July 2017: What fantasy books are you reading?

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by Andrew.J, Jul 1, 2017.

1. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Journeyed there and back again

I also liked Ocean and Anansi as well. Neverwhere just wasn't my kind of story.

2. Sneaky Burrito

Sneaky Burrito Crazy Cat Lady Staff Member

I am reading The Grace of Kings by Ken Liu. I bought it for that Prime Day deal to get 40% off another book purchase. I like it so far although there is a LOT of explanation. I am reading on my old Kindle because I haven't set my new one up yet. I had gum graft surgery this morning and I don't feel like doing anything that requires any effort, whatsoever. (Also I am typing one-handed so please excuse any errors.)

3. Darth Tater

Suldrun's Garden. 1/4 through. Nothing particularly grabs my interest. He rambles on like Jordan about names of people and places so that I cannot see the forest for the trees sometimes. Black and white characters. It's early but nohing special YET.

4. afa

afa Journeyed there and back again

Been a while since I posted.

Been really busy, so I haven't had a lot of time to read lately, unfortunately. Since my last update, I've finished Seveneves by Neal Stephenson and The Anubis Gates by Tim Powers.

Seveneves was a decent read. There was, as expected, a hell of a lot of technical jargon and exposition. This was a case where I was really, really glad to have the audiobook rather than reading. There was no way I could have survived a read through this thing, my eyes would have glazed over to the point where I was blind. But in audiobook format, not a problem. The narrator just talks while you zone out and do other stuff, no big deal. A good book, on the whole, though the last part (the "after" bit) was a let down. I enjoyed the build up and the initial struggles with space life much more; it was quite interesting. And the narrator - Mary Robinette Kowal - did a fantastic job. The characters weren't super deep or anything, but were done well for what they were. Particularly, 'Doc Dubois', a rather obvious homage to Neil DeGrasse Tyson.

The last part of the novel, though, was not interesting at all. I guess Stephenson was trying to imagine what a post-apocalytpic future civilisation would look like, particularly one that grew up in space, but it just wasn't done well. I almost feel like the book would have been better off if he had just given a brief epilogue after Part 2 and just left the details alone. And the ending... ugh. Made absolutely no sense whatsoever. Overall, I'd give it a 3.5 out of 5.

The Anubis Gates. Another decent read, but nothing that great. I was expecting more, to be honest, seeing as how it made the site's list of best standalone SFs, but ended up being a bit disappointed. The premise is interesting enough - time gaps that can be used to travel to other eras, except something goes wrong and our protagonist gets stuck in the past. But the book really dragged. There were some subplots going on that were really not interesting (dog-faced Joe) and even the main plot could have used some spicing up. I don't know, it just couldn't hold my attention. I'd give it a 2.5 out of 5.

So now I'm listening to Hunter by Mercedes Lackey. I'm almost done (82% through). I didn't realise when I got the audiobook that it was YA, but YA it is. So, no complexities or gray characters or such, but it's a quick and easy listen and the plot is fast-paced. Interesting enough book.

5. Hand of Fear

Hand of Fear Journeyed there and back again

I haven't read anything by Brandon Sanderson for awhile now, and also wanted something lighter to get into. So I decided to read Alloy of Law.

6. Sneaky Burrito

I was kind of down on Sanderson for awhile, but I thought the Wax & Wayne books were fun, if not especially deep.

7. afa

Agreed. Though I think Shadows of Self and Bands of Mourning were better than Alloy.

8. Ryan W. Mueller

Ryan W. Mueller Ran bridges next to Kaladin

Bands of Mourning was great. I love the way he combined the fun, fast-paced stories of the first two with the more epic feel of the original.

I'm also excited to see that he's working on another book now, The Apocalypse Guard. I think it's loosely connected to the Reckoners trilogy, so it's probably a bit more of a YA read. After that, I think he has stated he's going to work on the last Wax & Wayne book.

I also can't wait for Oathbringer. Four months to go.

9. Maark Abbott

Maark Abbott Journeyed there and back again

Finished The Gathering Storm. Onto The Court of Broken Knives now.

10. afa

And I'm done with Hunter. As I said before, it's a fun enough book. No big surprises or anything, but a quick and easy read. I'll go ahead and give it a 4 out of 5. (By the way, what's up with YA books and their obsession with the whole "masses watching real people do super-dangerous things on TV" thing?"

And now I'm on to Battle Cruiser by B.V. Larson, the first entry in the Lost Colonies SF trilogy.

11. Andrew.J

Andrew.J Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

I finished Prince of Thorns by Mark Lawrence a couple of days ago. It's one of those books that I've had a hard time rating. In the end I settled on 3.5/5 or 3 Goodreads stars. After reading some reviews I'd expected something really dark, but the book was rather tame. Although it's not YA, I found the tone to be very similar to that in Half a King by Joe Abercrombie. Certain stylistic elements are similar as well.

