January 2015: What are you reading?

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
You've been talking that series up so much I'm thinking of trying it. But I have like actual work to do at work today.
Would love someone else on here to try these books. There's a lot of love for them over on our twitter feed. Can't imagine anyone who liked Dresden wouldn't like these!

kenubrion

Journeyed there and back again
Elantris I gave up somewhere in the middle because it was just too boring and the magic system was mostly meh. Also, (and I've said this before) Sanderson for all his excellence, just does not write good romance(IMHO), even in the Stormlight Cycle.

Warbreaker though, was pretty damn good...even if the magic system didn't make any technical sense whatsoever. I will definitely grab the sequel if and when it comes out.

Also if you've read Warbreaker before..the Words of Radiance ending takes on a whole new level of special :p
Thank you very much, Haven. That helps a lot.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Would love someone else on here to try these books. There's a lot of love for them over on our twitter feed. Can't imagine anyone who liked Dresden wouldn't like these!
I'm about 15% into the first one. I'm not hooked yet, but I'll give it some time. (I was also fairly critical of Dresden early on -- impossible anatomical descriptions and an early obsession with cheerleaders and such.)

I do hope the author works on showing more and telling less. He is dumping so much background information that the exciting bit in the beginning (what's-his-name getting attacked by, and subsequently quickly kicking the asses of, five fae in the street) kind of gets lost in the shuffle. It's also like he's trying a little too hard to be just like Jim Butcher. Except with a male Mary Sue (Gary Stu? I think that's what they get called), which Dresden most certainly wasn't.

Still, I realize I'm not that far along. I'm willing to try at least 2-3 complete books before writing off a series. (So, what, I'll have made a decision by next week sometime?)

sopranosfan

I planed it for Feb because of your ravings lol I have an audiobook.
He talked me into an audiobook version too. BTW to you guys that listen to audiobooks and have a CD player that plays MP3 discs or rips them and stores them on an MP3 player I recommend checking out the the MP3 CD versions. I have picked up Some of these lately for $7-15 on Amazon for unabridged books. Including the first 4-5 Dresdens, The Martian, Wool, and I think a couple more. The problem is they are hard to find on there, I tend to see them under other formats and once you click on one more tend to show up. But they will only play on computers and some CD players.

jwertz19

Philosophizes with Kellhus
I usually don't read a series straight through. I will read the first novel in a series, then I will read a stand alone in another genre. Doing this usually keeps my mind fresh, and gives me a sense of anticipation when starting the next book in a series. I don't think I will be using this method after finishing Mistborn. For the first time in a long time I will be reading a fantasy series uninterrupted. How in the world I haven't read these books before is a mystery.

Haven

Became a Faceless Man
Would love someone else on here to try these books
I have religiously read every book written by Kevin Hearne mainly because it's good fun, light-hearted and still somehow he manages to drive a pretty action-packed, grim story. Also, the food descriptions are guaranteed to make you want to grab a snack in the middle(And in my case, make me sad that my fridge is usually empty T_T ).

However, I will say that the later books are a tad boring and unnecessarily(for me) mushy. Still he seems to have a solid idea of where his series is going and I'll continue to get his books just to see how he wraps up the ending.

ofer

Finished both Way of Kings and Words of radiance. Really liked the first book - epic fantasy as it should be, with armageddon around the corner, war, assasinations, politics, heroes, and the works. Sure, it's a bit traditional, but as long as the story and the writing is good, I don't mind too much.

Also liked Words of Radiance but less then the first book. Pace was slower at the beggining - it took nearly 400 pages for the story to start rolling. Also, unlike the first book, there were a few of what I call wtf moments - a few places that when I was reading a scene or a dialogue, I was wondering to myself "what the hell did Sanderson think when he wrote this? How, in any way, is this not really stupid?". Also, I was getting a bit spren-weary towards the end.

But despite its severeal flaws, it was still a good read, especially from the second half of the book. I guess I'll continue with this when the next one will be published. 8000 pages to go but it's almost a certainty that this series will be finished before ASoIaF.

sopranosfan

But despite its severeal flaws, it was still a good read, especially from the second half of the book. I guess I'll continue with this when the next one will be published. 8000 pages to go but it's almost a certainty that this series will be finished before ASoIaF.
Sanderson will complete Stormlight, the second Mistborn trilogy, Reckoners series, a dozen short stories/novellas and an unnamed series before GRRM will finish ASOIAF!

