January 2015: What are you reading?

Axcellence

A farm boy with a sword
Just finished firefight by brandon Sanderson for his reckoner series. Very Popcorn - easy and fast book. Not a lot of substance, just good fast writing.

Hand of Fear

Journeyed there and back again
Finally finished Toll the Hounds I enjoyed it but it was a beast of a book to get through a bit to much self reflection I it for me though.

Needed a lighter book to read after that, so have made a start on Part 2 of book 1 of The Way of Kings.

fbones24

I'm about to finish "The Perpetual Train" by China Mieville. ONce that's done, I'm back to Iron Council. :p:D

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
Blazing through The Martian and boy is it great. I consider myself a slow reader and 200 pages (half way already) in 2 days is quite an accomplishment for me. I usually log in 30-40 pages and I don't read every day. With this book though, I don't even have to try. The "pages" on kindle are flying by themselves. It's so suspenseful and entertaining. Main character is fantastic, I can't help but root for him. It's a weird feeling but he feels like a real person. Best kind of character development I can hope for and in a sci-fi book no less.
@wakarimasen where your book at buddy? It's quite a show.

sopranosfan

I just finished the Desert Spear and while I still haven't read as much as most of you guys I now put this series up there with ASOIAF, Malazan, and Stormlight. I didn't like any of the sex scenes, especially the incestious rape scenes, but because it's audio I can skip them. I love the fact that he has made 2 enemies that are so likable. Even though they are enemies I find myself pulling for both of them.

I am still reading Reapers Gale and am about 75-80% and will probably finish in the next week or so. I really like it and would probably put it near the middle of the series so far. I also started listening to Fool Moon today.

Last edited:

Laughing Mime

Mixes poisons and sharpens knives with Kylar
Just finished Lev Grossman's Magician's Land.

Wow! I'm trying to find the right words to describe it because i inhale most books and this series has stopped me in my tracks. I've read maybe 90% of the best fantasy list, many other less known series and this was top three for me.

The writing is great, the characters real enough that when bad thing happen to them i feel it. The female characters are done well, and not in a 'make them just like the men'. The action is realistic for a fantasy setting, ad the story is something that will really hit home for anyone who has read fantasy literature for escapism.

There is something very nostalgic about it. The setting is magical in a way that will lull you into feeling like you are a child hearing a fairy tail again but then something very real and adult will shock you into re-evaluating the story. Its such a great combination of the two. I read the first two, audio booked the third. The Australian accent in the audio was bad enough that i nearly went out and bought the book.

Next on the list; Plato's The Republic in audio book. I'm hoping it will be easier to get through this way due to all the dialogue.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just finished Lev Grossman's Magician's Land.

Wow! I'm trying to find the right words to describe it because i inhale most books and this series has stopped me in my tracks. I've read maybe 90% of the best fantasy list, many other less known series and this was top three for me.

The writing is great, the characters real enough that when bad thing happen to them i feel it. The female characters are done well, and not in a 'make them just like the men'. The action is realistic for a fantasy setting, ad the story is something that will really hit home for anyone who has read fantasy literature for escapism.

There is something very nostalgic about it. The setting is magical in a way that will lull you into feeling like you are a child hearing a fairy tail again but then something very real and adult will shock you into re-evaluating the story. Its such a great combination of the two. I read the first two, audio booked the third. The Australian accent in the audio was bad enough that i nearly went out and bought the book.

Next on the list; Plato's The Republic in audio book. I'm hoping it will be easier to get through this way due to all the dialogue.
Great write up. Hadn't really considered reading these books, will add to the ever expanding TBR list ..

J P Ashman

Stood on the wall with Druss
Interesting post, JP. Erikson certainly has raised the bar for me too. And luckily for us readers, for other authors as well. I'm convinced we're in a golden age™ for fantasy now with so many great new authors and books. Tolkein's still tops for me with Erikson tied with him for number one best, but this current spate seems to me to have started with either Jordan or Martin, and the advent of self publishing. Whatever, it's great to be a fan now. The sheer volume of books that Ben has compiled for the huge bestfantasybooks.com main site testifies to that. Folks like Ben are helping grow it even more, obviously.
Absofrikkinlutely! It just get better and better...and scarier for those of us who write :-O But it makes us up our game haha... I want to read the other Malazan books outside of that series, but I already have so much lined up. There really isn't enough time in the day.

wakarimasen

It's quite a show.
Aggghhkk.
I'm not even on the sidelines. All the other stuff I ordered arrived the other day but no Martian. Dukes of Hazard T-shirt. Check. Visit Amity Island Jaws T-shirt. Check. Returns deets for broken-by-boxing-day singing Olaf. Check.
The Martian? ... cue tumbleweed...

You go on with out me. I'm done for anyway. Leave me. Save yourself... I'll limp on after if I can.

Griffin

Finished Firefight real quick. The pace was really high, quick chapters, lots of action and basically no character development whatsoever. Fun read, nothing more. Started Golden Son, 1/5th in, and really liking it so far. On par with the quality of the first book, which makes me very happy.

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
Aggghhkk.
I'm not even on the sidelines. All the other stuff I ordered arrived the other day but no Martian. Dukes of Hazard T-shirt. Check. Visit Amity Island Jaws T-shirt. Check. Returns deets for broken-by-boxing-day singing Olaf. Check.
The Martian? ... cue tumbleweed...

You go on with out me. I'm done for anyway. Leave me. Save yourself... I'll limp on after if I can.
I'm really sorry we didn't get to buddy read. With your book being late and me finishing it in 3 days (a record for me for a almost 400 page book!), we never had a chance.
As soon as your book is delivered I recommend you start reading it. I only hope you'll have as much fun with it as I did :)
Also, you have Olaf? And he sings :D And it's broken poor thing? Like this?

Pleased you enjoyed it as much as I did @Alucard =)
Oh I haven't had this much fun reading a book in a while. That Neuromancer put me in a depressing mood. The Martian was just what I needed.

Now I have to decide what to read with Deadhouse Gates.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just started a book my nephew told me about. The Tear and the Blade. Pretty Good. And once more through Silmarillion.
Hi Todd =) Neve heard of The Tear and the Blade Definitely heard of Silmarillion though Never managed to finish that one!