July 2017: What fantasy books are you reading?

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I have started the first book of The Black Company. Pretty weird. I don`t know if it is Cook`s writing or the German Translation. Probably both.
I will stay with it and hope it gets better.
Question for you; why do you read the German translation instead of going for the English version? Your English is very good. In my experience translations often detract from the quality of the story.

Jakyro

Journeyed there and back again
I finished Toll The Hounds last week. It's one of my least favourite books in the Malazan world. I still prefer it slightly above House of Chains. See below my review:
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1218060942

As I need a short break from my Malazan read, I've decided to read something non-fantasy; "The Thirst" from Jo Nesbo, the 11th book in his Harry Hole series

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
I'm on my last Sandman Slim book, The Kill Society. This came out in June this year, so I have fully caught up. Highly recommend this series if you like urban fantasy with strong male character that's bit on a darker side.
Kadrey has also most successfully adapted the whole heaven/hell/earth mythology and spun it into something else.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I'm reading the Vagrant by Peter Newman. I'm only 40 pages in, but I am already quite excited about this book. The premise and setting are interesting and the fact that the main character doesn't talk gives a strange. macabre and mysterious ambiance to the book. I also like Newman's prose.

rudyjuly2

I'm reading the Vagrant by Peter Newman. I'm only 40 pages in, but I am already quite excited about this book. The premise and setting are interesting and the fact that the main character doesn't talk gives a strange. macabre and mysterious ambiance to the book. I also like Newman's prose.
This book seems to really divide people. From reading reviews on Goodreads you either love it or hate it. Will get around to this eventually as I did buy it on sale.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
This book seems to really divide people. From reading reviews on Goodreads you either love it or hate it. Will get around to this eventually as I did buy it on sale.
Yeah, I noticed the wildly differing reviews too. I also noticed that the consolidated grade is pretty low (3.7 or thereabouts), whilst books 2 and 3 score significantly higher. They also say that this series is atypical in that the quality of the story gets better the further along in the trilogy you are (whilst for example the Blood Song trilogy shows an inverse pattern). I'll let you guys know how I feel about this first book once I've wrapped it up.

ExTended

I've liked the writing style, the over-all story and most of the characters in it. The tone is precious beyond count - same could be said for the prose too.

What I didn't like was that many important things regarding the world-building are never being explained in a good enough level as to let the reader guess the limitations of the plot-twists. I am not a big fan of such things in books, and combined with the over-all oddness and vagueness of the world-building, I felt it could've been conveyed better, but other than that - a very different and memorable book. In a good way, that is.

rudyjuly2

Yeah, I noticed the wildly differing reviews too. I also noticed that the consolidated grade is pretty low (3.7 or thereabouts), whilst books 2 and 3 score significantly higher. They also say that this series is atypical in that the quality of the story gets better the further along in the trilogy you are (whilst for example the Blood Song trilogy shows an inverse pattern). I'll let you guys know how I feel about this first book once I've wrapped it up.
The Blood Song final book has to have the lowest score relative to the first book in any trilogy out there. 4.47 to 3.64! That's a massive drop (book 2 still scored a solid 4.19).

Darth Tater

Completed On Stanger Tides (Tim Powers). Fantasy, seas, pirates, sword fights. All stuff I love. So why was I bored? I didn't care about any of the characters. There wasn't any depth to them and they had no real personalities. Unbelievable for the modt part. Sometimes I found myself lost in his descriptions and logic. It became more interesting in the second half of the book but you pretty much knew where it was headed. Didn't seem very creative. It is part horror with lots of voodoo and the undead. I had planned to read The Anubis Gates (which is probably better) once the ridiculous price dropped. I was eager to be done with it. The Anubis Gates is now off my TBR. I gave it 3 stars out of 5. IMO, there are much better fantasy standalones out there.

Last edited:

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
I have been burning through books lately. I had to have oral surgery (gum grafts) a few weeks ago and that was pretty crappy (bled all day, had to go to the ER) so I have had to take it easy with exercise. I have been walking on the treadmill, which is boring as all get out, but for various reasons it's all I can do right now. I have trouble reading paper books in that setting but I have found that my Kindle works quite nicely, especially if I can increase the font size.

So I read some novellas from Stephen R. Donaldson (collected in one volume; see my signature), The Grace of Kings by Ken Liu (not my favorite, may not continue), the most recent Rivers of London book (I wasn't quite as angry as some people, but it was not Aaronovitch's best effort), and am most of the way through Stranger of Tempest by Tom Lloyd which is pretty standard fantasy fare (band of mercenaries with reluctant new member) but which seems to be what I'm in the mood for right now, so I'll take it.

