Jo Zebedee has an AMA going

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by Khartun, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Khartun

Khartun Journeyed there and back again

2. jo zebedee

jo zebedee Journeyed there and back again

3. Khartun

Khartun Journeyed there and back again

I didn't notice that you had posted in the Fantasy Authors section but it won't hurt to be in here as well so more people see it.

4. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Journeyed there and back again

@jo zebedee

Hey, I complimented someone else on their plain cover but yours is alluringly beautiful (Waters In The Wild). It's serene yet terrifying at the same time. I like the way you answered questions (your sense of humor). I eventually plan to read one or two books from people here Your new book sounds intriguing. Please elaborate on what you mean by a "dark fairy tale"

I like the way @Khartun promotes the authors here. Instead of tiresomely opinionated cheerleading "Oh, it's so wonderful blah blah blah" we get a chance to explore and then judge for ourselves by learning more about the authors and their books. Kudos!

5. jo zebedee

Thank you. I really love the cover, it just so captures the feel so well. And yay! I sounded like I had a sense of humour!

What I've done in Waters and the Wild is take a modern story and feel and transport it into the Glens of Antrim. The Glens are like a time-lock in some ways. Modern, sure, but the landscape and places are very unchanged. I mean, I was at the Larragh Lodge, where I open the book, about a week ago. It's a restaurant tucked below a famous waterfall - the one on all the postcards from Northern Ireland. It, literally, has not changed at all since I was a child. Same decor, same owners, same chaotic carpark. It's a time capsule. And that time capsule is a fairyland - all green and golden water from the peat bogs, ferns and shadows.

But then there are eerier places. (We were on holiday in the Glens when I came up with the book, so I visited all these places). Like on a bleak hill there is a stone circle called Ossian's Grave, where it is said Ossian fell from his horse and died. That hill is also where they commenorate John Hewitt, who we call the poet of the glens and that combination spoke to me as somewhere very magical.

Given that setting, then, a fairy story was the logical way forwards - but it's not a fairytale, more a modern story that pulls on the fairy legends like portals into worlds, and changelings. Very spooky. I call it a fairy-fuelled road trip and that's probably as close ro the feel as I can go.

(And I second that @Khartun is awesome!)

6. Darth Tater

That sounds really good. I see it won't be out until summer.

7. jo zebedee

End of July but I think it's going on preorder this week. I also have a couple of advanced review slots left if you'd like?

8. Darth Tater

The story and setting sound right up my alley! I see it comes out pretty soon...:cool:

9. Darth Tater

What is an advanced review slot?

10. jo zebedee

Basically I have a number of ebooks I can send out in advance for review purposes (on Amazon or Goodreads - I think it's good to state on the review that the book was given free for an honest review so all is upfront :))

11. Darth Tater

Oh. I see. That's a very nice offer. But

1. I would rather pay you for your work. It doesn't matter but if it is like your other books it will be inexpensive anyhow. AND

2. My gut feeling is that I will really like it. However, while it is probably good but for some reason it may not "float my boat". Since you are a member here I refuse to leave a review of less then 4 out of 5 either here or anywhere else. So I plan to read it but I won't say when. That way, worst case scenario I will just "forget" to review it or that I even read it for that matter.

It sounds Ocean At The End Of The Lane-ish which I really loved. Regardless, I have a good feeling about it and hope to leave an honest glowing review, here and on Amazon!!

12. jo zebedee

I often feel that way about ARCs too. :)

I hope, if you get to it, you enjoy Waters. :)