July 2015. What fantasy books were we reading?

Ser Pounce

Journeyed there and back again
This has probably been answered/mentioned a million times before, but this is a trilogy, right? Or are more books planned ...
Yes, it's a trilogy. Blood Song --- Tower Lord --- Queen of Fire, which was just recently released.

I'm glad you're enjoying the series so far, Alucard!

Last edited:

l3gacy

Dr. Awesomesauce
Staff member
Well after a really long time I have finally updated my signature. I am currently reading House of Chains, 85% through with it on audio. Been slow going on it. Aside from Karsa's parts, this has been my least favorite Malazan book so far. I snuck in the Bauchelain and Korbal Broach trilogy last month. I thought it was interesting. Haven't picked up the last two novellas yet. I was considering a Malazan break as I have only listened to Malazan books all year (egads and I've not even finished the fourth one!) but I recall several people saying Midnight Tides is one of, if not the, best in the series. I only have through midnight tides on my phone, so I might take my break after that and finally listen to Magician's End, the final book of the Riftwar series by Feist.

Also, I was camping last week and picked up the Kindle and got into The Skull Throne. I've got about 40% through it so far. I can appreciate that Brett is trying to deepen the world by adding characters and more POVs but they really seem to not serve any purpose. Arlen is the only character that really matters. Jardir is there as a necessary sidekick but really nobody else's story is really adding anything to the progress of the series. Arlen's the one with the big ideas and Arlen is the true Deliverer. The desert rat backstory with Inevera in the last book and her daughter whogivesashitIforgothername in this book don't do anything for me or progress the story in any meaningful direction or add to the necessary plot lines. At least when Robert Jordan and GRRM hop around to other characters, they serve a purpose and have a point in the large scheme of things, but Rojer and Leesha are the only two that even remotely resemble purposeful characters.

I just started Vibrations by P.E. Padilla. It's just released. Indie author. I'm only on chapter 2 but I appreciated the scientific ties to what seems to be the magic system. And there's a telepathathic creature that retold a section of a scene from its point of view, which was interesting. I'm looking forward to reading more.

Khartun

I just finished Steel, Blood and Fire by Allan Batchelder. 3.5/5

I liked this book but there were some issues. The ebook has some weird formatting. I felt the pacing was a bit erratic and there was some clumsy POV changes, especially toward the front half of the book. It tightened up over the last half. Overall though it was a pretty good story with good characters. One of the better self-pubs that I've read. I'm starting the second book in the series now, As Flies to Wanton Boys.

ROBNOB9X

Killed in the battle against the Mad King
First post here so hi everybody!

I've just devoured the first 2 books in "The Gravedigger Chronicles" by Alan Campbell and have to say they were amazing! Especially The art of hunting which is book 2. I love the science behind the unmer powers. I can't find anything on the web regarding book 3 though and book 2 ended on a massive cliffhanger! Can't recommend this series enough :)

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
First post here so hi everybody!

I've just devoured the first 2 books in "The Gravedigger Chronicles" by Alan Campbell and have to say they were amazing! Especially The art of hunting which is book 2. I love the science behind the unmer powers. I can't find anything on the web regarding book 3 though and book 2 ended on a massive cliffhanger! Can't recommend this series enough :)

Hi welcome to the forum :)

Glad to hear you like Alan Campbell's new series ... I've owned the first book in his Deepgate Codex series for quite a while now but never got round to reading it! Maybe I should bump it up the pecking order!

Sorry not sure when the last book is out.

ROBNOB9X

Killed in the battle against the Mad King
Hi welcome to the forum :)

Glad to hear you like Alan Campbell's new series ... I've owned the first book in his Deepgate Codex series for quite a while now but never got round to reading it! Maybe I should bump it up the pecking order!

Sorry not sure when the last book is out.
Hi Tom, cheers.

I actually just downloaded the first in that series today also. Going to quickly read half a war and then start on the Deepgate Codex series. I definitely recommend "Sea of Ghosts" though. Starts slowly but builds so well and then "The Art of Hunting" is just amazing! o_O

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi Tom, cheers.

