July 2017: What fantasy books are you reading?

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by Andrew.J, Jul 1, 2017.

1. Andrew.J

Andrew.J Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

Woohoo (unsure cheer here, I hope I'm allowed to do this)

I'm currently reading Skin Game (Dresden Files #15). I'm around 70% in and I have a feeling it'll be one of my favourites in the series. The past few books were epic and advanced the meta plot in some significant ways, but they weren't quite the same as many of the books before. Skin Game, to me, feels like a foundation for the new "sequence" in the series, whereas the last two books felt like transitional books from one major chunk of the series to the other + it's a nice throwback to the classic Dresden (with a wonderful cast of characters).

I'm also reading some compulsory Lithuanian fiction on the life of one priest. Some of the things... It reads like fantasy.

What about you? :)

2. kenubrion

kenubrion Journeyed there and back again

Of course you're allowed to start this thread. I did once.

I'm reading Summa Elvetica, A Casuistry of the Elvish Controversy by Vox Day, the first book in his Arts of Dark and Light series. Great epic military fantasy in a world with men, dwarves, elves, orcs, goblins, trolls, lionmen shapechangers, and more. Like LOTR with a Roman Empire twist. Great characters, worldbuilding and almost non-stop action. I'm really pimping this series because it's great and will be a favorite of whoever tries it.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. ReguIa

ReguIa Journeyed there and back again

It's my favorite too, or 2nd favorite on some days.

I'm still on The Eye of the World. Don't have that much time left over for reading right now:(

• Like Like x 1
  4. Silvion Night

Silvion Night Sir Readalot Staff Member

Reading goes ver slowly at the moment. Lots of other stuff to do. I re-commenced the first Science of Discworld book. I'm about 100 pages in.

5. TomTB

TomTB The Master Tweeter Staff Member

Huge reading slump at the moment. Lots going on off piste, so just not finding the time. Hopefully you guys all getting on better than me :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. MorteTorment

MorteTorment Reluctantly made a Warden of the White Council

Are you sure? Stories about soldier really annoy me. And we all know how much world building building in large amounts annoys me. Non stop action can be fun, but not when it's about armies vs armies. Although one person against a dozen or so people can be fun.

I don't think that I'd like it, but I'm always listening, so by all means, tell me more.

I'm sorry that you're having a hard time getting into what you're reading friend. Hope that things get better. That said, what does off piste mean?

Anyways, hope you don't mind, I'm gonna save a post and combine this month and last month since I only read one book last month.

Ok, so I was reading InCryptid Book 1: Discount Armageddon. It's a quite funny urban fantasy novel where the main is amazing in the sense that she combines ballroom dancing and combat. there's this hilarious battle at the end where she combines them both, and it's fucking hilariously amazeballs! It only took me forever to finish it because I didn't have much of a desire to read last month.

For the past three-ish days(which includes today of course) I've been reading Stormgivers Book two: Stormlords Rising Liking it a lot. It's set in the middle east where certain individuals have the power to turn saltwater into fresh water, and call a rainstorm across the land. I hated the first book because it had a bs non ending, but a few days ago I remembered that that really was my only problem with it, as I liked everything else, so I decided to give the second book a chance. Liking it a lot so far, although I do have a minor gripe. I'm 30% in, and I can't tell who the main character is. It's certainly not the same character from the first book.

I'm also kinda mad at myself, I spent last month reading just ono book, and at the begginng of,,,well yesterday now, I was on the the 3rd or 4th day reading Stormlords Rising, and I was only 50 or so pages in, which is pretty bad for me. So I decided that even though I'm no longer timing myself, I'm gonna try to read at least 15% of a book per day when I can, and stop relegating myself to reading to help me get myself to sleep and when I'm multi-tasking. like I have been lately. Wish me luck on this! After all, if I do this, I'll likely finish books in 4-6 days depending on how "just one more chapter" the book is.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
  7. Alucard

Alucard In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge! Staff Member

I've been working a lot lately so I don't have time to read and I'm in a bit of a reading slump. As a result Wizard and Glass has been neglected and I've been indulging in audiobooks, which for me means Sandman Slim series. For all of you who like darker urban fantasy and hell/heaven mythology this is a great pick. It deviates quite a bit and quite creatively from biblical interpretation of heaven/hell/god/angels and such, and I really like it for that reason. Maybe I don't need to mention, but I will anyway, the audiobook versions are top notch.

• Like Like x 1
  8. MorteTorment

Sorry to hear that work has cut into your free time Alucard. Hope it slows down so you can continue to do what you love.

On a side note, I bet that you thought that since I don't time myself anymore that the statistics that I know that at least a couple of you like that I bring up are going way. I'm happy to announce that that's not the case

Ok, here goes...

So far I've read 53% of Watergiver Book 2 for a total of 328 out of 619 pages. Gonna try to get 60% of the book read today so I'll be on schedule.

Also, hoping to earn some bonus points by somehow finishing the book tomorrow. So I can finish a day before the deadline.

