured at least one person here -- and probably several -- would get the reference. I'm glad I'm right! Seriously the saddest episode of a cartoon of all time, though.

Last edited:

Haven

Became a Faceless Man
now I need to read it before Stormlight
Actually it is probably better to read Stormlight last. Since all his novels are based in the Cosmere, there are plenty of references(and much,much more) of his other works in the two books.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wasn't going to, but ended up starting Tricked, Iron Druid Chronicles #4. Was hoping to drag this series out cos I'm enjoying it so much, but caved in. I've got no will power!

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Wasn't going to, but ended up starting Tricked, Iron Druid Chronicles #4. Was hoping to drag this series out cos I'm enjoying it so much, but caved in. I've got no will power!
You've been talking that series up so much I'm thinking of trying it. But I have like actual work to do at work today.

I started The Revolution Trade by Charles Stross yesterday. Not far enough into it to have much to say about it.