July 2017: What fantasy books are you reading?

Khartun

Journeyed there and back again
I'm still reading Toll The Hounds (MBotF 8); I should finish this weekend. For now this has been one of the weaker books in the series.

It's definitely not as action packed as the previous books, even a bit unlike Erikson I'd say. On the plus side we have the return of a lot of known characters, and the events surrounding these characters were for the most part fun to read about (altough limited in action). I feel that the story did contain a certain level of filler and some parts could have been cut. Especially the parts regarding introspection/musings/philosophical rantings from characters could have been reduced a lot. I can stand those until a certain point, but in this book they were too much for me. I feel they don't add to the story; cutting all/some of it would have made the book a much more pleasant read.

I've understood that the ending is still great so I'm hoping on some redeeming qualities from it. Depending on the end this book will come out better/worse than HoC (which is currently my least favourite book)
Yes, this is one of my least favorite as well. A story as told by Kruppe just didn't register for me.

David Sims

Warded demons with Arlen
I'm halfway through the last book in The Riyria Revelations by Michael J. Sullivan. I'm not sure where I'll go after that.

By the way, the fourth book in Brent Weeks' Lightbringer series, The Blood Mirror, has been reduced in price to $11.99, which is the highest price that I find acceptable for an ebook novel. So I bought it.

Andrew.J

Did any of that bother you? I was annoyed by certain things, like Jorg's penchant for quoting Aristotle or Plato. I mean, this is a setting where something apocalyptic happened over a thousand years ago, and the event was so devastating that it essentially wiped out any existing knowledge of science and technology.
Not only that, but this event happened in what would likely be 'future' for us, considering some of the tech that is hinted at.

And yet, young Jorg Ancrath, growing up in the wild with a band of outlaws and psychopaths, somehow knows about the ancient Greek philosophers? I found that to be kind of stupid.
The quotes didn't bug me. He could've quoted them less, but it wasn't anything that detracted from my enjoyment of the book.

Jorg is a son of a king. He's surely been given the best education possible in the 10 years he spent in Ancrath. I'd imagine the libraries there are well-stocked considering it was part of the empire once.

It's mentioned in the 2nd book that Vatican saved a lot of knowledge at the time of the catastrophe. It's also alluded that a lot of stuff has been purposefully kept away from the masses. I'd think
that other major powers of the time would have tried to do the same. It's not implausible for some, let's say hardback copies of random works of Pluto or Aristotles to have survived long enough to be acquired by scriptors.

kenubrion

I'm dropping everything else and beginning The Legion of Flame, book 2 in Anthony Ryan's new series.

Darth Tater

My cousin lent me the Lyonesse trilogy by Vance so I'm trying that.
@Peat

After completing it a couple days earlier, I posted my thoughts on Suldrun's Garden a few posts before this. After posting I looked at the Amazon ratings and people who gave it 1-3 stars of 5 had a lot of the same thoughts as I did, many of which I didn't post. I gave it a "3" but it just barely made it out of the "2" range. I hope you can stay awake through it and enjoy it. Very outdated, IMHO. I won't continue on. The majority of people liked it. Interested to hear your take on it when you're done. :)

Jordan R. Murray

Possibly a Darkfriend
I've been reading The Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe, and it's wonderful so far. I like the world building he did with the Citadel, but I'm waiting to see how the main character, Severian develops as the book progresses.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
I drool over Anthony Ryan's book covers every time I see them, but I haven't read any of his books. Are they as good as the covers hint they are?
I've been reading The Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe, and it's wonderful so far. I like the world building he did with the Citadel, but I'm waiting to see how the main character, Severian develops as the book progresses.
I was going to answer your first question, but then I saw your second post. I hate The Book of the New Sun so much, I can't be certain you'd share my opinion on anything else.

At any rate, I have read some truly mediocre (or bad) books with good covers, and some great books with terrible covers, so I'm not sure that should be your only metric.

Jordan R. Murray

Possibly a Darkfriend
I was going to answer your first question, but then I saw your second post. I hate The Book of the New Sun so much, I can't be certain you'd share my opinion on anything else.

At any rate, I have read some truly mediocre (or bad) books with good covers, and some great books with terrible covers, so I'm not sure that should be your only metric.
Why didn't you like The Book of the New Sun? I'm not far along, but so far the writing style is good. I think it's more interesting to find someone equally passionate about fantasy who sees things differently. You're not my only metric, and I wouldn't discount your recommendation of one book based upon your opinion of a separate, completely different series by another author. I'd still like your opinions. :)

p.s. I see on your 2017 books read list that you read Sabriel. Did you know that Tim Curry narrates the audiobook version? I read it first, loved it, and then discovered the audiobook and listened to it because I like Tim Curry's voice. He does a haunting rendition of the book and I would recommend it.

