July 2017: What SF books are you reading?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by TomTB, Jul 1, 2017.

1. TomTB

TomTB The Master Tweeter Staff Member

Space ships > Dragons

2. TomTB

Started my reread of Hyperion this morning. One of the best books I've read so looking forward to it. Listening on audio.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Journeyed there and back again

WHAT? Blasphemy!!

1.Dragons speak. Spsceships need computers to do their talking.

2.Sheep cost less than rocket fuel.

3.Dragons have legs, arms, wings. Space ships run on all kinds of stuff nobody but rocket scientists can understand.

4. Dragons usually can't be handled. Pilots to run a ship are a dime a dozen.

5. We already have rocket ships. I saw one take off. I've never seen a dragon (not counting my monster-in-law). Have you???

6. Dragons are magic. Not Spaceships.

Need I say more? Shame on you.
    Fantasy >science fiction
    Soooo cool Dragons >silly space ships.

4. Bierschneeman

Bierschneeman Journeyed there and back again

what about that Sci-Fan series where the Dragons ARE spaceships.

there was another I remember "time of Dragons"? where the dragons are all supped up with cybernetics in a book vaguely familiar to reading "raptor Red"

5. Bierschneeman

Bierschneeman Journeyed there and back again

Just finished "Sleeper Awakes" ~ HG Wells

great book... short thankfully because its not as great as that, but reading it I had no Idea that SOOO Many scifi books and shows can be traced back to this singular tome. (Sleeper, Dune, so many more)
    a Man falls asleep to wake up 203 years later.
    simple plot with a few plot twists that Spoil.
    I enjoy that Wells adequately predict that Cars will dominate as the primary mode of transport from a time when cars were still a laughable novelty.

he also predicts (wrongly) modern flight capabilities, cities turning into huge flat roof tops that continue endlessly without breakup for parks sidewalks or streets (he didn't imagine Sky Scrapers like one of his contemporaries from france)

it gets a little political, and this continues his propensity for Right Winged Writings, where in this one the Left Wing Progressive Policies fall to the same "in the future" problems that Corporations fall to in Left Wing books as if these problems are unavoidable.

8/10

6. Darth Tater

Raptor Red?? I read thar 20- 25 years ago if that's what you're referring to? I think you must mean something different. Mine was about the age of dinosaurs from the perspective of a female raptor.

I was just trying to mess with Tom but dragons AS spaceships sound like the best of both worlds!

7. paul james

paul james Mixes poisons and sharpens knives with Kylar

Just started City and the Stars by Arthur C Clarke.

8. Darth Tater

I know he was a great author for his time but I wonder how well his work holds up today. I read rendezvous with Rama and was not impressed. I was bored and there was really no real resolution. Maybe it was just me. It will be interesting to hear your thoughts on it when you finish.

9. TomTB

I've not really liked the majority of 'classic' sf books I've read. I think I just have more of a modern taste. There's a few exceptions, but generally true on the whole..

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Sir Arthur

Sir Arthur Journeyed there and back again

Nice, it's one of my favorites as well. Coincidentally, I'm currently reading The Rise of Endymion. Typically excellent, and long winded Dan Simmons.

• Like Like x 2
  11. TomTB

That's why I'm re-reading the first two ... to remember the nuances so I can enjoy the last two, which I never got around to reading previously.

12. TomTB

Just finished Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky. Wow. Absolutely fantastic. Definitely one of the best books I've read. If you've ever wondered how genetically engineered spiders would evolve into sentience, then read this now!

• Like Like x 1
  13. kenubrion

kenubrion Journeyed there and back again

Tom, another good book with that theme is A Deepness In The Sky by Vernor Vinge.

• Like Like x 1
  14. TomTB

Thanks. Added to the list!

I've decided to read the last Expanse short stories which i never got around to reading previously, before I pick up the latest in the series, and wait for the ebook price to drop from £10, which is ridiculous ... it's £3 more than the paperback!

And yes, the short stories will count towards my Goodreads challenge.

15. afa

afa Journeyed there and back again

Great book. Really, really liked it.

Admittedly, I'm not a huge SF guy, so take my opinion for what it's worth.

I actually like Rendezvous with Rama, and I particularly liked the fact that there was no resolution. It was more of a deliberate thing, rather than being an unsatisfactory conclusion.

I've mainly only read some Clarke books, and I liked them. There is something about his books that really evokes a sense of wonder in me, and I love that. Modern SF (what little I've read of it) seems more preoccupied with being super-technical and heavy on the science, but light on the plot. It's almost like scientific hypotheses masquerading as novels, rather than a narrative plot with SF trappings.

I've recently bought the first two audiobooks, but I haven't gotten around to listening to them, yet. I hope they're good?

Cheating.