January 2015: What are you reading?

moonspawn

Journeyed there and back again
Story is interesting enough. There's something about the writing style I don't care for -- maybe the way topics/people/etc. are introduced? Hopefully I'll get into the flow of things as I get farther into it.
It was only a year ago I read that book and I can remember almost nothing from it.

I had to get used to that also. The writing is like a combination between Sanderson and clinical abruptness. A bit like there was an overenthousiastic editor who cut out every other sentence.
That's an interesting way to describe his style. Now I understand why I disliked it so much.

SparklingLu

Philosophizes with Kellhus
Happy new year! Currently i'm reading Elantris and The Dwarves (still the first book. It's not that i don't like it but... Mmhh.. :/ )

ReguIa

I'm about 1/4 into Elantris. When I first noticed Sanderson all I heard where ''Mistborn'' and ''Stormlight'' and not much at all about Elantris besides that it was his first published novel. I've read some of the synopsis for Warbreaker and I'm really excited for that one. I just never got interested in Elantris. After the Mistborn Trilogy however I decided to read his books in publication order (cosmere stories) so that I could work my way up to The Way of Kings. Which sounds frikkin amazing btw:D
Anyway I didn't expect this one to be so good. I enjoyed Steelheart and Firefight for what they are. But I kind of see them as short stories compared to his other works. I really missed the scope and depth that Mistborn had. Reckoners is a fun read and better than a lot of stuff out there. But it's still YA and I just now noticed that I really missed reading a story such as this.

ofer

Finished the last two books of the Black Company. Liked them both, especially Water Sleeps which I felt was closer in spirit to the first books of the series more then the other Glittering Stone books were. Oh well, that's one new year resolution which I've kept.
Onwards to The Martian.

Derk of Derkholm

Have finished "Ancillary Sword", it was not bad, but IMO not as good as "Ancillary Justice", although the first half of the second book actually promised to be better than the first. I just was not that overwhelmed by the end.

In a Goodreads "Fantasy and Science Fiction" Group, there is the decision to read "The Hobbit" in January as the Fantasy book. Given that I just made use of the special price to buy the Hobbit e-book and that it has been a very long time since I read the book (about 30 years ago), I found that this is a very splendid idea ... so I have my next book.

"The Hobbit" it is.

Best regards,
Andy

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member
Man, end of Dec/Jan has been good to me, since I have been on holiday.
Have read: Red Rising by Pierce Brown (amazing, go and read it), Fated and Cursed by Benedict Jacka and almost finished Firefight by Brandon Sanderson.

Think I will read Golden Sun by Pierce Brown, next.

Haven

Became a Faceless Man
Firefight by Brandon Sanderson.
For some reason I didn't like this book...I know its YA and its supposed to be more fun, but its now lost something that made the first book engrossing.

Also, the one thing Sanderson cannot do is write good romance.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Finished Stardust by Neil Gaiman. Definitely my favourite Gaiman book of the three I've read, such a nice and well written story. One of the better standalone fantasy books I've read. It's basically a fairly tale for adults. Would recommend to all.

Laurentius

Super Moderator
Staff member
Finished Stardust by Neil Gaiman. Definitely my favourite Gaiman book of the three I've read, such a nice and well written story. One of the better standalone fantasy books I've read. It's basically a fairly tale for adults. Would recommend to all.
Now you gotta watch the movie aswell. Neil himself was involved with the movie and it is just as good if not better suited to the big screen. Who doesnt love babbeling candles or swashbuckling adventures?

Boreas

Staff member
Did you read it with the Charles Vess illustrations? It really enhances the experience. I liked the movie a lot, too.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Now you gotta watch the movie aswell. Neil himself was involved with the movie and it is just as good if not better suited to the big screen. Who doesnt love babbeling candles or swashbuckling adventures?
I had no idea there was a film. Thanks - will look out for it :)