July - what fantasy books are reading?

Antoxx

Journeyed there and back again
I started reading wheel of time a long time ago. I got up to the 5th book and jordan up and died on me, so thinking that it was all done, I put the books down and moved on thinking it wouldnt get finished. Now the series is finished, I started re-reading the books at the begining of may and am on book 7 now. Im very much so enjoying the books, but dreading this slump I keep hearing about. I will have to slog through it to get to the sanderson stuff I suppose, since I dont see myself cheeping out with summeries. Just how bad does the slump get? Im hoping its not going to be as much like pulling teeth as others have told me.

after wot is finished, I am thinking of picking up acacia by david anthony durham, has anyone here read this that can tell me if its worth getting into? I have heard that its good but will make me want to kill myself.
Having just read though them (I'm up to book 13 now) I'd say book 9 is the worse, followed by 8 and 10. For me, it's more they get really repititive and nothing seems to happen. Theyy're not awful and it's not as if his writing style deteriorates or anything, it's just that you read 2 or 3 hundred pages and then wonder why it's taken so long to get nowhere. Keep at it though, as improves from book 11.

l3gacy

Dr. Awesomesauce
Staff member
Having just read though them (I'm up to book 13 now) I'd say book 9 is the worse, followed by 8 and 10. For me, it's more they get really repititive and nothing seems to happen. Theyy're not awful and it's not as if his writing style deteriorates or anything, it's just that you read 2 or 3 hundred pages and then wonder why it's taken so long to get nowhere. Keep at it though, as improves from book 11.
I think it's significantly better now than it was when those books were new. If I had read book 8 then had to wait 18-24 months for the next one to come out, I would have been ticked. The way I did it, I only had to wait for TOM and AMOL.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
I think it's significantly better now than it was when those books were new. If I had read book 8 then had to wait 18-24 months for the next one to come out, I would have been ticked. The way I did it, I only had to wait for TOM and AMOL.
I still haven't gotten to AMOL. But I read all the Robert Jordan books in a row (twice -- ack!). So they kind of ran together for me. You know, finish one, get the next one off the shelf, etc. I can't even tell you the names of most of the individual books, let alone what happened in them.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Starting reading Grave Peril! Decided to have 2 books on the go - one for the commute and one for home. It's great so far, really enjoying it =)

TCSimpson

Might as well be a Malazan regular
Death's Lighter than a Feather is all I have to say about AMOL. Was so hyped for it that I read it in three days. Then read it again. I think The Emperor's Soul might be Sanderson's best work or at least tied with the greatness that is Way of Kings.

TCSimpson

Might as well be a Malazan regular
That is very interesting! Why do you think this?
The characters felt real, had real motivations, things I could relate to, and the plot was deep for such a short book. The intrigue was there along with a fully realized world, dueling aristocrats, religious and philosophical differences, and as usual, a great magic system. The prose flowed well, and just kept me reading. I mean, hey, it's even up for a Hugo.

Haven

Became a Faceless Man
I recently finished The Lives of Tao by Wesley Chu, brilliant brilliant book, more sci-fi than fantasy tbh, but nevertheless a solid book well worth reading.

Also finished Tome of the Undergates by Sam Sykes, the book was...slightly insane :p Its the only way that can describe what happens..its fast paced, gritty, weird and ploughs on with utter disregard for the reader and their understanding. That said, I still liked the book and am now on the second(more insane) book. :D

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Also finished Tome of the Undergates by Sam Sykes, the book was...slightly insane :p Its the only way that can describe what happens..its fast paced, gritty, weird and ploughs on with utter disregard for the reader and their understanding. That said, I still liked the book and am now on the second(more insane) book. :D
I liked that one as well. I have had the sequel sitting on my shelf for awhile. Just need to find time to read.

I don't normally pay attention to authors on Twitter, but Sam Sykes can usually make me laugh.

bobo

Knows how to pronounce Kvothe
A quarter way through Theft of Swords (Riyria Revelations). Book is extremely simple and straight forward, with a plot like a 'B' grade made-for-late night TV movie. But surprisingly I'm enjoying it and breezing through. Technically, the book has more in common with Terry Brooks' book than a GRRMs'. Guilty pleasure for liking it so much.

Thanks to whomever who recommended it to me earlier.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
A quarter way through Theft of Swords (Riyria Revelations). Book is extremely simple and straight forward, with a plot like a 'B' grade made-for-late night TV movie. But surprisingly I'm enjoying it and breezing through. Technically, the book has more in common with Terry Brooks' book than a GRRMs'. Guilty pleasure for liking it so much.