Still reading Four Roads Cross by Max Gladstone in paper but am liking it better than Last First Snow.

Needing to pick up a few new series in electronic format. Not sure what.

Ryan W. Mueller

I have started the first book of The Black Company. Pretty weird. I don`t know if it is Cook`s writing or the German Translation. Probably both.
I will stay with it and hope it gets better.
Cook has a very choppy writing style with a lot of short sentences. It fits the story, but it's a bit of an adjustment as a reader.

Last edited:

Matticus Primal

Cook has a very choppy writing style with a lot of short sentences. It fits the story, but it's a bit of an adjustment as a writer.
And now for the Shatner-inspired period placement treatment: "Cook has a very choppy. Writing style. With a lot of short sentences. It fits the story, but it's a bit of an adjustment. As a writer."

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I have been burning through books lately. I had to have oral surgery (gum grafts) a few weeks ago and that was pretty crappy (bled all day, had to go to the ER) so I have had to take it easy with exercise. I have been walking on the treadmill, which is boring as all get out, but for various reasons it's all I can do right now. I have trouble reading paper books in that setting but I have found that my Kindle works quite nicely, especially if I can increase the font size.

So I read some novellas from Stephen R. Donaldson (collected in one volume; see my signature), The Grace of Kings by Ken Liu (not my favorite, may not continue), the most recent Rivers of London book (I wasn't quite as angry as some people, but it was not Aaronovitch's best effort), and am most of the way through Stranger of Tempest by Tom Lloyd which is pretty standard fantasy fare (band of mercenaries with reluctant new member) but which seems to be what I'm in the mood for right now, so I'll take it.

Still reading Four Roads Cross by Max Gladstone in paper but am liking it better than Last First Snow.

Needing to pick up a few new series in electronic format. Not sure what.
Get well soon Sneaky!

And that's quite a reading binge you're going through!

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
I came back to Dresden and I'm liking the story, but boy oh boy does Harry go on my nerves.
He thinks he's chivalrous but he's more like delusional and horny. All the goddamn time. The descriptions of all the female characters are as always bordering on erotica, with Harry slowly taking in all the details of their bodies from hair, boobs, buts and legs. It's so predictable by this point and so annoying.

But aside from him being so thirsty, you get these high and mighty morality statements that aren't really logical or thought through, but just a reflection of what he perceives is his chivalric personality, when in fact Harry just comes of as desperate and chauvinistic to me.

''Call me a Neanderthal if you like, but I get real irrational about bad things happening to women. Human violence was at its most hideous when a woman was on the receiving end, and supernatural predators were even worse.''

Really Harry? Violence of any kind is bad, but I can think of much worse than an adult female on a receiving end. Most hideous you say? Well how about kids Harry? Or old folks? Or disabled people? Surely those are much worse. But nah, adult women are the victims of the most hideous violence.

Stuff like this really spoils my enjoyment of this series. I still haven't come across a series besides Dresden where I like the story but strongly dislike the main character. Please tell me he gets better. Please.
People are always saying Dresden as a story gets better, but I usually don't have a problem with the story. Sure, some books have a weak plot, but the world building is nice, I like the side characters and their humor. But it's Harry that is ruining it for me. If he stays like this throughout the series I think I might be better of looking for another urban fantasy.

@Sneaky Burrito
Hope you get better soon!
For new series give Sandman Slim a shot ;) See if you like it.

Last edited:

Darth Tater

After starting three fantasy or science fiction series I was less than pleased with (admittedly all highly recommended so it must be me) , I began Harkwood's Voyage (Monarchies Of God) today. It is extremely early to judge but based on the prologue and first chapter I think I am going to really enjoy this five book series (I can usually tell by now). :)Fingers crossed. The early going is a bit of a chore as I need to list the characters. I think there will be a lot of this.

kenubrion

I interrupted my read of Anthony Ryan's new book The Legion of Flame to read jo Zebedee's new fantasy Waters and the Wild. It is great and I highly recommend it. I've always liked stories about the fey and this is all fey all the time. It's an intense look at the interaction between the fey and a young woman who is the only person who can hear, and then see, the fey creatures. It's a quick read especially if you're like me and cannot put it down. I gave it 9.5/10 in the review.