The book is short and easy to read. I liked the prose and the main character. The plot, I thought, was inconsistent at times. Some parts of the book were very well-written and really enjoyable
    Jorg's return to Ancrath/the duel
    and some dragged at times as I found myself losing interest. The finale was fun, but the explanation/reveal at the end wasn't very satisfying.

The setting of post-apocalyptic Europe is the most interesting aspect of the book, imo. It has the feel of a medieval fantasy, but with an additional layer of references and plot elements of our world. I was having fun trying to place the events of the book to some place specific in Europe.

I'm currently reading the sequel - King of Thorns. So far so good.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  12. Darth Tater

Suldrun's Garden. I get the historical significance and trendsetting part. The book bordered between the ridiculous and the grotesque. Ogres raping ten year olds and roasting a kid stuffed with onions on a spit. Maybe when I was new to fantasy. Hell, I even enjoyed the one dragonlance series which was funny, meant not to be taken too seriously, Flat characters I didn't even care about. Good guys all had the same personalities. Same with the bad. Shocker though. I mean this was more mind blowing than the shocker in Mistborn. I didn't even care after that. If thiswere written today it doesn't get a second look. The only reason I gave it 3 stars of 5 instead of 2 was because the end was decent. He rambles on about the landscape, and character and city names you never hear again. My eyes glazed over. Boring!! I hate to rip a "classic" but I forced myself to complete it. Yuck!

13. afa

Did any of that bother you? I was annoyed by certain things, like Jorg's penchant for quoting Aristotle or Plato. I mean, this is a setting where something apocalyptic happened over a thousand years ago, and the event was so devastating that it essentially wiped out any existing knowledge of science and technology.
    Not only that, but this event happened in what would likely be 'future' for us, considering some of the tech that is hinted at.

And yet, young Jorg Ancrath, growing up in the wild with a band of outlaws and psychopaths, somehow knows about the ancient Greek philosophers? I found that to be kind of stupid.

14. JHBSmith

JHBSmith Got in a fistfight with Dresden

It certainly bugged me. Once I got to the point where I just made myself let it go though, I enjoyed it a lot more. Best letting it just stay background colour for the story rather than look too closely, I found.

15. Hand of Fear

I agree with it not being deep, can't say it's a great read so far. Seems to repeat how the Allmantic powers work ect, really wish he would have gotten out of that habit.

16. Sneaky Burrito

Yeah, guess I hadn't noticed that part so much because it had been so long since I'd read Mistborn. I did kind of like how the allomancy and feruchemy worked together.

17. Alucard

Alucard In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge! Staff Member

I've been reading listening to a bunch of stuff in July.
    Right now I'm switching between Besieged by Kevin Hearne, which is a collection of short stories from Iron Druid series and Sandman Slim series by Richard Kadrey. A new book from this series came out a month ago or so and I almost caught up. It's 9 books total I think.
    In any case Sandman Slim is one of the best urban fantasy series I have read. @Sneaky Burrito I think you might like it. Kadrey's style is close to R. S. Belcher's Nightwise series, although not so dark and it's more humorous. But the way they write characters is very similar.

Everything that is in written form whether on kindle or paper has been taking a step back, because I just don't have the time to sit down and read. So The Dark Tower waits.

18. S. K. Inkslinger

S. K. Inkslinger Will likely be killed by a Lannister soon

I'm currently reading The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson. In short, having just made it through half of the book, I can say it's just so explicably awesome. And I've heard book 2 is bound to be even better. :D

19. Jakyro

Jakyro Journeyed there and back again

I'm still reading Toll The Hounds (MBotF 8); I should finish this weekend. For now this has been one of the weaker books in the series.

It's definitely not as action packed as the previous books, even a bit unlike Erikson I'd say. On the plus side we have the return of a lot of known characters, and the events surrounding these characters were for the most part fun to read about (altough limited in action). I feel that the story did contain a certain level of filler and some parts could have been cut. Especially the parts regarding introspection/musings/philosophical rantings from characters could have been reduced a lot. I can stand those until a certain point, but in this book they were too much for me. I feel they don't add to the story; cutting all/some of it would have made the book a much more pleasant read.

I've understood that the ending is still great so I'm hoping on some redeeming qualities from it. Depending on the end this book will come out better/worse than HoC (which is currently my least favourite book)

20. Hand of Fear

@Jakyro wait until you get to Dust of Dreams then, if you thought the philosophical ratings were bad in Toll the Hounds you are in for an absolute treat !