July 2017: What fantasy books are you reading?

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by Andrew.J, Jul 1, 2017.

1. Peat

Peat Journeyed there and back again

@Alucard - he gets a bit better. But I'm not sure he gets better enough. I'd posit that later-era Dresden is more a chauvinist who knows he is and is trying not to be so much than a "Well EXCUSE ME for trying to protect you pretty frail flowers". I also think Butcher is a bit more aware of just how annoying Harry can be when doing so. But, ultimately, Dresden's character flaw is he's a bit of an anachronistic pig who needs to get laid far more often.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Alucard

Alucard In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge! Staff Member

Well shit.

I don't know if I can handle anymore of this. And it's exactly as you write. Why did Butcher write him like this ffs? I don't mind macho strong man characters ( I love Logan from First Law) but what annoys me more than anything is that Harry is written as his chauvinism is for the sake of frail innocent female characters. Fucking owning it would be 10x better. If Butcher wrote him like that because that's how Harry is I don't think it would annoy me as much. But he's only turns into an obnoxious character around good looking female characters.

3. Ryan W. Mueller

Ryan W. Mueller Ran bridges next to Kaladin

Finished The Guns of Empire by Django Wexler (book 4 in The Shadow Campaigns). This might have been my favorite so far. It's between this one and the second book. 9.5/10

4. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Journeyed there and back again

Good to hear. It's one of three series currently on my TBR.

The eight Dresden books I've read all run together. (Only bought book 8 after getting the first seven on a deal). They struck me as formulaic and I can only remember a couple of specific incidents. I'll bet the show is great. I eould rate the books an unenthusiastic "good" but overrated. I may buy one every year in the future or none at all. I haven't noticed any changes in Harry other than him taking cold showers more frequently.

5. Peat

Wish I knew.

I've just tried a google and that's not getting me anywhere fast. I could have sworn he's addressed it in interviews but they're not floating to the top and I can't really remember what he said.

And don't forget how pretty much all the female characters in the Dresdenverse are good looking.

• Like Like x 1
  6. JHBSmith

JHBSmith Got in a fistfight with Dresden

He does. A bit. He at least starts thinking he maybe shouldn't do it as much.

Got back to Alex Verus after a little break. They're never bad books, but the plot is kind of slow. More seems to have happened in this one, but I get the feeling at least some of it is getting undone by the end. We'll see.

7. Cyphon

Cyphon Ran bridges next to Kaladin

Nope, that is pretty much how he is in every book and truthfully never seems to really learn any lessons. The first time I read the series it didn't bother me as much but for whatever reason the 2nd time through I started to find his anger issues and things you mentioned pretty annoying. And to add to your point about his description of women bordering on erotica, it goes beyond that and more or less every women in the series is the hottest women you have ever laid eyes on as Harry would describe them. I let some of it slide because with a lot of it we are dealing with fantasy and the supernatural so it would make sense they would be disproportianately good looking compared to muggles. Still though, it does get tedious.

I don't think I have ever NOT recommended Dresden but if it bothers you that much it isn't worth continuing.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Hand of Fear

Hand of Fear Journeyed there and back again

I know I'm a bit late to the party on reading this book, but I have started reading book one of the First Law trilogy The Blade Itself.

Haven't read much of it yet so don't have much information to form a proper opinion.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Andrew.J

Andrew.J Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

Well, I'm currently listening to Side Jobs by Jim Butcher. I'm pleasantly surprised thus far. It's a very enjoyable short story collection.

@Alucard In that regard Harry doesn't change that much. The only thing that changes is that he gets called out on it more and some enemies use his affections towards women against him. Like Cyphon mentioned, Harry's anger issues bothered me a lot more, but he's been dealing better with that as the series progresses.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Andrew.J

Andrew.J Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

I think it's fair pointing out that the series is about attractive people in general. Practically all men could be perceived as attractive too, were Harry into them. I've read a short story from a female PoV (
    Molly's
    ) and men are described almost identically to women in Harry's PoV stories. That doesn't change anything, though. If it gets on your nerves, it might be better to drop the series.

11. Darth Tater

Many people say that Kvothe is an unreliable narrator. Personally, I don't see it. Regardless, if people see Kvothe as unreliable then why have I never heard that Harry Dresden is unreliable? He claims to do many more incredible things than Kvothe. Just sayin'...

12. Peat

Differences in framing device. Kvothe is narrating what he did do; Harry, for all its past tense, is narrating what's happening to him then. One invites far more room for doubt than the other. Also, I'm fairly sure authorial intent is against Harry being an unreliable narrator. Although I've no idea where Rothfuss' head is at in terms of intent there.

Heh. Maybe Lawrence will one day reveal that Jorg was a lifelong virgin and coward who liked to make himself sound really important :p

Speaking of Kvothe, if I wasn't so bloody curious as to what all the fuss is about now I've picked it up, his story would be going back to the charity shop. So many pretty words to so little effect.

13. Darth Tater

I'm not sure anyone claims Kvothe intentionally fabricated his life story. I think it was more like saying he misinterpreted events. Harry could be doing the same even though it is present tense. I think both are accurate in their accounts and we don't know Rothfuss' intent any more than Butchers. I personally believe that content > setting.

14. Peat

Oh well, yes. I think I get what you're getting at now. All first person narrators make mistakes from time to time. Particularly when they're detectives. Very hard to do first person detective fiction if the narrator doesn't make an absolute hash of it at times.

I generally take unreliable narrator to mean one that might not be telling the truth about what they've been doing rather than one who makes mistakes about what others have been doing though.

15. TomTB

TomTB The Master Tweeter Staff Member

Completely agree. It's the only Powers book I've read and it's put me off reading anymore! Don't think I rated it as highly as you though.

16. MorteTorment

MorteTorment Reluctantly made a Warden of the White Council

Tom! How's it going buddy? Missed you! :D

17. Alucard

Thank you all for responding. I'm going to finish Blood Rites. The story is ok and I like Thomas, and hopefully I can overcome Harry's annoying personality enough to enjoy the story. But after that I think I'm going to try this instead of Dresden.
    [​IMG]
    The Devil You Know

18. kenubrion

kenubrion Journeyed there and back again

You read Tim Powers' weakest book and decide not to read his best ones because of that. Oh sure that makes sense.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. Alucard

Sometimes a bad egg can leave a bad taste for a long time or you stop eating eggs all together. N. K. Jemisin's The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms has really put me off from reading more of her. It's her first book and imo it sucks. She probably improved in the meantime, but every time I see her new title come out, all I can think of is that godawful book.

But I do agree with you it's silly and not logical at all. Imo, Tim Powers is a great writer (I base this on Anubis Gate's, so not a lot), but at the same time sometimes you just can't be bothered and you just wanna read something you like.

20. MorteTorment

MorteTorment Reluctantly made a Warden of the White Council

Dear god can I relate!