January 2015: What are you reading?

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Made a decent dent in Stone of Farewell this morning. I know I said it before when I was reading The Dragonbone Chair a few months back, but it's quite refreshing to read some proper old school farmboy with a sword fantasy again.

Haven

Became a Faceless Man
I'm currently working my way through Rob J. Hayes(another self published author who has landed a contract) trilogy, The Ties that Bind. So far its been a rip-roaring ride of swearing,coarseness,sex and generally evil characters who nonetheless make for fascinating POVs. Somewhere buried among all the mayhem of killing, maiming,torturing and loss of various limbs and plenty of essential body fluids lies a somewhat weak story that is more than made up by our interesting cast of characters and their interactions.

Pretty damn good for indie reading, but this is one of the books where the restraint in language is next to none and some of the deeds done to and by our characters is pretty vile.

Next up after this series is The Galaxy Game by Karen Lord, something which caught my attention last year, and I'm really looking forward to reading it this year.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm currently working my way through Rob J. Hayes(another self published author who has landed a contract) trilogy, The Ties that Bind. So far its been a rip-roaring ride of swearing,coarseness,sex and generally evil characters who nonetheless make for fascinating POVs. Somewhere buried among all the mayhem of killing, maiming,torturing and loss of various limbs and plenty of essential body fluids lies a somewhat weak story that is more than made up by our interesting cast of characters and their interactions.

Pretty damn good for indie reading, but this is one of the books where the restraint in language is next to none and some of the deeds done to and by our characters is pretty vile.

Next up after this series is The Galaxy Game by Karen Lord, something which caught my attention last year, and I'm really looking forward to reading it this year.
Sounds pretty good. Is it a bit Abercrombie-y ??

Haven

Became a Faceless Man
Is it a bit Abercrombie-y
Yes, but Abercrombie has a better gift for words. You see the books are written almost entirely from the perspective of the characters, by which I mean most of the book is in the kind of broken English that you expect savages and uneducated killers to speak, and it shows. The second book(which I'm currently reading) has more POVs and more educated(but still vile) characters and so its not that the author doesn't know how to write characters who can speak the language well.

Overall I think it's unfair to compare Abercrombie to an indie author given his fame, but yes, the writing does unmistakably remind one of Abercrombie, Mark Lawrence and their ilk.

kenubrion

Journeyed there and back again

Thanks for the heads-up on Rob Hayes, Haven. The book description sounds perfect for me. And I just read that he promises both remaining books of this intended trilogy in 2015. It would be great to have another author like Sanderson, who writes fast and apparently with both hands.

ofer

We partied so hard that our apartment now needs extensive repairs.
No, seriously, the last surprise that 2014 had in store for us was that the tiles in our living room rose up from the floor with some earthquake-like noises.
Lol for a moment there I imagined the tiles rising from the floor and floating in mid-air like a scene from the X-files. :wacky:
I blame Pratchett for this. There is actually a similar scene in one of his Discworld books.

J P Ashman

Stood on the wall with Druss
Started "The Crystal Shard". I am only a couple chapters in, but I am really struggling with this one. Please tell me it's worth the time.
I read so many in that series, right up to Gauntlegrym...and then faltered and cannot finish it. I loved all the Drizzt books, but in all honesty, after reading all ten Malazan Book of the Fallen, I find the Drizzt books too predictable and...easy? It'll still hold a special place in my reading history and perhaps I will get back into it one day, but not now. I do hope you end up enjoying it though. It's fun and enjoyable fantasy, it just isn't as deep as I find myself being used to of late.

kenubrion

I read so many in that series, right up to Gauntlegrym...and then faltered and cannot finish it. I loved all the Drizzt books, but in all honesty, after reading all ten Malazan Book of the Fallen, I find the Drizzt books too predictable and...easy? It'll still hold a special place in my reading history and perhaps I will get back into it one day, but not now. I do hope you end up enjoying it though. It's fun and enjoyable fantasy, it just isn't as deep as I find myself being used to of late.
Interesting post, JP. Erikson certainly has raised the bar for me too. And luckily for us readers, for other authors as well. I'm convinced we're in a golden age™ for fantasy now with so many great new authors and books. Tolkein's still tops for me with Erikson tied with him for number one best, but this current spate seems to me to have started with either Jordan or Martin, and the advent of self publishing. Whatever, it's great to be a fan now. The sheer volume of books that Ben has compiled for the huge bestfantasybooks.com main site testifies to that. Folks like Ben are helping grow it even more, obviously.