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
He is dumping so much background information
There's a lot of info dump early on, but it gets better. You'll be glad to hear he doesn't feel the need to constantly remind the reader of his life history or how his house looks at the beginning of each book (Dresden!)

trying a little too hard to be just like Jim Butcher
There are A LOT of similarities to Dresden! In some ways I think Hearne does things better (I prefer Atticus to Dresden as a character for example - he has less morals!). I think there is a lot more humour in Hearne's writing too ... some of the things Oberon comes out with are hysterical!

I have religiously read every book written by Kevin Hearne mainly because it's good fun
Agree entirely - they're just easy reads with a great set of characters, interesting use of mythology and a lot of humour.

I will say that the later books are a tad boring
Whilst I'm still ploughing through Tricked (book #4) and enjoying the ride, it's not 'clicking' with me to quite the same extent as the first 3 books did, certainly the first 2. Time will tell with the rest of the series ..

Derk of Derkholm

You'll be glad to hear he doesn't feel the need to constantly remind the reader of his life history or how his house looks at the beginning of each book (Dresden!)
Isn't that the Jim Butcher school of writing, that is visible both in Furies of Calderon and in the Dresden files? Possibly inspired by early Robert Jordan?

From the moment he decides to write a new book in the series, he can push the "copy recurring info from series" macro button on his word processor to have 20 % of the content filled in automatically :D

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
He talked me into an audiobook version too. BTW to you guys that listen to audiobooks and have a CD player that plays MP3 discs or rips them and stores them on an MP3 player I recommend checking out the the MP3 CD versions. I have picked up Some of these lately for $7-15 on Amazon for unabridged books. Including the first 4-5 Dresdens, The Martian, Wool, and I think a couple more. The problem is they are hard to find on there, I tend to see them under other formats and once you click on one more tend to show up. But they will only play on computers and some CD players.
Well I've caved in, didn't wait for February and since the book has been sitting on my iphone for a while I thought why the wait anyway. I usually listen to my audiobooks by logging into my audible app. I dont use any cds because the delivery charges from amazon would kill me. I stick with audible files.
But this month I bought one of these on ebay, and now I'm just waiting for delivery. This thing plays any format imaginable including FLAC and audible files. Plus it can read 16GB micro card so it's not like you can run out of space. And I got tired of carrying the damn iphone when I'm doing stuff as it's really heavy and keeps falling out of my pockets.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005FVNGRI/ref=twister_B005K9VZJG?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

But speaking of Hounded, I'm a third way in and it's really fun. I think I'll finish the audiobook tomorrow. The narrator is doing a great job. I like the humor. The MC is a bit of a sarcastic ass which I always appreciate in my characters :D After the initial fight with the fay quintuplets, it slowed down a bit but I enjoy hearing about Irish gods and goddesses. I don't know much about them. I also enjoy hearing about seelie and unseelie courts but I know a hell of lot about them, so I enjoy comparing Hearne's idea of them to a more traditional mythologically based account.

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
Whilst I'm still ploughing through Tricked (book #4) and enjoying the ride, it's not 'clicking' with me to quite the same extent as the first 3 books did, certainly the first 2. Time will tell with the rest of the series ..
Maybe you overdosed yourself on Iron Druid....if not, perhaps it's dark clouds ahead....

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Maybe you overdosed yourself on Iron Druid....if not, perhaps it's dark clouds ahead....
Maybe.

I remember feeling the same about Dresden. It started to go downhill for me at around the book 3-5 mark. I don't normally like to read longer series straight through - I normally like to break them up with other books - maybe I'll leave slightly longer before picking up the rest of these ..

João Ribeiro

Just a quarter of the way into Half a King. Boy I sure miss my train rides. The most I get now is before bed reading time.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
The most I get now is before bed reading time.
Me & the Mrs have started going to bed at the same time as the baby (she's still sleeping in our room!). My Mrs watches TV on her ipad, and I read, and as a result I'm getting through way more pages than I usually do (think I'm on my 9th book this year already!). So my before bed reading time is proving invaluable at the mo! :)

Scorpio1990

Has been in the eye of the world
Iron Druid Chronicles are awesome books, surprised some of you guys haven't read them yet! I'm like half way 90% through Gardens of the Moon