June 2011 - What fantasy book are you reading?

I am continuing with "The Long Price Quartet" series. Finished the first book and I am now almost half way through the second book - "A Betrayal in Winter".

Very interesting series, the reader knows most of the secrets that are hidden from some of the characters, the crux of the story are the moral choices involved. You know the choices that are available, but you don't know what choices the characters will make. After he each turn or plot twist a new moral or difficult ethical choice is presented to the main characters.

I am enjoying it very much, though I can understand why some would find it boring.

B81

Mixes poisons and sharpens knives with Kylar
Half of Memories of Ice is done.

There is a up and down for me woth this Malazan series. There are parts of the book which really amaze me and then again there seems to be something missing.
What I probably miss is he deeper characterisation of the main protagonists. It seems to me that you get to know the person and then this level of characterisation stay pretty much the same, even if the figure is quite often present in the story.

The other thing is the structure of the world; the fact that you are thrown into the world is interesting but in the end, I prefer the way that martin builds his world - which is similar in scope.

And another thing is also connected to character developement, because the only traits the we get to know from the persons is selfpreservation and a constant war mode. There is no love, no affection no fears or concerns for loved ones (because there are none), no thoughts of future, no personal past... Or when they are, the seem clumsy and out of context.

So, we have a war, a big scope bad ass war. And all the characters are just soldiers... nothing more.

When I accept that this is just a fantasticly executed war maneuver and nothing more, then I'm, able to enjoy it more.

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
finished proven guilty. it eased up on the every female i needed to give a rating out of 10 ... even the 16 yr olds. i've started watching Game of Thrones and oh my lordy is there some adult content in there. funny how it's all a certain gender's parts ... has anyone wondering about still living in a patriarchal society yet?? isn't over 2000+ yrs enough?

nyway i'm on to white night. Harry is again trying to deal with something probably beyond his power, but the last book gave me a tantalising bit of info in terms of characters and their relationships between one another so i'm ready hoping i get more on that.

l3gacy

Dr. Awesomesauce
Staff member
Halfway through with book 2 of Mistborn. It's a good read-- I'll likely finish it by the end of this week depending on the free time I have with my new job (starting on Monday).

All the Malazan love on the board has me considering tackling the series. Will keep thinking about it.

Still reading book 3 of the Long Price Quartet. Danica if you just started watching Game of Thrones, after the first episode there is not so much gratuitous sex. Although I didn't exactly turn my head during the first one. I have only seen the first 3 though. Much better than the constant man on man action of True Blood which I had to stop watching.

I started redoing my youth football website with a new theme as a base. Its driving me nuts though because each change I make in a file is taking 20 minutes to render for some reason so I constantly think I screwed something up in the code, panic and then start over or do something over unnecessarily.

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
i've finished White Night and i'll go on to the next dresden book, whatever it is. i'm just going to keep reading it until someone in their infinite wisdom suggests something new that ill knock my socks off. There you go guys, i challenge you all to find me a book that will knock my socks off.

Dale

Well I'm progressing through Red Seas Under Red Skies, and I'm enjoying it more now than I was. It is quite a bit different than Lies, and I think it's good-different (especially the piracy parts.) I don't think it's as definitive as the first one but it's definitely worth a read.

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member
Finished Storm of Swords. I really enjoyed reading it the second time. Yes I knew of the big plots but all the little things I didn't remember were a joy. On to a Feast for Crows and I'll be ready for Dance.

Will probably read Sabriel after that

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
OMG! the worst thing happened to me!! like THE WORST!! ok prepare yourselves ... my kindle battery was empty and it turned off = i died a little inside. This is the first time my beloved Kindle has failed me and made me think maybe having the hard copy of the book was a good idea. Anyway after that devastating news which i know you'll all need a minute to recover from .. B81 i don't want to re read ASoIaF and my apologies but i don't want to read that book you recommended. So i'm thinking i shall read .... more of the amazing writer the wrote the best book L3gacy and I have read in our lives, (Tigana) the brilliant Guy Gavriel Kay. Just got to find one. Might check out Ben's suggestions on his mass of new lists.

B81

I've put Memories of Icew on hold. It didnt really grip me... and I need to start the asoiaf reread. Which Im doing. Now.

OMG! the worst thing happened to me!! like THE WORST!! ok prepare yourselves ... my kindle battery was empty and it turned off = i died a little inside. This is the first time my beloved Kindle has failed me and made me think maybe having the hard copy of the book was a good idea. Anyway after that devastating news which i know you'll all need a minute to recover from .. B81 i don't want to re read ASoIaF and my apologies but i don't want to read that book you recommended. So i'm thinking i shall read .... more of the amazing writer the wrote the best book L3gacy and I have read in our lives, (Tigana) the brilliant Guy Gavriel Kay. Just got to find one. Might check out Ben's suggestions on his mass of new lists.
Don't reread Danica there are good books out there. I finished Daniel Abraham's Long Price Quartet, you would like that series. It's more suited for women, I think, than men because of the lack of action through most of the books, but I still enjoyed it quite a bit. I would say it's the most original fantasy series I have read since Locke Lamora and Warded Man. Abraham has a strong grasp on human nature and psychology, much stronger than most authors. It's better than Locke, not as good as Warded Man.

