July 2017: What fantasy books are you reading?

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by Andrew.J, Jul 1, 2017.

1. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Journeyed there and back again

Yeah. I will probably read Stardust regardless of how this book turns out.

2. Andrew.J

Andrew.J Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

It's really good. Great even if you like fairytales. If you want to listen to the book, try BBC4's dramatisation of the book. The original story is short enough, so only a few minor things are cut out. It's narrated by a full cast and has immersive sound effects too. I didn't realise I was listening to dramatisation until after I finished it. Highly recommended.

3. MorteTorment

MorteTorment Knows Who John Uskglass Is

I read about 53% of [book:Stormlord Rising|7812372] It's a middle eastern fantasy novel. I shouldn't have wasted my time.

Right now I'm reading [book:Every Dead Thing|175242] About 21% through and about 98 pages in. NOW THIS is what I'm talking about! It's about this ex cop whose wife and kid were killed. When someone else is killed in a similar fashion, Charile Parker seeks them out. Plus, his families ghosts are hanging around.

Oh, and I typed this and forgot to hit post, I'm now 33% through the book and I've read about another 56 pages, for a total of 154/467 pages. The words are just flying off the pages I tell ya!

I wish I could read more today, but damn, I am so burnt out. If I'm into the book as much tomorrow as I was today, I'll probably finish the book in 3 days. Here's hoping.

4. Ryan W. Mueller

Ryan W. Mueller Ran bridges next to Kaladin

Finished The Iron Circlet by Phil Tucker. I discovered this series through the Self-Published Fantasy Blog Off, and I can't say enough good things about it. It is one of my favorite series. There's a ton of action, Tucker writes characters you really care about, and the world and plot are epic with a capital E.

5. rudyjuly2

rudyjuly2 Ran bridges next to Kaladin

This series is on my to-read list which is getting out of control. Who knows when I will get around to it but I'm 60% done book 12 of WOT so I will get back to reading something else by the fall lol.

6. MorteTorment

First of all, I'm sorry for putting the disagree rating on you. I thought about it and realized that it probably takes away points. Changed it to informative.

Anyways, hoping that you'll reply to what I said. If you're willing, please do.

Anyways, as for myself, I've been reading this great book called Charlie Parker 1: Every Dead Thing.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/175242.Every_Dead_Thing?from_search=true

Despite what goodreads says, it's actually a really dark urban fantasy. It feels like it could be a story in the Harry Dresden universe about an ex cop with a murdered wife and child who are still around as ghosts. Charlie as far as I can tell has no special abilties, he's just an ex-cop trying to find the person who murdered his family. Oh, and there's demons too.

as for the statistics:

I read about 53% of Stormlord Rising It's a middle eastern fantasy novel. I shouldn't have wasted my time.

I'm now 33% through the book and I've read about another 56 pages, for a total of 154/467 pages. The words are just flying off the pages I tell ya! If you'll accept a 2/3 blind recommendation, I highly recommend it, especially if you're a fan of Harry Dresden.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
  7. Ryan W. Mueller

Don't worry. My to-read list went out of control a long time ago.

8. khrm

khrm Listens to The Unbeliever whine about life

I am not finding any fantasy series to interest me. I am keeping two series in my to do read: Malazan and The Macht. No, not going start with them. They are to be read when I am depressed.
    Thinking of starting Phil Tucker's Chronicles of the Black Gate. Is it complete?

9. Sneaky Burrito

Sneaky Burrito Crazy Cat Lady Staff Member

I blew through The Queen of Swords by R.S. Belcher in about a day and a half and went on to City of Blades by Robert Jackson Bennett. It is holding my attention a little better than City of Stairs did, for some reason. Also still on Four Roads Cross by Max Gladstone, which I feel is an improvement on the previous book in the series.

10. kenubrion

kenubrion Journeyed there and back again

Started the Nameless Dwarf series yesterday and stopped reading it today. Not my style. Now trying out The Demon In the Wood, a prequel to Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo.

11. Ryan W. Mueller

The first four books are out, and Tucker has said the fifth should be out later this month. It's also one of my favorite series.

12. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Journeyed there and back again

Completed Neil Gaiman's Anansi Boys. I thought it would be a creepily serious type story. Instead it was a good yarn with Gaimans voce/tone making it special. Not LOL funny but that's OK too. The humor seemed to come naturally and quite frankly I found it funnier than Good Omens. I liked this book every bit as much as Ocean...Lane. The pacing of the feel good story was good and Gaiman is back on my good side. In a nutshell it was "delightful". Another book that I can't recall entering into any discussions here. I will add Stardust to my TBR!

13. Hank Garner

Hank Garner Got in a fistfight with Dresden

Just started The Waking Fire by Anthony Ryan to get ready to interview him for my podcast next week. This book is an epic blend of high seas adventure, dragons and magic. Highly recommended.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

14. rudyjuly2

rudyjuly2 Ran bridges next to Kaladin

I had read the sample and it didn't do anything for me. Felt disinterested. Did you like it from page 1 or did it pick up?

15. kenubrion

kenubrion Journeyed there and back again

I absolutely loved The Waking Fire and preordered the sequel as soon as it was available. Seems to me that Ryan has again written a great first book and there's too much going on for book two to be a dropoff. It's a wonderful, unique world.

16. Hank Garner

Hank Garner Got in a fistfight with Dresden

Yeah, I was hooked at the prologue.

17. Andrew.J

Andrew.J Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

I'm having a little reading crisis. I've been jumping from book to book, never settling on one, and I can't seem to find anything that I'd enjoy at the moment. I've been toying with the idea of reading some Guy Gavriel Kay and I've also purchased Prince of Nothing by Bakker if I ever feel like reading something like that + I've had Twelve Kings in Sharakhai for ages now and there's some stuff by folks here that I would really like to get to as well. :confused:

Right now I'm reading Prince of Thorns by Mark Lawrence. It's quite nice, but so far I see nothing that could rival Abercrombie (I often see this idea thrown around) and certainly not something I would put in Top 25 Fantasy Books list. Guess, I'll see when I finish the book.

18. Derk of Derkholm

Derk of Derkholm Journeyed there and back again

Wow.
    Have you read the article that was linked?
    I hope that you do not really consider a person who utters such despicable drivel "a vocal conservative".
    He's a vicious alt-right Neo Nazi.

19. Derk of Derkholm

Derk of Derkholm Journeyed there and back again

Am re-reading the Alex Verus books to get in the mood for his latest book "Bound" (ok, released some time ago, but I only now picked it up).

20. MorteTorment

SHame. I liked The Ocean at the end of the Lane.

Anyways, I WAS reading the Charlie Parker Book 1: Every Dead Thing. Got about 60% in and then I quit. It got so repetitive. So afraid that this is gonna be a repeat of last month where I only end up reading one book, which would suck.

Now I'm reading something MUCH more palatable Bane and Shadow (Empire of Storms #2)

Really really enjoying this book. It's about pirates and a very unique take on magic with something called Biomancry. I'm currently 36% thought the book, and I've ready 150 of the books 416 pages.