January 2017 - What SF books are you reading?

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Happy New Year!

What SF books are you reading this month?

I'm about to finish Abendau's Legacy by our Jo .. really enjoying this one ... definitely a strong end to the trilogy.

Bierschneeman

Journeyed there and back again
Instead of reposting fantasy response.
Wells or verne.
Likely both.
Either around the world in 80 days, or time machine

Diziet Sma

Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune
Finished Clarke's Rendezvous with Rama and started inmediatly The Last Legend of Earth by Attanasio.
Both fantastically spinning reads for very different reasons.
I think I will need to read some Fantasy afterwards to bring me back to Earth G force.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm almost done with The Exodus Towers, book 2 in the Dire Earth Cycle by Jason Hough. I'm liking this one quite a bit .. like the first book it's kind of Walking Dead mixed with an alien invasion story, but there's more of a focus on the alien invasion in this one. Looking forward to the final book in the series!

Nuomer1

Working my way through Saga of the Exiles (again) but only reading it at bedtime - other stuff on the kindle for during the day, mostly Fantasy.

kenubrion

Finished Clarke's Rendezvous with Rama and started inmediatly The Last Legend of Earth by Attanasio.
Both fantastically spinning reads for very different reasons.
I think I will need to read some Fantasy afterwards to bring me back to Earth G force.
Hi Elvira. After reading the description/plot summary for Last Legend, I really want to read it but should I read the Radix series in order? Have you read the others? I would like to jump right into Last Legends, sounds great.

Kalavan

The last book I’ve read last year was Weir’s The Martian, that I’ve somewhat liked, although, as I’ve already said, it took me a while to get used to Watney’s nerdy voice.
And I’m still wondering if such an interesting premise wouldn’t have worked better with a more traditional MC, after a while Watney started to grow on me, but by the end of the book I was getting a bit tired of his witty remarks and of the repetitiveness of the book’s structure.

After that, I entered in a quite extended reading slump, and I’m just today picking up my first book of the 2017, Corey’s Babylon’s Ashes

Diziet Sma

Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune
Hi Elvira. After reading the description/plot summary for Last Legend, I really want to read it but should I read the Radix series in order? Have you read the others? I would like to jump right into Last Legends, sounds great.
No Ken, you don’t have to read the Radix Series in order. I haven’t read the other 3 books, but I guess I will considering how much I’m enjoying myself. I followed Boreas’ advice and started with The Last Legend of Earth.
Attanasio is a mad genius and this book is a crazy Space Opera with convoluted plot lines and mind expanding stuff. I’m sure you will love it!;)

Bierschneeman

Just finished war of the worlds, reread. Classic.

And the time machine. I found what I believe to be the inspiration of my favorite whovian villain, the weeping angels. It describes a white marble winged statue with worn features and a menacing smile that greatly resembles the angels in doctor who.

Started some Asimov's non fiction about space.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Just finished war of the worlds, reread. Classic.

And the time machine. I found what I believe to be the inspiration of my favorite whovian villain, the weeping angels. It describes a white marble winged statue with worn features and a menacing smile that greatly resembles the angels in doctor who.

Started some Asimov's non fiction about space.
I've read somewhere that War of the Worlds was once broadcast via the radio in England (kinda like an audiobook). Apparently it caused quite a stir with people actually believing earth was attacked by aliens. Very funny.

Bierschneeman

I've read somewhere that War of the Worlds was once broadcast via the radio in England (kinda like an audiobook). Apparently it caused quite a stir with people actually believing earth was attacked by aliens. Very funny.
I've listened to the broadcast in school. It's worth a listen. In the book it's england the radio program was east coast usa.

It wasn't just read it was adapted for radio. The landing on the radio was new jersey and it began with a phony weather report and a discussion if aliens could exist stemming from the discovery of the space bound object. That was then interrupted with news reports of the crash and on site reporting of the events including invasion.

fbones24

After reading Guns of the Dawn by Adrian Tchaikovsky I had to jump into another book by him. Currently reading Children of Time.

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member
Dust by Hugh Howey

Last book in his trilogy. Hoping it ends well but sci-fi always lets me down in this department.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Oh, I actually have something to post in this thread.

Started Annihilation by Jeff Vandermeer today. Actually read something like 3/4 of it this afternoon. It is really quick for me. But I will reserve judgment until the end.

I don't even remember buying this, but I have all three volumes on my Kindle.

Nuomer1

I don't even remember buying this, but I have all three volumes on my Kindle.
I have a similar problem - lost count of the books on the Kindle, can't remember how to get into the memory without plugging into a proper computer.
But it does mean I discover the occasional gem that I bought long ago and never got round to reading (on the other hand, I also discover a lot of **** that goes straight into the 'Crap Bought By Accident" folder)

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just bought Wool following @TomTB's recommendation. He never mentioned anything about a wishy-washy ending...
It's not wishy washy in the slightest .... it's a decent ending to a great series imo. Wool is brilliant though, and you'll know if you want to continue after you finish it in any case ...

Hope you like it :)

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member
Just bought Wool following @TomTB's recommendation. He never mentioned anything about a wishy-washy ending...
Wool is Brilliant, Shift is decent, Dust is decent so far...I do hope it has a good ending.

Bierschneeman

Just finished Asimov's time space and other things... it's OK. Kind of feel I wasted my time. Mostly going over stuff I learned in grade school like the science of solar eclipses. The julian and Gregory an calenders. What e=mc2 means piece by piece. Great anecdotes though. (I'm going to be 13 days younger by switching to the julian calender).

Skimmed Asimov's "adding a dimension" the book, skipping.

Just started mary Shelley's "the last man", starting really good, 1st chapter beautifully describes a man ruined by societies indifference, an orphan with total hatred of all civilization.