January 2015: What are you reading?

Scorpio1990

Has been in the eye of the world

kenubrion

Journeyed there and back again
I quit the Dark Is Rising series after 30% of the third book, The Greenwitch, and started Ancillary Justice. Sort of hard to follow AJ at the beginning, the timeframes change so often.

João Ribeiro

So my before bed reading time is proving invaluable at the mo! :)
I think I'm going to use that time to try and get my old rhythm back.

Iron Druid Chronicles are awesome books, surprised some of you guys haven't read them yet!
You sir are not the first one to have this opinion. I might just be swayed into having a peek at it.

Damn it, I'm never going to sleep again am I?

Ser Pounce

Iron Druids eh? I still have to start the Dresden Files! Plan on reading Storm Front very soon, but I guess that's more relevant for the February thread instead. Sleep? Just get the audio book, play it as you're sleeping and by the time you wake up you'll be able to do a complete book report if you had to! Works like a charm.

ReguIa

(think I'm on my 9th book this year already!)
9th? English isn't my native language so I don't expect to read as fast as others but still. How is that possible.... I feel like that kid in English class who had trouble reading out loud after 10 years :wideyed:

Griffin

About 45% into The Providence of Fire. I had trouble getting into the story the first 80 pages or so, but now I'm really hitting it off. Loving the direction of the story. Adare is slightly better than in the first book, but I still don't really see her as a calculating minister of finance, but more like a not too bright young girl. Kaden is quite good, one thing is bothering me though
his blindsightedness concerning Csesstriim (or however it's written) and the girl. It kind of bothers me, especially when he's in his vaniate state (less emotions) and still doesn't see how he is being manipulated.
The writing is stronger than in his previous book, very good evolution there.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
9th? English isn't my native language so I don't expect to read as fast as others but still. How is that possible.... I feel like that kid in English class who had trouble reading out loud after 10 years :wideyed:
I think I've already finished 10 and am on #11 and #12 (I have one Kindle book and one paper book going at the same time, generally). But I have a LOT of free time at work. Also, I've always been a fairly fast reader and I'm a native English speaker.

Edit. Scratch that. I've finished 12 and am on #13 and #14. I just can't count.

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
Right, I have 3 hours 45 min left in my Haunded audiobook. It's Saturday morning, and I'm gonna go do my chores and finish this thing. I'm half way through it and so far it's looking as a 7/10, which means according to my rating system: Good book. Probably above average, but it has its flaws. Maybe it doesn't make me think much. It's not challenging, but it's a lot of fun.

Last edited:

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Right, I have 3 hours 45 min left in my Haunded audiobook. It's Saturday morning, and I'm gonna go do my chores and finish this thing. I'm half way through it and so far it's looking as a 7/10, which means according to my rating system: Good book. Probably above average, but it has its flaws. Maybe it doesn't make me think much. It's not challenging, but it's a lot of fun.
In the audio book does the narrator do Oberon in that kind of voice you do when you speak to dogs? Because that's how it sounds when I'm reading it.

Scorpio1990

Alucard

Staff member
In the audio book does the narrator do Oberon in that kind of voice you do when you speak to dogs? Because that's how it sounds when I'm reading it.
Oberon to me sounds like a cartoon version of how an Irish wolfhound would sound. Which I thought was nice since he often says such outlandish things :) In general I think the narrator did a commendable job seeing there are many female characters including a Polish and Indian witch, who's accents while terrible stereotypical were in my view a nice try to do a female voice with a foreign accent.
I finished the book btw, and you were right, it was really fun. I think I will continue the series with audiobooks but at the same time I'm not in any hurry.
Speaking of finishing things, should be done with Wilmurin tonight as well.

Scorpio1990

Oberon to me sounds like a cartoon version of how an Irish wolfhound would sound. Which I thought was nice since he often says such outlandish things :) In general I think the narrator did a commendable job seeing there are many female characters including a Polish and Indian witch, who's accents while terrible stereotypical were in my view a nice try to do a female voice with a foreign accent.
I finished the book btw, and you were right, it was really fun. I think I will continue the series with audiobooks but at the same time I'm not in any hurry.
Speaking of finishing things, should be done with Wilmurin tonight as well.
Can't remember the last time I listened to an audio book, has to be the right narrator to enjoy it no matter how good the story is. Hope Wilmurin wasn't too terrible ;)

Alucard

Staff member
Can't remember the last time I listened to an audio book, has to be the right narrator to enjoy it no matter how good the story is. Hope Wilmurin wasn't too terrible ;)
You should try out some. Audible offers samples on their page.
It wasn't terrible. I finished it and I'll write a review for you tomorrow as I'm too tired now. There were definitely things that were kinda weird but overall the story is very imaginative. But more tomorrow.
I'll link the review in the February thread most probably.

Derk of Derkholm

OK, Tom has done it. I give in.

Have finally requested the reading sample of "Hounded" on my kindle...

Best regards,
Andy