July: What Fantasy Book Are You Reading

daystar

Knows how to pronounce Kvothe
Danica said:
yes i quite liked the magicians apprentince. nothing new.. correct but good writing all the same. and i mean honestly.. if you can write WELL, stories that aren't anything very new plot line wise still have new characters to fall in love with and that is fine by me.

so i'm so pleased that after a month and a bit of reading dribble a have read two great books in a row!!! HURRAY for the month of july!!
you misunderstand me a bit. i only have three ratings for books; bad,good,and great. if i had to give it a grade it would e a 88 to a 90%(not 10 point grade scale).so when i say that is good it is a B really. I like how it is morally gray towards the end.Right now i am reading a feast for crows and i just finshed up a name of the wind and the last pendragon book.put that sussana clarke book on hold so i will read that next.

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
daystar said:
Danica said:
yes i quite liked the magicians apprentince. nothing new.. correct but good writing all the same. and i mean honestly.. if you can write WELL, stories that aren't anything very new plot line wise still have new characters to fall in love with and that is fine by me.

so i'm so pleased that after a month and a bit of reading dribble a have read two great books in a row!!! HURRAY for the month of july!!
you misunderstand me a bit. i only have three ratings for books; bad,good,and great. if i had to give it a grade it would e a 88 to a 90%(not 10 point grade scale).so when i say that is good it is a B really. I like how it is morally gray towards the end.Right now i am reading a feast for crows and i just finshed up a name of the wind and the last pendragon book.put that sussana clarke book on hold so i will read that next.
Ahh.. no i think it would be a B too. haha perhaps we should create a thread where everyone posts their idea of ratings so we don't get confused.. that or we all the one Ben put up.

my ratings are bad.. good/great and books that i think are the best of the best i wll rave on about them for a paragraph using lots of adjectives.

you know this rating thing is tough..

HazyJay

Is a wondrous friend of modest Kruppe
Just finished up the second Malazan book. Great story, wonderful characters, and enough questions to keep me going for a couple more books. :D

terribleusername

Got in a fistfight with Dresden
Finished Royal Assassin and am now reading Assassin's Quest. I'm a bit mad though, because the book was poorly printed and on most of the pages the words run all the way to the binding. I hate bending and creasing the spine but I have to do it. :(

Just finished reading the Born Queen by Greg Keyes, and am now reading Four Ways To Forgiveness by Ursula Le guin. I'm usually not a big fan of short stories but I'm really enjoying the way Ursula spins the stories.

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
prince of nothing book one was annoying me so started on sword of shadows which i'm enjoying (thanks for the recommendation Ben).

btkong

Journeyed there and back again
Staff member
You'll like Joe Abercrombie, Retunred. He takes the normal "cliques" and shatters them. Great story to be sure.

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member
Danica said:
prince of nothing book one was annoying me so started on sword of shadows which i'm enjoying (thanks for the recommendation Ben).
Yes...someone in my camp!

Jon Snow

Staff member
boooo am91962 (you gotta give us another name to call you by)

reading Stealing Death by Janet Lee Carey. Will also review this one when I'm done with it right here on BFB

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
Jon why are you booooing am91962?? how about am from now on?? anyway.. nah it didn't grab me after the first 100 pages of so.. i still had no idea what was going on and it didn't look to be telling me anytime soon so i shall pick it up i had other things i wanted to be reading (i love the site!!) which brings me to my point.. i'm am loving sword of shadows!! i didn't get out of bed till 1 today because i fell asleep with it next to me and just picked it up. i was angry that i wouldn't finish today because that would mean tomorrow i'll be nothing but finishing the book. hehe. so i cannot thank ben enough for bring this great series to my attention.. it's just such a flawless read. i'm not awestruck be the seamless transition between characters as i was with Gemmells Legend or wound up in a new world of magic like i was with Magicians Apprentice. It's just a great compelling read. so very happy with how this month is progressing reading wise.. i'm not getting anything else done that's for sure.

Yea, I've always used am91962 as my default login name for everything., my initials followed by the zip code that I lived at when I got my first email address.

I agree with you Danica on Prince being hard to follow at first. I read about fifty pages in and put it down for a month until I ran out of other stuff to read. I was pretty happy though that I picked it back up. A Cavern of Black Ice (I'm assuming you're on the first Sword of Shadows book) was pretty good. I still dream of strangling Mace on a regular basis. He's suck a great character to hate.

Jon Snow

Staff member
I'm just booing because he likes Prince of Nothing. Read the whole series and hated the last two books with vehemence.

I've just started my new job (at a new school) and it has been flat out. Haven't read much and there are still 180 pages of the book club left. Ben is going to have to get his act together and run the next one or if he can't do it someone else has to, because I am off my feet at the moment.

AND NO I WILL NOT LISTEN TO AUDIOBOOKS!

Forget WOT. Its great for like 6 books and the rest suck. Don't get me wrong, its a great series overall, but there are so many other ones out there that are much better. Malazan, Dresden, Codex of Aleria, Mistborn, First Law: take your pick.

Jon Snow

Staff member
dhoop17 said:
Forget WOT. Its great for like 6 books and the rest suck. Don't get me wrong, its a great series overall, but there are so many other ones out there that are much better. Malazan, Dresden, Codex of Aleria, Mistborn, First Law: take your pick.
Agreed. I haven't read WOT at all and I don't think I will bother. There is no need to read it as there are so many quality series out there.

I second, Dresden, Mistborn, Firstlaw

If you want some classics then read
Dune (sci-fi) - Frank Herbert
The Book of the new Sun - Gene Wolfe