9. Andrew.J

I've finished Skin Game (Dresden Files #15) and the whole series for the time being. I've been reading Dresden Files since December last year almost exclusively and what a ride it has been! These are not only some of the most entertaining but also some of the most touching and heart-warming books I've ever read. Some scenes in the series have been unexpectedly powerful and poignant to the point where they kept me from sleeping. I still remember them with great clarity. That, to me, is a mark of a great skill on Butcher‘s part, even if Dresden Files is often regarded as pulpy. The series has for sure secured a place in my list of favourite (and longest!) books and series with Small Favor and Skin Game at the top.

I'm currently reading some Edgar Allan Poe. I think I'll take a short break from fantasy before I dive back in. I was thinking of Beaulieu's Twelve Kings in Sharakhai.

What's your other favourite?
    It looks interesting. I'll keep it mind for when I'm in the mood for something like that. Some of the reviews for the book, though... These are some deeply unhappy commenters. :p

Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
  10. ReguIa

ReguIa Journeyed there and back again

Small Favor;)

Everything with Michael and his family is amazing. That's a big reason why I enjoyed Skin Game so much. And SF and DM.

I feel the same about these books. They're often seen as fast paced action books and not much else, but not many other fictional works has resonated so well with me.
    I still remember staying up late at night to finish Small Favor because come on, the last 100 pages.. At the same time I wanted to put it down because I definitely thought Michael was going to die.
    Other moments in the series like Harry learning the Carpenters took in his daughter is just sooooo good. I've also re-read the part where he meets his daughter a couple of times and everytime I cry, seriously.

I read Cold Days when Skin Game was coming out in a few days, thought I timed it perfectly. Now I've waited more than 3 years for Peace Talks:(

11. rudyjuly2

rudyjuly2 A Poet of the Khaiem

Just read some comments about this author and if that quote is correct, he's unbelievable racist. I won't read anything from people like him.

https://fozmeadows.wordpress.com/2013/06/14/reconciliation-a-response-to-theodore-beale/

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. rudyjuly2

rudyjuly2 A Poet of the Khaiem

I'm over halfway through book 12 of WOT. The writing style is pretty seamless from Jordan to Sanderson for the most part. Lots of good scenes in here. I doubt I would have noticed the different author for most things. I had read people complain about his version of Mat and I may agree. Not sure if I can decide yet but he seems more simple and less complex, almost YA in some scenes. Not terrible but it does feel a bit off. Mat is a character that many in the book mistake for a goof off gambler and womanizer on the surface but is actually much more complex imo.

13. MorteTorment

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. kenubrion

Actually 95% of reviews are either 4 or 5 stars. Same with his other books. He's a vocal conservative and as such infuriates the left.

Oh, and that refers to Amazon reviews, not Goodreads which I don't belong to.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
  15. Ryan W. Mueller

Ryan W. Mueller Ran bridges next to Kaladin

I'm currently about 80% through The Iron Circlet by Phil Tucker. It's the fourth book of his Chronicles of the Black Gate series. It's one of my favorite series I've ever read. I love the way Tucker makes you care about his characters. His battle scenes are also some of my favorites, and he writes a lot of them.

• Like Like x 1
  16. kenubrion

I'm also reading Guns of the Dawn by Adrian Tchaikovsky. Quite an impressive author. My first by him.

17. Andrew.J

Carpenters and the Denarians. I'm always pleasantly surprised whenever the order shows up. It's lots of fun rooting against them. I didn't like Death Masks that much, though (by Dresden standards that is). I'm a bit rusty on the details because I didn't jot down anything when reading it, but the two main plotlines of the book felt disjointed to me. One one hand we had Ortega-Red Court conflicts (and Archive! Love her) and on the other, the Shroud. Harry was running from one to the other, but in the end they were never connected, which made the book less cohesive for me. Butcher got a lot better at juggling multiple story-arcs after DF, I think.

My 2nd/3rd favourite after Small Favor and Skin Game is probably Proven Guilty. I especially enjoyed the relationship dynamics between the characters (Harry-Morgan, Harry-Lucio especially) and the plot was awesome as well. The book's ending in Demonreach is still one of my favourite finales in the series + all the Black Council goodness and visiting Edinburgh. Pure awesomeness.

Small Favor has many of the best scenes and character interactions in the series. Harry and Michael's conversation in the shed at the Carpenter's house, for example. Chilling. Couldn't sleep after that. Stayed up till 5 am to finish the book.
    It seems we'll have to wait at least one more year from what I've read. But there's also a short story collection Side Jobs with stories in between the main books up till Ghost Story. Have you read it by any chance?

18. Andrew.J

It's worse on Goodreads. But that doesn't dissuade from trying the books. It's just very interesting seeing all those reactions.

19. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Journeyed there and back again

Will begin Gaiman's Anansi Boys. I loved Ocean...Lane, thought Good Omens was pretty good, didn't like Neverwhere, and also read a couple short story books by him which were OK. So if I do not like this book I'm moving on.

20. Andrew.J

I'm thinking of listening to Neverwhere soon, but I'm still on the fence with Gaiman. I quite liked Stardust, but neither Graveyard Book nor Ocean at the end of the Lane inspired much confidence to continue.