Sir Arthur

Started The Golden Fool. I have no doubt I'll enjoy it.

The Martian was awesome!! One of the best book I read this year. I wonder if Weir will be a one hit wonder, or if he can come with another brilliant story? I guess we can expect a movie. I have mixed emotions about that.

kenubrion

Started The Golden Fool. I have no doubt I'll enjoy it.

The Martian was awesome!! One of the best book I read this year. I wonder if Weir will be a one hit wonder, or if he can come with another brilliant story? I guess we can expect a movie. I have mixed emotions about that.
Filming is either underway or done by now. Huge big name cast. Matt Damon stars.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Filming is either underway or done by now. Huge big name cast. Matt Damon stars.
As long as it's done well, then I'm not too fussed about a film adaptation. For once I'll be able to smugly say "well I read the book AGES ago and it's SO much better than the film" :)

jwertz19

Philosophizes with Kellhus
I am starting to enjoy it. I suppose I just needed to get past the first hundred pages or so. I was also trying to read another novel at the same time, so perhaps I wasn't giving it the attention it deserved. Done with the other book so I should be able to buckle down and concentrate on Drizzt and company.

Derk of Derkholm

Have started "Ancillary Justice" and like it quite a bit.

Movie version of "The Martian" - yes, I can see that, however, Matt Damon does not strike me as a very inventive/humorous character, if he plays the lead.

OK, have just checked out the IMDB entry: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3659388/?ref_=nv_sr_1

What is even more of a surprise for me is that Chiwetel Ejiofor (hero of "12 Years a Slave") gets to play Venkat Kapoor. Definitely not how I pictured him when I was reading the book....

Best regards,
Andy

Last edited:

Jakyro

Hello everyone.
I'm new here but I have been checking up on the forum for some time now and finally registered last week. I thought this would be a good thread to start with as a first post :). I have started reading (a lot) again two years ago thanks to my girlfriend. I especially read crime then but I started with ASOIAF a couple of months back and this really rekindled me again with reading Fantasy (which I haven't read anymore since my childhood). As I still had a large pile of books TBR I didn't finish all the books yet of ASOIAF (I also read some other books do decrease my pile), but I can already say I'm loving it so far and I'm planning on reading more fantasy in the future. I already got myself both books in the Kingkiller Chronicle series when I was in London a couple of weeks back.

Currently I'm reading "Trofee" from Steffen Jacobsson ("Trophy" in English) and I should finish it one of the next days. Not sure yet what I'll be reading next. I'd love to start with "A Feast For Crows", but I still have a large pile of other books TBR and it only grew with the holiday period. I also understood AFFC isn't the best book in the series, but I'm still really looking forward to it. Even if it doesn't forward the plot that much, I still think it will be a good read. And I still have ADWD afterwards

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hello everyone.
I'm new here but I have been checking up on the forum for some time now and finally registered last week. I thought this would be a good thread to start with as a first post :). I have started reading (a lot) again two years ago thanks to my girlfriend. I especially read crime then but I started with ASOIAF a couple of months back and this really rekindled me again with reading Fantasy (which I haven't read anymore since my childhood). As I still had a large pile of books TBR I didn't finish all the books yet of ASOIAF (I also read some other books do decrease my pile), but I can already say I'm loving it so far and I'm planning on reading more fantasy in the future. I already got myself both books in the Kingkiller Chronicle series when I was in London a couple of weeks back.

Currently I'm reading "Trofee" from Steffen Jacobsson ("Trophy" in English) and I should finish it one of the next days. Not sure yet what I'll be reading next. I'd love to start with "A Feast For Crows", but I still have a large pile of other books TBR and it only grew with the holiday period. I also understood AFFC isn't the best book in the series, but I'm still really looking forward to it. Even if it doesn't forward the plot that much, I still think it will be a good read. And I still have ADWD afterwards
Welcome on board :) Sounds as though you've got a lot to look forward too!