Jennifer Fallon

The bard`s song

Will likely be killed by a Lannister soon
This is a Name that often gets mentioned in various recommendation threads - mostly for her Second Sons Trilogy.

As I am always on the hunt for new reading stuff I had a look what is available from her translated to German. It seems all her books have been translated EXCEPT Second Sons.
As far as I understood the Demonchild Trilogy and the Wolfblade Trilogy are connected and should be read together.
The other completed (and translated series) would be the Tide Lords Quartet.

So my questions to everyone having read her work:

Which series would be the better starting Point? Generally speaking I would always tend to start with the "older" work of an author meaning Demonchild Trilogy followed by Wolfblade and Tide Lords somehwere later in case I liked the others.

And to which author could Fallon be compared? Is she writing "Fantasy for women" with lots of romance etc. or just straight traditional stuff like Kate Elliott, J.V. Jones, Robin Hobb etc. that can enjoyed in the same way by male Readers who are used to stuff like ASoIaF, Joe Abercrombie, Daniel Abraham, Tad Williams etc.?

Thanks everybody!

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
I have only ever read the Wolfblade trilogy and a long time ago, at that. I don't think you have to read the earlier series to understand the Wolfblade trilogy, though my understanding is there are some concepts and characters appearing in both.

My memory is hazy but I feel like Jennifer Fallon could fit in with the other group of female authors you suggest (all of whom I've also read) -- Elliott, Jones, and Hobb. I know there was a female POV character for a lot of the Wolfblade series, but not exclusively, and there was court intrigue and so forth, which is not always the province of female characters. (There is a fair amount of focusing on a youngish woman's romantic interests in the early part of the series, as I recall, because of this aforementioned female POV character, but it fits with the story and isn't the sole focus.)

The bard`s song

Thanks a lot! From the Reviews I have seen it seems that Wolfblade is a Prequel to the Demonchild trilogy although written later (and also meant to be read after the Demonchild books).
Based on your list of books and authors you have read 2017 (pretty impressive by the way) it seems we might have quite a similar taste.

I have limited myself to only finished series (and fully translated to German) so I think I will just give her a try.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Based on your list of books and authors you have read 2017 (pretty impressive by the way) it seems we might have quite a similar taste.
I had two surgeries (one oral, one abdominal) that have forced me to curtail my usual workouts and just walk on the treadmill. I read my Kindle while doing that to keep from getting completely bored. So I have read a lot more than usual this year...seems heavy on the YA for some reason, too, and those books are often shorter or easier to get through.

Is there any reason you stick to series fully translated to German? The English in your posts seems decent.

Kalavan

Journeyed there and back again
Too bad about the unavailability of the outstanding Second Sons trilogy in German, that is truly a page-turner of a series: plot twists, long hidden secrets, opposing factions and a fair bit of romance make for an extremely enjoyable fantasy feuilleton. With some interesting characters to boot, at the very least the MC and the quite unusual villainess.

I’ve actually heard mostly lukewarm to negative opinions about the rest of her books, but I’m still interested in giving her another chance, if you’ll actually start one of her other series let me know how it went

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
I’ve actually heard mostly lukewarm to negative opinions about the rest of her books, but I’m still interested in giving her another chance, if you’ll actually start one of her other series let me know how it went
Yeah, and don't let me influence anyone's opinion about the *quality* of her work as it's been far too long since I read it for my opinion of the writing, etc. to be of use. I just remember some really general themes and major characters and such, and that I wasn't confused even though I hadn't read the other series. (On the other hand, I've never felt the pressing need to go looking for more of her work...)

The bard`s song

Thanks for your thoughts. It really seems to be the General Consensus that The Second Sons books are by far her best work.
I think I will try something else for now and may give her a try later.
Instead I have ordered the Rai-Kirah trilogy by Carol Berg.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member