Peat

@Peat

After completing it a couple days earlier, I posted my thoughts on Suldrun's Garden a few posts before this. After posting I looked at the Amazon ratings and people who gave it 1-3 stars of 5 had a lot of the same thoughts as I did, many of which I didn't post. I gave it a "3" but it just barely made it out of the "2" range. I hope you can stay awake through it and enjoy it. Very outdated, IMHO. I won't continue on. The majority of people liked it. Interested to hear your take on it when you're done. :)
Will do. I'm only dipping in and out at the moment but it is certainly very dated. Not that I mind dated but it can make things difficult.

Cyphon

I drool over Anthony Ryan's book covers every time I see them, but I haven't read any of his books. Are they as good as the covers hint they are?
I haven't read the first book of his new series but I have read the first 2 books in A Raven's Shadow and am a good way through the third. I like the first 2 books with the first maybe being slightly more entertaining but the 2nd making some improvements over the first that might objectively make it a better book. The third book has been disappointing. I am a little over 400 pages in and it feels more like a middle setup book for bigger things than a grand conclusion book. Boring.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Why didn't you like The Book of the New Sun? I'm not far along, but so far the writing style is good. I think it's more interesting to find someone equally passionate about fantasy who sees things differently. You're not my only metric, and I wouldn't discount your recommendation of one book based upon your opinion of a separate, completely different series by another author. I'd still like your opinions. :)
I felt like Gene Wolfe was writing in a way that was purposefully obfuscatory. Like he didn't want the reader to actually know and understand what was going on. Or perhaps he was just too full of himself and his vocabulary and all the supposed references to literature and/or history that he was including that he let this stuff get in the way of clear writing.

Sometimes I think he even lost track of what was going on. The stories-within-stories irritated me, and one of them was a play. Severian had fallen in with a group of players but there were more characters on stage at one point than there were players in the group! Also there was a big revelation near the end of the fourth book about one of the players and this person's relationship to Severian; it was something I figured out in the first book (and I am not usually that good at such things). So that was anti-climactic.

Plus, in the end, after putting up with all that,
it was just another "special boy with a sword who becomes the ruler of the world" story

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
p.s. I see on your 2017 books read list that you read Sabriel. Did you know that Tim Curry narrates the audiobook version? I read it first, loved it, and then discovered the audiobook and listened to it because I like Tim Curry's voice. He does a haunting rendition of the book and I would recommend it.
I don't do audiobooks. I don't have any memberships, nor any devices to play them on (not gonna lug my laptop around), and I don't like the fact that it takes longer to get through an audiobook than it does just reading. But that's just my preference. I know a lot of people here like them.

With respect to Anthony Ryan, I read Blood Song and the two sequels. Blood Song was a good read, the second one was mediocre but readable, and I really could have done without the third one all together. From a plot and world-building standpoint, it seemed like the author indulging himself (he came up with the material so he was going to use it all, or something like that).

Darth Tater

The Lost Island by the writers of Relic (great book but dumb movie). They usually write thriller/horror books but this was thriller/fantasy relating to the Odyssey. If you need a fantasy break some of the thrillers I've mentioned have science fiction elements. Action filled throughout.

Next: on Stranger Tides by Tim Powers. My first by him. I believe this is fantasy? Arrrrrrr. Ship ahoy matey!

Last edited:

Ryan W. Mueller

I don't do audiobooks. I don't have any memberships, nor any devices to play them on (not gonna lug my laptop around), and I don't like the fact that it takes longer to get through an audiobook than it does just reading. But that's just my preference. I know a lot of people here like them.

With respect to Anthony Ryan, I read Blood Song and the two sequels. Blood Song was a good read, the second one was mediocre but readable, and I really could have done without the third one all together. From a plot and world-building standpoint, it seemed like the author indulging himself (he came up with the material so he was going to use it all, or something like that).
I'm a little higher on the series as a whole, but my views follow the same pattern. First book: great. Second book: good. Third book: disappointing.

I think I ended up liking it well enough in the end, but I've been hesitant to try The Waking Fire. It worries me that Anthony Ryan got progressively worse with each book in his first trilogy.