July: What Fantasy Book Are You Reading

daystar

Knows how to pronounce Kvothe
the Dresden series doesnt even compare to the WOT .havent read mistborn or first law so i cant comment on those,but i have read the majority of the dresden series. It is a good series but I could name at least 4 or 5 series along the same basis(wizard or witch in present day location.outside the box detective or someone involved with police to solve crimes). Wot is completely original with nothing else like it.it gets a bit convoluted in the end but so does the thrones series(just finished feast and having so many characters you have to cut the book in half is just as bad if not worse).there are good things in each of the WOT books(even the later ones) and the main three characters are deep and well thought out.
P.s. dont you think grrm and jordan kinda look similar.(conspiricy theory) ;)

I'm still on Mistborn. Halfway done with book 3, I think it's my favorite of the series so far. We'll see how he ends it. I'm realizing there is definitly an art to writing a good ending.

daystar said:
. Wot is completely original with nothing else like it.

Farm boy grows up and all of a sudden learns magic to defeat the evil one. That pretty freaking cliche', granted its done better than most, but it still cliche'. The main reason I didn't like a lot of the books it the ungodly amount of unnecessary scenes with women bitching about weather, men, and everything else. I'm sitting there reading and in my mind I'm screaming, "WHEN WILL IT END!"

daystar

Knows how to pronounce Kvothe
dhoop17 said:
daystar said:
. Wot is completely original with nothing else like it.

Farm boy grows up and all of a sudden learns magic to defeat the evil one. That pretty freaking cliche', granted its done better than most, but it still cliche'. The main reason I didn't like a lot of the books it the ungodly amount of unnecessary scenes with women bitching about weather, men, and everything else. I'm sitting there reading and in my mind I'm screaming, "WHEN WILL IT END!"
the farm boy is the main character but the story has two other important characters. it is similar in the begining but there is no older wizard teaching him or anything like that.that is just the first book (magic has to introduced some way either learned or born with it)that has a kinda sorta cliche when refering to the farm boy.the second book on has no cliches. you could really say anything with magic is unoriginal but i think that is going a bit too far.The women in the story are strange and I found myself skimming over those sections not containing the main three but when you find a series that has only one real flaw (the women)it is a great story.also the fact there are so many unknowns and questions in the story is good. :D

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
ok so finished sword of shadows book one. had locke in my room and intended to get to it after book two of SOS.. but as it happens i had a few spare minutes until my bf rocked up ... so what happens.. i get hooked in by (what i imagine to) be a cute lil fellow who steals. so now i'm reading Locke and i am enjoying it. only 50 or so pages in but i think it has potenital, when i get used to the junping around.

terribleusername

Got in a fistfight with Dresden
Finished reading Farseer a few days. There's an incredible amount of pain those books. Geez.

I'm now a good chunk through Anansi Boys, just to give a break to the sword and sorcery stuff.

Im starting Thomas Covanant now. im 20 pages in and pretty into it so far. this is the first book where im crying at the beginning of the book. lol

Kalam said:
Yeah I agree about the farseer books, I hated how they ended too.
could be spoiler here:
I might not read that series. I heard the ending is bleak. i dont need a totally happy ending but i dont like a depressing one.

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member
am91962 said:
I was never able to get into Thomas Covenant, but I'll probably pick it up again some time. I'm currently reading the first Atermis Fowl book.
I reviewed that one just recently!

l3gacy

Dr. Awesomesauce
Staff member
I just finished Silverthorn last night and picked up Darkness at Sethanon, the final book in the riftwar saga. I have been slacking lately in my audio book, but am just a few chapters from the end of it (The Shadow Rising, Book 4 of WoT).

Not sure what's after Sethanon... I may have to post in the "what should I read next" thread!

^ If you are thinking of continuing with Feist, definitely DO NOT read the series that follows up after Riftwar, the 'serpent war saga'. It was horrible. If you want to keep reading Feist, you can try his Empire Trilogy which he co-wrote with Janny Wurts which i thought was great, easily the best of Feist i've ever read.

--------------

I'm still on the wheel of time right now I'm almost finishing up ''The Fires of Heaven''. IMO Rand's libido is broken, how the hell does the man act so indifferent to three seriously hot chicks just begging for it.

charlesvelasco123 said:
^ If you are thinking of continuing with Feist, definitely DO NOT read the series that follows up after Riftwar, the 'serpent war saga'. It was horrible. If you want to keep reading Feist, you can try his Empire Trilogy which he co-wrote with Janny Wurts which i thought was great, easily the best of Feist i've ever read.

--------------

I'm still on the wheel of time right now I'm almost finishing up ''The Fires of Heaven''. IMO Rand's libido is broken, how the hell does the man act so indifferent to three seriously hot chicks just begging for it.

I agree about Empire. I have that one on my re-read list in another year or so.

I just finished Windhaven by Grrm and Lisa Tuttle. Okay books, the ending was garbage though. I'm reading Jackqueline Carey's Banewreaker, I really like her Kushiel's books, but this one isn't seeming so good, a bit of a TLotR ripoff.

l3gacy

Dr. Awesomesauce
Staff member
am91962 said:
I just finished Windhaven by Grrm and Lisa Tuttle. Okay books, the ending was garbage though. I'm reading Jackqueline Carey's Banewreaker, I really like her Kushiel's books, but this one isn't seeming so good, a bit of a TLotR ripoff.
I'm pretty sure that's the point-- it's LotR from the perspective of Sauron.

That's how it seems. After getting in a bit further I can't help but feel this is the way TLotR should have been (sacrilege!). I'm liking the fact that the characters are much more gray, you can really empathize with the "bad" guys.