I actually just downloaded the first in that series today also. Going to quickly read half a war and then start on the Deepgate Codex series. I definitely recommend "Sea of Ghosts" though. Starts slowly but builds so well and then "The Art of Hunting" is just amazing! o_O

Will get round to it one day I'm sure :) I must say that the cover of Sea of Ghosts (the UK one) is amazing!

Annomander Matt

Drinks Elfbark tea with FitzChivalry
PEBCAK. Problem Exists Between Consumer And Kindle. The books are fine, people are just going into them expecting a completely different story.

The Demon Cycle really isn't about just one thing. The humans vs. demons thing is one aspect of the story, but another is the humans vs. humans aspect. The series has never promised a strict, linear and simplistic story about farm boy

Skull Throne moved the story forward a great deal by showing us how Krasia is slowly becoming more progressive - more than doubling its fighting force by giving suffrage to women and equal opportunity to the children of the lower castes. That's part of the humans vs. humans story, but it also helps move forward the humans vs. demons story - because now there are more armed, trained warriors ready to take on the demons. How is that not relevant to the demon story, as well as the part of the story that's about the politicking of this world of isolated, unco-operative nation-states?

Plus, the whole point of the last couple of books has been that Arlen really isn't the Deliverer! There is no deliverer. There's only titles assigned to or claimed by charismatic, powerful leaders. The whole point of the last few books has been that people are their own deliverers - in Skull Throne we get some PoV from some demon leaders and they make quite clear that while 'Deliverers' are certainly powerful individually, their real power is in unifying everyone else.
This is a great viewpoint on the Demon Cycle.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

afa

Thanks for your thoughts, @lyraseven.

I actually had the same evaluation of Quentin. Not that my simple mind would have known what "cognitive behavioral therapy" is, but the gist of his condition was evident. Simply put, I saw him as someone who would never be happy, because for him the grass is always greener on the other side.

While I certainly appreciate Grossman's approach of having such a 'flawed' protagonist, there wasn't really enough in the book that I liked enough to want to revisit the world.

Aliphera

Listens to The Unbeliever whine about life
Finished Queen of Fire, and I'd rate it 6/10. In my opinion, everyone was moving around too much all over the world and the conclusion felt very rushed. It did, however, answer most of my questions, especially the ones against the Ally and his creatures.

Annomander Matt

Finished Queen of Fire, and I'd rate it 6/10. In my opinion, everyone was moving around too much all over the world and the conclusion felt very rushed. It did, however, answer most of my questions, especially the ones against the Ally and his creatures.
I'm 500 pages in, and while I totally get that things seems to be moving quite rapidly, I like the action taking place. He could have probably added a couple hundred pages, but I love the sense of a major convergence coming. Reminds me a little of Dust of Dreams and the Crippled God in the way all the major players are moving towards each other.

Sir Arthur

Finished Queen of Fire, and I'd rate it 6/10. In my opinion, everyone was moving around too much all over the world
That was one of the things I enjoyed about it. I'm not sure how the ending would feel rushed. I thought it was a slow build up to the end. Three armies traveling across the world to converge in one place. A part of the tale I very much enjoyed.

I'm at 60% into The Sirens of Titan by Kurt Vonnegut. It could be the weirdest book I've ever read, but I'm really enjoying it.

Annomander Matt

No, I just do the math to get the percentage.:cool: Just kidding. I always opt for the ebook version if I can. I'm lucky, the state I live in has a state wide digital library with a great selection of ebooks.
Lol - I was actually going to jest and ask if people just do the math when reading physical books (I'm 89.6% thru Queen of Fire according to my calculator lol) :D

I mixed digital with hard copies when I first got into epic fantasy, but then as my library began to grow I felt saddened that I was missing so many great books on my shelf. I've actually started buying up physical books that I read the digital copies of. Mainly because I wanted to be able to share Malazan with friends and only had the first 3 Erickson books - the others having been purchased on Google play.

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
I read mostly on kindle but funnily enough I update my GR account with page instead of kindle percentage. I prefer that more. Here I state percentage more because I don't assume people know how many pages a book that I'm reading has. So percentage makes it easier to explain myself.

Last edited: