July 2017: What fantasy books are you reading?

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by Andrew.J, Jul 1, 2017.

1. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Journeyed there and back again

IMO, it would be highly ILLOGICAL (Captain) and silly to spend $15 on a 350 page Anubis Gates (from what I gather by far his best work) when, as you point out, there are so many other fish (and/or eggs and authors to fry so why even bother). I respect and appreciate that you, like most here, can distinguish your OPINIONS from fact!;) You present a well ordered case for your views, andFWIW, I agree with MOST of your post.

2. Alucard

Alucard In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge! Staff Member

If I stumble upon a bargain for Anubis Gates I'll let you know. 13.99 $ is a bit much for an author you didn't like.

3. Darth Tater

Thanks. There was a period around a year ago when just about every book by Powers was marked down on Amazon to under $3. Anubis was the exception. Hmmmm. Anyhow in Tides I found him to ramble on and I'm into characters. IMO, based on only one book that I couldn't wait to finish I don't know how different things could be. Perhaps. I gave it 3/5 but it left a bad taste in my mouth.

4. TomTB

TomTB The Master Tweeter Staff Member

I'll no doubt give Powers another chance one day, but On Stranger Tides left a sour taste in my mouth.

Can't see why you have such a problem @kenubrion . It's as though you get personally offended whenever someone says something negative about an author you like!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. TomTB

All good cheers mate. Hope you're well :)

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. kenubrion

kenubrion Journeyed there and back again

I'm actually pretty ambivalent about Powers. It's rejecting an author's classics because of his miss that is nonsensical. Might as well rename this site as the we-blast-books-we-haven't-read forum.

7. TomTB

Well that's a bit over the top, but if that's the way you feel then so be it. I stand by the fact I'm well within my rights to not feel overly enamoured about an author based on my experiences of reading one of his books. I feel the same way about Gene Wolfe, R Scott Bakker, Richard Morgan, and to a lesser extent, Guy Gavriel Kay. I hope this doesn't offend you too much.

With Powers, I didn't get on at all with his style, I didn't like his characters, and 'On Stranger Tides' didn't leave me with the slightest inclination of reading anything else by him. I haven't 'blasted' any of his other books, for all I know they could all be utterly wonderful, I just haven't felt the need to find out based on my prior experiences. I don't understand why that clearly annoys you so much.

• Like Like x 1
  8. kenubrion

kenubrion Journeyed there and back again

If you cannot see why dissing books without reading them is wrong, let's let it go and decide to disagree.

9. MorteTorment

MorteTorment Reluctantly made a Warden of the White Council

Doing just fine. Got an idea for a project that I just made a topic about.

Anyways, I'm copying this from a topic on goodreads.

Finally Finished Bane and Shadow: Book 2 of the Empire of Storms Trilogy It's probably the best DECENT series I've ever read. It's not a GOOD seriees, as i don't really get any FEELS from it, and, it's never really all that exiting depite it having a lot of thing that should be exciting, but it's the only series that I've given 3 stars to of book one that there wasn't any question on me not continuing the series, and I'm looking forward to the final book. And in a way, that kinda makes the series feel special!

I'm also continuing along with my rl book club, reading 4 chapters a week of my favorite book series Night Angel, with the first book, The Way of Shadows. It's even better than I remember. Currently up tot chapter 24 of about 50 chapters!

And as for what I'm reading on my own now...

I'm on a slow moving never ending quest to find an urban fantasy romance novel that I don't enjoy for it because it feels like an ironic comedy.

I tried it with Flight from Death and the rest of the series. It featured sex with a vampire where it told us just how cold a vampires cock is, making it possibly the funniest sex scene written by someone who's actually had sex.

I tried it with Discount Armageddon and the best part of the book was at the end where the main combined ballroom dancing with combat. As far as I can tell, it wasn't meant to be funny, but it was hilarious. Pretty damn good book too! But again, ironic reasons, plus I hated the main's romantic interest. He's essentially a bag of dicks, and the main character falls for him because he's confident, or something. It's never really specified.

Well, I'm about half done with the first book in a series called Kate Daniels Book one is called Magic Bites There was a small moment of stupid when they kept mentioning dead vampires balls during an autopsy that really shouldn't have been there.

That said, it's easily the smallest "offender" by a large margin, and it's also the only time when I laughed when I wasn't supposed to. I'll likely finish the book today, and the way the book is going, I certainly think I'm gonna end up reading more. Oh, and bonus points for having Lycans, and not turning me off with that. That's hard to do with a first book in a series, as I'm more of a vampy fan.

*hours later*

Or at least that's how I felt until I read the second half. I swear, the whole book is only around 100 or so pages long, but the second half is possibly the slowest read I've dealt with in years, if no not ever! And almost everyone besides Kate herself become completely unlikable, (and just to clarify, there are a LOT of characters in these 100 pages) and the romantice interest that the series hints at is a an arrogant deuchebag! Gah!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
  10. Darth Tater

Great post Tom. But WHAT??? You absolutely MUST give GGK another shot!!! Just kidding of course but out of curiosity which book did you read of his? He and Tad Williams are my favorites. I believe you and I generally like different kinds of books so I do not think you would like him. Regardless, I always enjoy your posts even though you are wrong most the time.:hilarious:J/K.

On taking things personally. I totally agree. I would understand if they were related to the author. The red flag is when people rarely or never use "IMO". One of the beauties here is that people are more mature. Folks are free to say what they want just as I am free to skip their posts as they are free to skip mine..

Al Ucard (aka Dracula in the mirror...which is paradoxical because vampires cannot see their reflections):wacky: had a post earlier looking at both sides of the coin. Ultimately, I did not agree with the conclusion they seemed to reach on one point, but thought it was a really good post even though they were wrong too!! :p J/K again.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Darth Tater

Huh? Not sure where you are getting that. Neither Tom nor I "dissed books without reading them. Neither of us thought much of On Stranger Tides.We gave several (similar) reasons (there was no conspiracy) for not liking it much. Based on that we both decided we were reluctant to read any more of his books.I think we both acknowledged that Anubis might be very different. But I saw enough that I didn't like in the plot, characters, and writing style to discourage me from jumping into another Powers book when my odds may be better with another.

• Like Like x 1
  12. MorteTorment

MorteTorment Reluctantly made a Warden of the White Council

Tried The Aeronaut's Windlass. Read 20 pages of it, and I was really into it. Then I did the smart thing and dropped the book, and for that I'm really proud of myself.

*sees the whole group glaring at me*

Ok, ok! Just hear me out!

On one hand I was really excited about the book as I was reading it. Early one they gave me what I wanted. Likable characters, and awesome airship battles. However it also has a problem that I often try to ignore, and keep reading, in denial of how much something drives me up the wall.

You see, the problem is that almost all, if not all of the main characters are soldiers, and I hate reading about soldiers, and all the denial in the world isn't gonna change that.

The thing is, I was so hyped for this book a way that I'd have to slog through the first half of he book, before finding someone to talk me out of continuing. I got myself out of it.

It only took about a half hour of my life, and with it I'm free to pursue something I actually want to read. It's an amazing feeling being able to help myself this time.

13. Peat

Peat Journeyed there and back again

Expressing a lack of interest in an author's works based on reading some of them isn't dissing a book without reading it.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  14. Darth Tater

Hey, IMO, nothing wrong with that. It's weird but I usually can tell within the first 20 pages how I will feel about a book and no it isn't a self fulfilling prophecy type of thing. Hopefully, you bought it on Kindle within the last five days so you can return it. At any rate, FWIW, the way I see it is that whatever system works for you and you are comfortable with is the only thing that matters. :)

15. Alucard

Alucard In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge! Staff Member

Peat always puts it so nicely and succinctly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Silvion Night

Silvion Night Sir Readalot Staff Member

Dunno why, but that line struck me as highly sexual. Must be my dirty mind.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. TomTB

Alucard is famed for her smuttiness around these parts, after all ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Silvion Night

Silvion Night Sir Readalot Staff Member

Please tell me the innuendo is on purpose in your post Tom. I don't want to go into therapy...

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. TomTB

The men in white coats will be around soon Silv. Just breathe into a paper bag until they arrive!

• Like Like x 1
  20. Peat

Peat Journeyed there and back again

That really wasn't how I imagined the conversation would go after that post :D

Anyway, I'm re-reading Thud and Daggerspell.

• Like Like x 2