I just started Daniel Abraham's The Dragon's Path (as also recommended by B81), which is quite good so far and much more of a traditional (in the modern sense) fantasy story in the style of GRR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire and Dave Duncan's Handful of Men.

l3gacy

Dr. Awesomesauce
Staff member
I've got no time to read right now so I've made very little progress on Mistborn book 2. I got a couple of audio books so I put Blood Rites on my mp3 player and have been listening to that in my car. I think I'm just a few chapters from the end of that one. I will likely go on to Dead Beat because I keep getting told that's one of the best ones in the series, then I might start listening to Night Angel. With the amount of time I spend in the car nowadays I should be able to attack some audio books.

l3gacy

Dr. Awesomesauce
Staff member
Finished Blood Rites and started Dead Beat. Got a 120 mile drive this afternoon so should get several more chapters knocked out today.

About 63% through Mistborn. Any time I have to do real reading is taken up by work and studying for a certification exam I have to get by the end of the month, so I just haven't had a lot of time to read it. Once I pass the exam I should be okay to pick the Kindle back up and continue Mistborn in earnest.

I have been reading The Codex Alera by Jim Butcher and I cannot reccomend it enough!

It has great characterization, fast paced action, interesting magic system, political intrigue, and at points some really funny parts!

Has anybody else read them?

The Dragon's Path

I finished The Dragon's Path by Abraham. Good book and I will finish the series. It didn't have the originality of the Long Price Quartet, this book was much more traditional modern fantasy. He writes it like Martin did SOIAF, from different characters points of view, each getting their own recurring chapter. At the end of the book they printed an interview where Abraham described a meeting amongst a bunch of fantasy heavyweights including Martin and others out at some millionaires house out in the desert where they discussed fantasy writing. I wish they would have gotten more into what transpired at that meeting.

I think I will read Fevre Dream by George Martin next recommended on BFB as the #1 vampire book. Still waiting on Dance with Dragons and Ghost Story for July.

In other news, Warded Man has been optioned for film. I can't get too excited though because so many fantasy movies based on good books are horrible. Lord of the Rings and the HBO SOIAF series being exceptions to the rule.

Brandon Sanderson

I see Sanderson has written another Mistborn book and is finishing the Wheel of Time series. I wish he was writing the Way of Kings sequel right now instead.

That guy writes at the pace of Stephen King. He said he writes 10,000 words a day. That is damn impressive considering the quality of his writing. I am writing a youth football book and although I am doing it only in my spare time, it takes me about 3 weeks to get out 10k words.

As an aside, you notice when politicians put out books before a campaign or right after they retire or lose an election they don't like to do interviews about the specific content of the book, because they have no idea what's actually in it. Not only are they taking credit for writing ghost written books, they are too lazy to even read them.

afa

Journeyed there and back again
I see Sanderson has written another Mistborn book and is finishing the Wheel of Time series. I wish he was writing the Way of Kings sequel right now instead.
Really? I had no idea Sanderson was working on another Mistborn novel. [Runs to Wikipedia to check.] Yup, looks like he is and it will be called The Alloy of Law. Apparently it takes place 300 years after the events of the trilogy. I can't wait. I thought Mistborn was excellent. And so were Warbreaker and -- to a slightly lesser extent -- Elantris. I also love what he has done with The Wheel of Time. A truly great writer.

Sanderson, in fact, has quickly vaulted to near the top of my favourite fantasy authors list, right alongside Joe Abercrombie and the newly inducted George R.R. Martin. Speaking of GRRM, I just finished the fourth book in ASoIaF. I only started reading the first after a couple of episodes of Game of Thrones were out, so I've read them all back-to-back in fairly quick succession. And I have to say - a terrific series. A very different sort of fantasy, as well, focusing far more on political machinations and intrigue than any of the common fantasy elements, like magic or even war.

Oh, and by the way... Hi! Been a while...

afa

Journeyed there and back again
This is gonna be a long one...

So now I'm thinking what I want to read next. (And this is gonna be one of my trademark way-too-long-to-bother-with posts. Admit it... you guys missed me.) Here are my choices:

1. The Elfstones of Shannara - the second of Terry Brooks's original Shannara trilogy. I've read the first, and wasn't particularly impressed. Seemed far too much of a LotR clone, without any of the charm or Tolkien's gift of prose.

2. The Lost Symbol - Dan Brown's latest Robert Langdon novel. I know it's not fantasy, but once in a while I like to read something in between fantasy novels for the change. Also, reading other genres reminds me just how great fantasy is... though I did rather enjoy the first two Langdon books (or is that sacrilege to say so?).

3. The Black Magician trilogy - Trudi Canavan's debut trilogy. I haven't even started these, and haven't heard too much about them, but bought them just because I remember always seeing them in the bookstore whenever I wandered the fantasy section.

4. A Cruel Wind / Swordbreaker - two Glen Cook ebooks I bought from the folks over at Baen (for those who know). Haven't read any 'Cook book' (neither the author nor the genre...) so not really sure what to expect.

5. The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant - Stephen R. Donaldson's classic.

6. The Other Lands - the second in David Anthony Durham's Acacia trilogy. I wasn't terribly in love with the first one, but I did think it picked up as it went along and thought the last third or so was quite good.

7. The Girl Who Played with Fire - the second in Steig Larsson's Millennium trilogy. For the same reason as Dan Brown.

8. The Way of Kings - the first in Brandon Sanderson's new Stormlight Archive series. I'm guessing I will like this, considering I liked everything of Sanderson's that I've read heretofore.

9. The War of the Flowers - *sigh* I've had this damn book for so long. It just lies there and lies there, and I've never bothered to pick it up and start. I have no idea why. Don't tell Tad Williams.

10. Memory, Sorrow and Thorn - *sigh* Like above, another series I've had for ages but just can't seem to bring myself to start reading. Still don't tell Tad Williams.

*pondering*