Thanks to whomever who recommended it to me earlier.
I think it's better than Terry Brooks. But, it is pretty simple. The difference from GRRM has got to be that Michael J. Sullivan planned it out pretty well in advance, so the pace doesn't really stall too much and it actually comes to a conclusion.

yobtaf

A farm boy with a sword
Well...haven't been here for a while...

Just got back into reading during the school break. Am a little way through The Hero and the crown by Robin McKinley although I'm not enjoying it too much. I picked it up cos it won a Newberry medal and idk other books I read that got that accolade were pretty good. Right now the characters seem very cookie cutterish and black/white (stereotypical heroine princess who has to act like a boy with a bitchy, girly nemesis). Just wondering, does it get any better? Is there anything worth reading on?

Anyways other books that were read: The Princess Bride by William Goldman (not really fantasy...unless fairytales are considered such)Was a little brief in places and I found the intrusion of the narrator odd, but nonetheless I really liked it. Best first chapter and likeable characters. Buttercup is probably one of my most liked heroines now...

The Forgotten Beasts of Eld by Patricia McKillop. I liked the lyrical prose. The concept was interesting and decently pulled off although the plot was somewhat simplistic. The characters were quite good and I sort of liked Sybel. The ending was kind of sudden though...

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
The Forgotten Beasts of Eld by Patricia McKillop. I liked the lyrical prose.
I haven't read that one yet, but sometimes I pick up something by McKillip after having read a particularly depressing book. It usually cheers me up.

Antoxx

Well...haven't been here for a while...

Just got back into reading during the school break. Am a little way through The Hero and the crown by Robin McKinley although I'm not enjoying it too much. I picked it up cos it won a Newberry medal and idk other books I read that got that accolade were pretty good. Right now the characters seem very cookie cutterish and black/white (stereotypical heroine princess who has to act like a boy with a bitchy, girly nemesis). Just wondering, does it get any better? Is there anything worth reading on?

Anyways other books that were read: The Princess Bride by William Goldman (not really fantasy...unless fairytales are considered such)Was a little brief in places and I found the intrusion of the narrator odd, but nonetheless I really liked it. Best first chapter and likeable characters. Buttercup is probably one of my most liked heroines now...

The Forgotten Beasts of Eld by Patricia McKillop. I liked the lyrical prose. The concept was interesting and decently pulled off although the plot was somewhat simplistic. The characters were quite good and I sort of liked Sybel. The ending was kind of sudden though...
I've read The Blue Sword by McKinley and had same experience as you're having. Even bearing in mind the intended YA audience I still thought it was pretty average, although her books are supposed to be highly rated. Also read The Princess Bride a couple of years back and really enjoyed that. Found it hard not to make constant comparisons to the movie though!

moonspawn

Started reading Dust of Dreams yesterday. Happy to plunge back into the deep cold river that is the Malazan series.

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
I finished Broken Homes by Ben Aaronovtich. It is the latest in the Folly Series. It was awesome, smashed it out in two sittings. what a twist, my head i still spinning. This is definitely shaping up to be just as good as Dresden. This book in particular had less of the annoying London references so it was much easier to read in that respect.

Can't wait to hear what you think about it Laurentius

now I have to get back to the uni work :(

Stupendous Man

A farm boy with a sword
I think it's better than Terry Brooks. But, it is pretty simple. The difference from GRRM has got to be that Michael J. Sullivan planned it out pretty well in advance, so the pace doesn't really stall too much and it actually comes to a conclusion.
Riyria is definitely simple and straightforward. But it's still a fun ride. I would recommend it to any fantasy beginners or anyone looking for something easy to get into an breeze through. Guilty pleasure? Perhaps. If you're looking for entertainment you can certainly do worse than the Riyria revelations.

I think SB touched on it in her post but I believe there's something to be said about the fact that Sullivan had a clear plan as to where the books were going. For some reason, I was able to enjoy the series more knowing that the books were all complete and just waiting to be published. It certainly gave me a goal to work toward.

Stupendous Man

A farm boy with a sword
Started reading Dust of Dreams yesterday. Happy to plunge back into the deep cold river that is the Malazan series.
I'm currently reading Dust of Dreams as well. I'm about halfway through and am really taking my time with it. I actually think I'm going to take a break and not read The Crippled God right after Dust. I think I just don't want it to end, you know? I know there are more books in the Malazan world but I believe most are done by Ian Esslemont and the style is quite different from Erikson. Apparently to the point that it feels like a new story. Maybe that's the point though? Different feel for different stories for the same world? I'll have to create a thread about the Esselmont books in the future. Now I'm rambling...