January 2015: What are you reading?

Griffin

Journeyed there and back again
I started last year, I should finish it off this year though depending on how many breaks I have betweet books.
This will be my fourth year trying to finish everything Malazan. Started back in 2012 reading GoTM and DG. I didn't really get into it all that much, so I've waited a bit and after reading that MoI was a great step-up from the previous two it finally clicked and then I read MoI, HoC, MT and TBH (and NoK) back-to-back. Then I started to try several new authors and, generally, broadened my horizons. Last year I continued with RG, TtH (and RotCG, SW, OST). So I hope I'll finally get around to reading DoD & TCG (+ BaB, Assail) this year.

I love the books tremendously, but I just want to read way too many books from lots of different authors and that's starting to interfere with being able to finish/continue series I've already started.

On topic: Only 100 pages to go with Consider Phlebas, I like the parts that reflect on the Culture and other civilizations a lot, the story itself is fairly straight-forward. I'm curious about the ending.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Working my way through all the Kindle specials I ordered, so I am starting Promise of Blood by Brian McClellan. Still have a good half dozen books left after this before I have to start fishing around for new books to read at work. (Will probably continue Garrett, PI at that point.)

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
How are you liking it so far?
Story is interesting enough. There's something about the writing style I don't care for -- maybe the way topics/people/etc. are introduced? Hopefully I'll get into the flow of things as I get farther into it.

Griffin

I had to get used to that also. The writing is like a combination between Sanderson and clinical abruptness. A bit like there was an overenthousiastic editor who cut out every other sentence.

atheling

A Poet of the Khaiem
@epicfantasyfreak
I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it. I wonder how will I react, seeing that Sneaky doesn't remember much other then general impression.
I might borrow it, too. Been thinking about reading it. If I do before too many moons have passed, I'll comment. Maybe you'll beat me, to it, though; I think I'm slower with the novels than a lot of folks here.

jwertz19

Philosophizes with Kellhus
Working my way through all the Kindle specials I ordered, so I am starting Promise of Blood by Brian McClellan. Still have a good half dozen books left after this before I have to start fishing around for new books to read at work. (Will probably continue Garrett, PI at that point.)
I bought Promise of Blood a few weeks ago. Haven't got around to it yet. Would love to get your opinion on it before I dive in.

jwertz19

Philosophizes with Kellhus
I'm about 2/3 of the way through The Crystal Shard, and I'm loving it. It started off slow, but I am having a blast with this book. Will probably read The Martian before starting the next book in the series.

Derk of Derkholm

New year is starting with lots of Science Fiction for me. After the Martian, I very much enjoyed "Ancillary Justice", so that I am now on to "Ancillary Sword".

The idea of ancillaries intrigues me, and the books are well written and suspenseful.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Started reading Stardust by Neil Gaiman during my commute. Absolutely loving it so far, mainly due to the sublime prose. Gaiman is such a great author!

wakarimasen

she's going on my "never again" list of authors
Not to focus on the negative - but I'm kind of curious as to who is on that list... another thread mayhap?

Just finished Changes. That was a cracker, so much so that I'm going to indulge in some delayed gratification and wait a book or two before I read the next one, let the cliff hanger really dangle out there. I'm tempted by all this talk of the Martian but I have a C.P.Sansom book from my stocking I feel obliged to read first (really going to have to put a list out there next year).

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Only read two of his books Neverwhere (which I enjoyed) and American Gods (which I didn't like that much).
I also enjoyed Neverwhere; American Gods less so. Stardust (so far) shares more similarities with Neverwhere, although it's quite different from them both.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Not to focus on the negative - but I'm kind of curious as to who is on that list... another thread mayhap?
That would make a good thread. I'll start one!